PDA

View Full Version : New to DA buffing

spbill
04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm a complete newbie about to buy the pc 7424 and intend to practice on my Subaru Outback wagon. I don't intend to use any pads with significant abrasive qualities.. just some light swirl removing, polish & wax.. but, do I have to worry about those wonderful plastic roof ribs and body panels ? I've read that "paint is paint" and am not too worried about the side panels.. but will a light swirl removing pad adversely effect the roof "ribs/bars" ? I know that I'll probably be hitting them with the pads. Other than that, I'm not concerned about striking out on this new endeavor. Thanks.

fech
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I have an outback and use the edge pads all of the time. I just make sure to tape off anything that I dont want the pad to hit. Other than that, no problems.

spbill
04-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm a complete newbie about to buy the pc 7424 and intend to practice on my Subaru Outback wagon. I don't intend to use any pads with significant abrasive qualities.. just some light swirl removing, polish & wax.. but, do I have to worry about those wonderful plastic roof ribs and body panels ? I've read that "paint is paint" and am not too worried about the side panels.. but will a light swirl removing pad adversely effect the roof "ribs/bars" ? I know that I'll probably be hitting them with the pads. Other than that, I'm not concerned about striking out on this new endeavor. Thanks.

I feel a little uneasy asking for more information.. but, I'm new at this and I'm old.. so here goes: Since any taping that I do will probably be minimal and amateur, will hitting the black plastic roof ribs with a pc/polishing pad/swirl remover effect the plastic ribs ? I never worried too much with hand polish/wax jobs and there was no ill effect. I'm convinced (after much reading here) that "paint is paint" with regard to my side panels. I'm thinking that I shouldn't worry too much about a Subaru Outback wagon anyway... but it's the practice car before I do my wife's Accord. Thanks