PDA

View Full Version : Review -Edge 6" wool pads

trlblazer3
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
About a month or so ago I had made the decision to give the Edge system a try on the rotary. I wanted to spring for some wool pads to use strictly with the rotary for a multitude of reasons, and the Edge system fit my needs to a tee. The variety of wool pads, the double-sided factor, perfect centering all played into my decision. I've been an LC guy since I first picked up a PC, and this was my "toe in the water" with the Edge product line. This weekend was finally my chance to take them for the inagural spin. Here's what I found.

1. First and foremost, a little feedback about the Edge system itself. Anyone using a rotary should be using this system IMO. Not having to play with the pads to get them centered was awesome. Also, the vehicle I was doing (99 Jeep Grand Cherokee) was in need of a 2 step compound & polish, and switching the pad was a breeze. I was using the updated Heavy Duty adapter, and it was very nice to use. Initial feedback on the pads was positive -the construction and overall feel made me comfortable putting these pads to the paint. Very solid feel and very fluffy

2. Now onto the pads. Like I mentioned, the vehicle I was doing needed a compound, as it had only ever seen the car wash tunnels. I started using the yellow wool pad with OC. The yellow pad is a medium-cut, 50% wool/50% wool acrylic blend. It took 99% of the swirls out with one pass. Some of the heavier scratches required a second pass, but quickly vanished. The pads were VERY easy to contol -much easier than foam pads I've used with the rotary before. It just gave me better feedback while in use, which was a very nice feeling that I really wasn't expecting. Buffer swirls were minimal, even with using a heavier cut polish & medium cut pad. One thing of note -the pad shedded like mad the first few panels. I spurred the pad with a Duo-Spur and it seemed to help. After about the 3rd panel, the shedding subsided dramatically. About halfway through the detail I switched sides, and I experienced the same shedding issue with that side as well.

My final polish was the Edge blue and OP. The blue pad is a finishing pad, 70% acrylic/30% wool pad. The feedback is essentially the same as the yellow, but I was extremely happy and a little surprised with the gloss that the pad left behind. I was figuring since this was my first go that some holograming would remain, but not true at all. Removed the small holograming that I had from compounding and left the surface in pristine condition & ready for LSP. Shedding on this pad was a little less than on the yellow, but it was still present and worthy of note.

In my initial experience with these wool pads and the Edge system, I would have to say Edge made a new customer for a long time. The wool pads performed flawlessly and gave me amazing results, especially for a first time wool user. I thoroughly enjoyed the benefits of the Edge system on the rotary, and will probably make the swith on my UDM as well in the near future. In summary:
Pros:
-Pads feel well-constructed and built to last.
-Very easy to control. Gave me very good feeback while in use
-Perfectly centered, every time. Saved me time and aggravation.
-Double-sided. Saved me space in my detailing-kit-to-go.
-Very good overall value. Essentially 2 pads in one.
Cons:
-Shedding was the biggest downfall I could find. Upon my first pad spur, It looked like I went 5 rounds with a yellow sheep. It did subside upon use however.

Bottom line -for anyone looking for a wool pad system for the rotary, the Edge system is the way to go. I am very happy with my purchase and would absolutely recommend it to my detailing bretheren. At 2/$19.99 (currently), its a value thats hard to beat. If anyone has any questions that I did not touch on, just let me know. I will be happy to answer as best I can.

makdaddy626
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for info! Great review.

bryansbestwax
04-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I just ordered the following 8" pads from edge

1 Black wool
2 aqua wool
2 Blue foam

I used them at another shop and fell in love

rwisejr
04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Just a Tip about the shedding. You should wash the pads in fresh water .As you spin dry you use your spur or brush and that will take care of the major intial shedding.

trlblazer3
04-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a Tip about the shedding. You should wash the pads in fresh water .As you spin dry you use your spur or brush and that will take care of the major intial shedding.

Good suggestion, but I guess I forgot to mention that I did that, and the shedding was still excessive (IMO) upon first use. Like I said in my original post, the yellow's shedding was greater than the blue, so I'm assuming it has to do with the make-up of the pad that contributed to the difference.

Mindflux
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I just ordered the Yellow, Green, Blue and Ultra Fine White right from John @ Edge. Great folks. I can't wait. :)

Are you still liking these, trlblazer3?

netspec
04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I have 2 green and may purchase 2 blue and 2 white a little later.