PDA

View Full Version : Best coating for chrome wheels?

briarpatch
02-26-2021, 07:05 PM
So...it finally got warm enough to wash my wife's Yukon. After a couple (minor) snow events, it was nice to get the salt and junk off it. It has those 22-inch chrome wheels, which I knew were going to be a bugger to maintain. I used up the remainder of my McKees wheel coating (old formula) on them (6 months ago), and it is gone. I had to polish some problem spots. My question is.....what do you guys recommend for coating them? I have some Cquartz Dlux, but was wondering if maybe someone had better success with something else....say Gtechniq wheel armor or Gyeon Rim?

The Guz
02-26-2021, 08:01 PM
So...it finally got warm enough to wash my wife's Yukon. After a couple (minor) snow events, it was nice to get the salt and junk off it. It has those 22-inch chrome wheels, which I knew were going to be a bugger to maintain. I used up the remainder of my McKees wheel coating (old formula) on them (6 months ago), and it is gone. I had to polish some problem spots. My question is.....what do you guys recommend for coating them? I have some Cquartz Dlux, but was wondering if maybe someone had better success with something else....say Gtechniq wheel armor or Gyeon Rim?

I had better results with DLUX compared to those other two you mentioned. 22ple VM1 has given me the best performance of any of these.

Chrome sometimes doesn’t take well to coatings.

57Rambler
02-26-2021, 09:41 PM
Chrome sometimes doesn’t take well to coatings.

Probably has something to do with the natural "lubricity" of chrome ? :dunno:

In our stamping operations, for deep drawing processes we often chrome-plate the die "punch" and the bottom portion of the die set that the punch enters. Doing this allows the metal to "flow" more easily and prevents tearing.