PDA

View Full Version : Black & tan trim restoration

MattN03
02-25-2021, 06:19 PM
I'm attempting to restore the exterior trim on my 2008 F250. I removed the cowl last night and applied Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. It looked great last night after I reinstalled the cowl panels on the truck. When I came out to the shop today, the panels looked like I had never applied the Wolfgang trim sealant. Is this to be expected? Am I using the wrong product? I also need to restore the tan trim on the truck so I thought the Wolfgang would work well because it would work with black or tan.

Eldorado2k
02-25-2021, 06:28 PM
I'm attempting to restore the exterior trim on my 2008 F250. I removed the cowl last night and applied Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. It looked great last night after I reinstalled the cowl panels on the truck. When I came out to the shop today, the panels looked like I had never applied the Wolfgang trim sealant.

And that’s exactly why I think it’s among the most overrated products I’ve ever tried... I’m probably the only person who gives it a big thumbs down.

My suggestion for you would be to try Mothers Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner. If it’s the type of plastic that’s porus and plays well with that cleaner it can work a near miracle. Good luck.

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

Rsurfer
02-25-2021, 07:14 PM
Did you clean it well before applying WETS? If not do as Eldo recommend and clean with Mothers and wipe with IPA and then apply WETS. This should give you at least 6 months of protection.

If after cleaning, the black or grey seem dull, I would recommend Solution Finish topped with WETS.

PaulMys
02-25-2021, 07:15 PM
The WG trim sealant (WETS) is not for restoration of severely neglected trim. It is a maintenance product for well-kept trim.

Get the trim clean. IPA or trim cleaner like Ric said above. Then try Solution Finish. More than one application may be needed.

MattN03
02-25-2021, 07:55 PM
Please forgive this novice, but what is IPA?

MisterSnoop
02-25-2021, 08:00 PM
Please forgive this novice, but what is IPA?

isopropyl alcohol (or overly hoppy beer)

MattN03
02-25-2021, 08:04 PM

:xyxthumbs:

The Guz
02-25-2021, 08:58 PM
Solution Finish would be my choice to restore the trim once clean and prepped. Then you can top it with WETS.

Epilogts
02-25-2021, 10:00 PM
No such thing.

57Rambler
02-26-2021, 09:35 PM
I agree with everyone else on using the Solution Finish. Unfortunately, that will only work for your black trim (although they also make a gray version).

For your tan trim, there isn't a color-specific product like Solution Finish, so you might try this :

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4 (https://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c4-trim-restorer.html)

briarpatch
02-27-2021, 12:25 PM
ColorBond and SEM have trim paint to match the manufacturers colors. Solution Finish is a dye, and will need to be redone at some point. I'd be looking to paint the tan trim before I'd be relying on a trim protection product like WETS. Truthfully, if I had the cowl panel already out, I'd be painting that too.

Rsurfer
02-27-2021, 03:16 PM
ColorBond and SEM have trim paint to match the manufacturers colors. Solution Finish is a dye, and will need to be redone at some point. I'd be looking to paint the tan trim before I'd be relying on a trim protection product like WETS. Truthfully, if I had the cowl panel already out, I'd be painting that too.

Technically Solution Finish is not a dye, but refined graphite. You are correct that it will not last as long as paint and requires a topper (WETS) to get long term protection.

briarpatch
02-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Technically Solution Finish is not a dye, but refined graphite. You are correct that it will not last as long as paint and requires a topper (WETS) to get long term protection.

I stand corrected....thank you for the clarification

MattN03
03-01-2021, 08:52 AM
I bought a bottle of Solution Finish. It did the trick and is a very impressive product. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

TTQ B4U
03-01-2021, 09:53 AM
I bought a bottle of Solution Finish. It did the trick and is a very impressive product. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Give is a coating of CarPro Dlux or GYEON Q2 TRIM within the next 2-3 weeks. I like Dlux better as it's easier to use overall. It will lock-in the look for quite a while.