PDA

View Full Version : REVIEWS - Wolfgang 3.0 Polishes + a few others

makdaddy626
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Well, I was hoping to do this as part of a show-n-shine complete with before, during, and after pics but things didn't work out the way I hoped...

My sister has been after me to detail her Sienna for some time now, it's the only vehicle left in the family that I haven't touched. Well, it's white, it's BIG, and it was filthy so I just wasn't excited about this (free) detail. But, she is my sis so I planned on finally biting the bullet and shining it up for this weekend. As luck would have it, last week, Meghan posted offering to send someone the new WG 3.0 polishes for a test drive and review and I thought PERFECT! Well, luck took a turn for the worse weather wise when Saturday proved to be rainy and miserable all day, not to be detered, I decided to do the whole thing on Sunday. The van was so bad that I didn't finish until almost midnight last night and bailed on the after pics. Hopefully I can get her to take a few shots before it turns green from all the pollen around here and post a proper show-n-shine then. For now, you'll have to settle for some quick reviews...

Wolfgang 3.0 Duo (Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze)
According to the product descriptions these polishes are a collaborative effort between WG and Menz and the the Menz influence is easily identifiable as soon as you open the bottle. The swirl remover looks and feels very much like S.I.P. and the Finishing Glaze looks and feels like 106ff (Nano). In fact, if put in an unmarked bottle, I would have a hard time telling them apart.

I used both products with the Flex forced rotation random orbit polisher and LC CCS pads. I started on the hood with a white pad and Total Swirl Remover and the results were great, almost all swirls were removed with one pass and the finish was great, a second pass removed the remaining defects with the exception of a few deeper scratches. Next I broke out the finishing glaze and a grey CCS pad. While the SIP, oops, I mean TSR3.0 finished VERY well (well enough that you could go straight to LSP at least on white), the Finishing Glaze did add a little more jeweling. The finish was REALLY nice and glossy, every bit as good as I expect from their Menz counterparts. So that's the overview, next I'll try to provide some of my thoughts broken out by category...

Packaging: The familiar black bottles of WG, nothing wrong with them all though if you're use to using the squeeze bottles received as free gifts (or sold seperately at AG), be aware that the hole in the top of the bottle of is significantly lager. It took some getting used to before I could keep from putting more polish on than I intended. Mind you this isn't really a flaw, it's just different.

Correction & Finish: On par with Menz! What more can I say?

Dusting: Ok, this one is interesting, I got far less dusting than I usually see with SIP from the TSR3.0... Now, I'm not sure yet if I just had a good day or if the WG polish really dusts less but in my first experience I was very favorably imressed. FYI - I treated the polishes in the same way I do Menz - spritzing the pad with H2O between panels.

Value: I've got some mixed feelings on the value issue - On the one hand, the WG duo costs more per oz than Menz, but, on the other, they are 16oz bottles rather than 32. Since I would expect a 16 oz bottle of Menz to cost more per oz than 32 bottle this isn't all that unexpected.

Conclusion: It would be very easy to question whether the new WG duo is in fact a relabelling of Menz SIP and Nano in smaller bottles. Since AG says this isn't the case I'll believe it but the results were pretty close to the same for me (and that is definately NOT a bad thing). The decreased dusting is definately a plus if it's real but after only one use I'm not ready to say it was the polish and not conditions. Speaking of conditions I had NO issues with the polish drying out to quick or not breaking down like can sometimes happen with Menz, again, it's just to early say that the polish is less finicky than Menzerna as on some days, Menz is just as well behaved. Over all I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this product if you're one of the many posters trying to decide whether to buy SIP or Nano, and don't want to drop the cash for both. For the same price as one of these polishes you can have 16oz of both the WG offerings and get the same great results. For those that already have Menz SIP and Nano, I don't see a reason to replace them (unless they truly proof to be less finicky and dust less).

Create a flawless finish in 2 simple steps with the Wolfgang Duo. (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgangduokit.html)

Ok, now for a few smaller reviews:

The Edge Detailing Swab Foam Tips - on sale now!

I picked up a 10 pack of these handy little gizmos with my last order and am glad I did. I got the white foam tipped swabs and have been using them for several things. They're awesome during a wash to clean the inside of emblems and make/model tags (The inside of the "O"s in Toyota for instance) and to apply dressing to the deep ridges of my rubber floor mats. At 60 cents a piece they're a bargain and since they're reusable a 10 pack will last a while.

The Edge Foam Detailing Tips, swab detailing tips, auto detail swabs, detail swabs (http://www.autogeek.net/edgefoamtips.html)

DG 601, 105, and AW

I went looking for a good cost effective sealant to use on my families vehicles (read free details and abused vehicles)... based on several of your reviews I decided give the Duragloss products a chance and so far couldn't be happier. I won't go into much detail here as the board is full of great info on this line and plenty of examples in the Show-N-Shine board. But wanted to mention it here and say thanks to all that helped steer me in this direction.

36 oz Detail Bottles - offered at AG

I also grabbed 3 of these bottles with my last order and was favorably impressed with them. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there but I like the clear plastic and well marked measurements. The sprayers are high quality and adjust from a very fine mist (similar the Megs QD bottles) to a stream easily. They're great for ONR when mixed as a QD or clay lube.

36 Ounce Detail Bottle (http://www.autogeek.net/36oudebo.html)

MadOzodi
04-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reviews makdaddy. It's a little disconcerting to know that I ordered the white edge detailing swab foam tips and the same DG trio as you...or maybe I should be relieved?

Hmmm, maybe you stole some of my brain cells. :D

sparkie
04-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Nicely done on detail write up. I wished you had pics, it would had add a great deal to it. Thanks for taking the time for the information...:applause:

Waxmax
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the review. I have SIP and 106FF (32 oz. size) and it sounds like the main benefit to the WG 3.0 polishes is the 16 oz. bottles and corresponding lower cost.

makdaddy626
04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reviews makdaddy. It's a little disconcerting to know that I ordered the white edge detailing swab foam tips and the same DG trio as you...or maybe I should be relieved?

Hmmm, maybe you stole some of my brain cells. :D

I've always heard that great minds run in the same gutter (or something like that). ;)

Nicely done on detail write up. I wished you had pics, it would had add a great deal to it. Thanks for taking the time for the information...:applause:

I wish I had the pics too. Hopefully she'll take a few for me, if she does I'll update the thread. Thanks.

Thanks for the review. I have SIP and 106FF (32 oz. size) and it sounds like the main benefit to the WG 3.0 polishes is the 16 oz. bottles and corresponding lower cost.

So far, they appear to be very comparable in my opinion... I do think they make a lot of sense for weekend warrior that takes care of his own car(s) and doesn't need to buy in the larger quantity.

ScottB
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I rather like the WG spigot versus the Menzerna as it does flow a little better. I also think the smaller size is a benefit to most, since some will likely not need the size that Menzerna offers. Add in that a bottle could dry out after some time, and I believe this twins are a valid offering. Glad to see some trying them too ....

makdaddy626
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
I rather like the WG spigot versus the Menzerna as it does flow a little better. I also think the smaller size is a benefit to most, since some will likely not need the size that Menzerna offers. Add in that a bottle could dry out after some time, and I believe this twins are a valid offering. Glad to see some trying them too ....

No real preference on my part for the larger opening or the smaller... I've just gotten so use to the smaller one that once or twice I globbed more on than I meant to. The polishes were both very forgiving though and I just covered more area when that happened (more area than I really should ;) ).

I definately think these 2 make a great buy for someone looking for smaller bottles.

Junebug
04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
There was a big discussion about Menzerna SIP and 106 and the jist of it was - do they fill or do they correct. The final outcome was that IF they are used as intended - on ceri...clear coat, with a rotary, till they are broken down, there is no filling. However, you you use on regular paint, you may see those swirls reappear in a few weeks. Also, it was noted that 106 does screw with Zaino bonding (I noticed this personally). I brought this up since the new WG polishes are a joint effort with Menzerna.

makdaddy626
04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
There was a big discussion about Menzerna SIP and 106 and the jist of it was - do they fill or do they correct. The final outcome was that IF they are used as intended - on ceri...clear coat, with a rotary, till they are broken down, there is no filling. However, you you use on regular paint, you may see those swirls reappear in a few weeks. Also, it was noted that 106 does screw with Zaino bonding (I noticed this personally). I brought this up since the new WG polishes are a joint effort with Menzerna.

I too have seen numerous threads Menz filling/hiding and almost always it is determined that Menz does not contain fillers, however, the lubricants can in fact hide imperfections. For this reason I did do an IPA 50:50 wipedown to test for filling and found none with the WG polishes. Besides, IMHO, there's a HUGE difference in a product like Menz that DOES correct that can also hide some imperfections if the user isn't paying attention and a product that is DESIGNED to hide imperfections and does NOT correct like a glaze.

Al-53
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
If the menzerna is broken down correctly and used correctly it will not fill ...the lube in it will add a filling effect if you do not get all the correction done with the first session..so its best to wipe the area to see your progress...and as far as bonding issues...any one who goes from polishing to a sealant with out cleaning first with either a wash after to ensure all grit is off the paint and lube oils..will have issues..this goes for most polishes also...

after I polish a car i rewash it..to get all residue off it...I use a strong wash solution also...wash all seams...door jams..body panel spaces..to get any remnants off...

Al

Streetlife
04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
What's up AL-53 I have a question. What if the polish you used is a cleaning polish like Poorboy's world professional polish, is it still necessary to wash before using a sealant?

makdaddy626
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I believe that PB Professional polish is really a paint cleaner more than a true polish. You should be fine going from that to a LSP.