PDA

View Full Version : Those who experience snow.

Pages : [1] 2

buddy01
02-20-2021, 04:11 PM
For those who experience snow, what are your car cleaning process? I normally wash my truck at home, two bucket method yadda yadda, but with winter I turn off my water for my outside spigots. I could do a waterless wash without a issue but the undercarriage is still nasty with the salt from roads. I was going use the dreaded automatic wash by me with the undercarriage spray but not really wise to put a hot undercarriage over spraying water. So what all do you guys do?

PA DETAILER
02-20-2021, 04:26 PM
NOTHING. Mother nature wins here. I will make sure i have a strong LSP on before winter hits. Then when the temps do moderate, i will do a normal wash at home. Always been that way. Winter wins.

If it does bother you, a coin op wash could be your friend. Blast off all the winter crap.

Then when spring hits, it's DETAIL TIME!

Mike Hoekstra
02-20-2021, 04:29 PM
I've lived in North Dakota 45 years. In the winter I will drive through the occasional touchless car wash on the "deluxe" setting to get the undercarriage wash. Beyond that, if I wanted to, I have a faucet inside our garage and our outbuilding with a rolling pressure washer attachment but I've never done it. I have never been meticulous with the undercarriage and it has never been an issue.

2black1s
02-20-2021, 05:08 PM
I've lived in North Dakota 45 years. In the winter I will drive through the occasional touchless car wash on the "deluxe" setting to get the undercarriage wash. Beyond that, if I wanted to, I have a faucet inside our garage and our outbuilding with a rolling pressure washer attachment but I've never done it. I have never been meticulous with the undercarriage and it has never been an issue.

Do they use a lot of chemicals on the roads or primarily sand/gravel when it snows? I grew up in Ohio where they kill you with salt and the calcium chloride stuff. I remember traveling west years ago and chemical usage was not as prominent in the western states. Is it still that way?

That may be the reason your undercarriage is not an issue. The chemicals are cancerous. The sand/gravel not so much.

I tend to agree with pro 4x's methodology. I used to hose off my undercarriage and wheel wells and such as often as I could while living in Ohio but it was really a losing battle. Did it do any good? While it may have given peace-of-mind that you're doing what you can and the impression that you're doing some good, in the end the winter always wins.

Just compare a 5year-old California car to a 5 year-old eastern car and that becomes quite obvious.

PaulMys
02-20-2021, 05:28 PM
NOTHING. Mother nature wins here. I will make sure i have a strong LSP on before winter hits. Then when the temps do moderate, i will do a normal wash at home. Always been that way. Winter wins.

If it does bother you, a coin op wash could be your friend. Blast off all the winter crap.

^^^This^^^

Mike Hoekstra
02-20-2021, 06:05 PM
Do they use a lot of chemicals on the roads or primarily sand/gravel when it snows? I grew up in Ohio where they kill you with salt and the calcium chloride stuff. I remember traveling west years ago and chemical usage was not as prominent in the western states. Is it still that way?

That may be the reason your undercarriage is not an issue. The chemicals are cancerous. The sand/gravel not so much.

I tend to agree with pro 4x's methodology. I used to hose off my undercarriage and wheel wells and such as often as I could while living in Ohio but it was really a losing battle. Did it do any good? While it may have given peace-of-mind that you're doing what you can and the impression that you're doing some good, in the end the winter always wins.

Just compare a 5year-old California car to a 5 year-old eastern car and that becomes quite obvious.

Salt, sand, calcium chloride. All of it laid down throughout winter.

DetailKitty
02-20-2021, 06:37 PM

I do the same exact thing.

MIsnowman
02-20-2021, 10:11 PM
I agree with what others have said about it being a losing battle. I will also add that, as much as it sucks having to brush off the snow, leaving your vehicle out in the elements all winter is much better for it corrosion wise than parking it in a garage, even if non-heated. If it’s parked inside the temps are warmer and the chemicals are more active than if it’s outside in the cold. The more frozen you can keep it the better.

acuRAS82
02-20-2021, 11:43 PM
Adding a link to a discussion happening now about undercarriage washing. I agree that keeping cars cold will impact rusting due to water/salt the least... but tomorrow in PA the weather will go above freezing for sometime and at this point, it’s good to have a home option to at least remove some of the gunk without waiting for rain in the spring to remove it all.

cleaner for undercarriage (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/128585-cleaner-undercarriage.html)

hoyt66
02-21-2021, 06:22 AM
Paint sealant in the fall and for winter when the weather gets right (3 days in a row below freezing with no precip) I go Garry Dean in the garage. And a few coats of wax here and there just because I love wax and spent alot of money on them.

Stormin08
02-21-2021, 07:35 AM
for the ease of use, POWER WASH to clean, allow to dry and hammer it with FLUID FILM or the like. then when weather allows, a good hot wash cleans it right off

UncleDavy
02-21-2021, 11:51 AM
I'm dealing with it right now. I am heading to the local coin op self serve and blast all of the crud off of the vehicle. Then it will get a rinseless wash in the driveway when I get home.

JDGolden
02-21-2021, 02:26 PM
Coin op when warm enough. If it gets into the 40s I've been known to bust out the power washer, do a legit wash. Then I cry when I have to go somewhere because I live off of a dirt road. The warm weather makes that a soupy mess for awhile.

UncleDavy
02-21-2021, 03:24 PM
It’s 30 degrees and a perfect day for the coin op and a rinseless wash with Griots Brilliant Finish rinseless. I actually prefer Wolfgang Uber as it rinses and wipes away more cleanly. I previously coated the wheels with Griots 3 in 1 and the grime rinsed right off.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/30701b0c66d73e80b0b33cc95de7615b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/bb869f5b9a981c6cc0b53a7ee345268c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/f9a3aa7013257a06aa27701337b97e23.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/cf4ab53be2b6fdfc4adfaff9e727586e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk9750
02-21-2021, 08:36 PM
For me, it's a touchless car wash with an undercarriage spray, then directly home for a rinseless (ONR) wash and 25 minutes or so on wheels and tires. I used to do this a couple of times a month, but now that I've retired from my career, my driving is down by 75% right now, and I've only done this twice in 2021. Works well for me.