PDA

View Full Version : Clay question

priusfan808
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I bought some Sonus SFX ultra fine clay because I will be claying a brand new car (black paint). I was reading in a forum that the sonus SFX is so fine that it will not remove overspray or all contaminants. My main objective in claying a brand new car is to remove all of the contaminants. Does anyone feel that perhaps I should save the Sonus clay for after the car is waxed (for touchup claying) and perhaps get a more abrasive clay for the first time to make sure I get all of the contaminants off before the sealants and wax? The Pinncale Poly Clay is described as being very non-abrasive (like the Sonus). Is there a "medium" abrasive clay? One that is gentle but will definitely remove all contaminants.

GeorgiaHybrid
04-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I would try the Sonus first and see if it worked. If that fails to do the job, try Meguirs blue, Clay Magic blue or similar. Be very careful with the more agressive clay on a new car that is black or you might be polishing it sooner than you thought...

Use plenty of lube (lube is a LOT cheaper than polishing :D) and check each area as you go if you are not familer with using clay.

By the way, have you joined greenhybrid.com yet? I happen to be running a TCH and you can get a LOT of good info there about your new car.

priusfan808
04-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Is Meguires blue the "mild" Meguires sold here on autogeek.net?

I think I'll order a bottle of the Pinnacle clay lube to have as extra so I can use the Sonus lube generously. Yes, my thoughts were to get the mildest clay possible so I wouldn't leave any marks that would need to be polished out.

Is TCH Toyota Camry Hybrid? Excuse my ignorance if it's not.
No, I haven't joined greenhybrid.com. I will go and join. I am a member of PriusChat.com; perhaps there is a similar site for Camry Hybrids.

GeorgiaHybrid
04-07-2008, 01:32 AM
The Meguirs blue is what AG sells. They are cheaper by $5 over what my local paint shop sells it for... The only downside to this sickness is that you keep collecting new things. I think there are 8 different clays in the garage right now.

Yes, TCH is a Toyota Camry Hybrid. You will have a LOT of fun learning how to make them work. With spring here, I'm getting a little over 40 MPG with mine. I don't miss the 14.5 MPG of the Expedition at all. I do miss the room though...

priusfan808
04-07-2008, 01:46 AM
I understand the sickness. :D

I haven't even received my Prius yet and my detailing arsenal is huge already. I've already received my first huge order of supplies from autogeek.com and I'm putting together a second order now.

Even if I dont need the Meguires clay for the Prius, I have other vehicles that could benefit from a more abrasive clay than the Sonus SFX.

TOGWT
04-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Abrasive Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 5)
Hi-Tech Body Sponge™ - most surface marring
Clay Magic® - Red- very aggressive; a lot of surface marring - 5/5
Sonus Grey Block Detailing Clay- very aggressive; a lot of surface marring - 5/5
Top of the line purple- slightly less aggressive - 4/5
Clay Magic® -Blue- less aggressive; less marring - 3/5
Mother's - Yellow- 2/5
Sonus Ultra Fine -Green- 1/5 (will not remove wax / sealant)
By no means an exhaustive list, so feel free to add the rating of products you’ve used

Clay - http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1320-detailers-automotive-clay-article-jon-miller.html (http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1320-detailers-automotive-clay-article-jon-miller.html)

94LT1
04-07-2008, 06:22 AM
honestly iv had great results with the meguiars clay kit that can be found at any auto parts store.it was 18 dollars and it came with 2 50gram clay bars and a bottle of meguairs quick detail.I had to fold that clay every time i moved on to another section.I was amazed how much dirt it removed.Also there were some areas on my car were dirt loves to sit and because of that those areas were very rough even after washing(top of rear bumper and bottom on rear bumper behind the rear wheels).I just kept those areas moist with the quick detail and worked the clay over it a little longer and probably had to fold it over atleast 2-3 times but now those areas are smooth as glass.

priusfan808
04-07-2008, 06:26 PM
TOGWT - I just just saying to myself, if only there was some kind of "grading" system for clays. Thanks for that.