PDA

View Full Version : Some frustrations after using UDM first time

rtlltj
04-06-2008, 10:15 PM
So I have a white aka pearl car and I used my UDM for the first time today just doing the hood because I didn't want to keep going after being frustrated. Do any of you do your detailing outside? It was sorta windy today and my car kept getting freaking dusty every 10 min from the wind. Plus my car is white and it seems hard to know when the polish is broken down. Anyone have a white car and what do you do when polishing?

wytstang
04-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm able to see the compound/polish fairly well (Crystal White). After it is evenly spread out I pay attention to the color (off white for SIP)) and wait for it to turn translucent (Menzerna S.I.P). And yes I work out side but not much dust has been kicked up when I'm at it. I've worked on by buddy's Honda and that was hard to see, I had to position myself to view it a certain angles. It's been a while since I've seen the car but I believe it was pearl white too.

ScottB
04-07-2008, 06:06 PM
dusting is fairly normal with most polishes to a degree. A wipe down or rewash is often the best line of attack. I have found NEVER polish in direct sun as it seems to dry the polish quickly and you want to work the polish correctly.

rtlltj
04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
It wasn't dust from the polish but I mean it was getting dirty just from the wind blowing outside. So basically if I wanted to work the other parts of the car they were technically "dirty" by the time I would get to them. I really need to find a garage that I can use.

Mike T
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
So it doesn't sound like you had any issues with the UDM, just nature.

The car getting "dirty" right before your eyes is the nature of the beast. Try working on a black car. On a typical weekend of washing, I wash my car, then my wifes, then I go over my finish with S&W or a quick detailer, after which I apply my LSP booster. After that I go over the finish of my wifes car with S&W or a QD, then apply LSP booster. If I delay even five minutes after washing, I feel I have to go over the finish with a QD. All that hard work we put into polishing, then to have a grain of something scratch your finish. It's just wrong on so many levels.

So what I'm saying is, Your Not Alone :cheers: