PDA

View Full Version : bmw e46 m3 jet black paint correction issues

doomunji
02-10-2021, 11:25 PM
Hi everyone, I would like some input here on what to do if you guys have ever experienced this before.

A friend brought in his e46 convertible for a paint correction to prep for ceramic coating. Theres only minor swirls and light scratches on the paint and as far as I know only the hood was repainted in the past and maybe a few more panels but we're not sure at this point.

anyways, I've been a detailer, as well as autobody painter for a few years now and this is the first issue i've come across.

Every time I correct a panel then wipe away the compound/polish with brand new soft towels, they leave swirls and micro scratches/marring. I have used every product I could try and get my hands on, as well as every type of pad. I've tried my griots garage 5inch, rupes 21, and makita rotary. Fresh kirkland towels, chemical guys plush edgeless towels, diff plush edgeless towels from the rag company. All gives the same outcome. Even rubbing my hand or fingers lightly across will bring back the defects.

The car has been sitting in the shop for almost a month now. I am not sure what else to do as this has never happened before on a black car. All I can think of is cheap clearcoat was used or its just really really soft clear, and I only noticed this a few other times with spray can clears where marring occurs.

What do you guys suggest at this point?

compounds and polishes I use as well as pads:

lake country orange pads
meguiars microfiber cutting pads for da
chemical guys hexlogic pads - orange, green, black, and white
wool pad and black waffle pads for makita
rupes blue pad

meguiars polish and compound
3m perfect it 1-3
chemical guys v32 and v38
gyeon primer

the video here is the trunk, both sides were corrected, after wiping with towels and testing with my fingers, it creates that mess of swirls again.

https://filebin.net/ye5mqa234e37w3up/VID-20210210-WA0011.mp4?t=ylgs7w98

dgage
02-11-2021, 01:35 AM
What about using a prep spray such as Gyeon Prep to lubricate the towels while you’re removing the polish?

And I’m a little curious what you mean by bring back the defects. With the products you’re using, I don’t think there would be fillers filling in the previous defects so essentially you’re saying it is incredibly easy to create new defects?

joshhas99problems
03-28-2021, 04:29 AM
Definitely a respray with the issues you are facing in my opinion. I have done a few Schwarz II e46 m3s (working on one now) and many many other bimmers in Schwarz and I have never experienced that. I had similar issues on a newish black STI and my solution was the soak the towels overnight in an ONR/water solution, wring them thoroughly and then remove polish.72927

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk