PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction? or Just Seal and Wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

kolop
02-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Hi,

Newbie here and I am looking for Guidance/ Advice/ Product List/ Check lists, ect.

My car needs paint correction, it has swirls, and etching, you can feel the etching with finger nail, some permanent damage from fall out which cannot be corrected. I want to DIY. So realistically I will start with the basics. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the best approach would be prepare the car for Sealant and Wax and then Seal and Wax it, so I think the steps would be

wash car
iron X
tar remover
clay bar
wash again
hand dry
apply sealant
apply glaze
apply wax

I think paint correction is too much work now. I think I NEED to seal up the paint to protect it though.

So, I am looking for confirmation, in general, am I on the right track? Prepare, wax, and maintain now, then paint correction later during summer?

Can you help me make a check list and product list?

Do I need glaze? Do I even need to wax it? Could I just apply Sealant for now?

How many microfiber towels do I need total? How many to wash and dry my car? How many to apply Sealant and Wax. Do I need to buy the premium ones, or can use cheap ones for wheels and such?

Its my daily driver but I want to get it clean and protected now.

As far as maintenance I will hand wash once a week.

I think I could get it done for under $500. I might even borrow the DA from the detail guy at work to save some money for now. I asked him if he wanted to work on my car but he said no! Too much work for him, I think.

I guess I want help making a purchase today too. Here is a list so far.

car wash kit
Microfiber towels
DA polisher kit with sealant, wax ect
a couple brushes for the wash bucket (or not, and save $)
iron x
tar remover
clay bar

I want to try to buy everything in one shot, so suggestions would be appreciated. Suggestion on what to buy "if you can" vs what you NEED might be helpful.

Thanks for reading! Check out my photo album and my "introduction post" too.

Eldorado2k
02-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Iron X [yes on a dirty car in the shade]
Rinse car thoroughly
Tar Remover/Wash Car at the same time
Dry car
Claybar

No need to re wash the car at this point.
If you survived the claybar step without marring your paint you’re free to move straight into sealant and finish up.

If it was me I’d skip the glaze & wax altogether... IMO completely unnecessary and only degrades the superior protection of a quality sealant.

Klasse Act
02-07-2021, 01:59 PM
I agree with Ric, no need for glaze, that's just a filler or "band-aid" IMO. A sealant is better than wax for durability. I see your a noob but just so you know, wax is kinda of a thing of the past. I mean it gives the car a unique look but in the real world, is good for about 4-6 wks on a DD.

What sealant are you looking at?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bill D
02-07-2021, 02:23 PM
Some waxes last longer than 4-6weeks. I wouldn't still be using it if it didn't

Klasse Act
02-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Some waxes last longer than 4-6weeks. I wouldn't still be using it if it didn'tWhat are you using, #476S[emoji848]

Bill D
02-07-2021, 02:28 PM
I'm getting 3 months out of FuZion but it is half a sealant. By 3 months the gloss is still there but the depth is not so I have to reapply if I want the look back

Klasse Act
02-07-2021, 02:31 PM
OP, since your a noob and wanna use a sealant can I make a suggestion....Duragloss #111 combined with #601 polish bonding agent. I know it's a little confusing because it says "polish bonding agent" but it's not a polish in the traditional sense. This product kicks up the durability and when combined with a PURE sealant like #111, it's a winner[emoji779]

You mix 3 parts #111 to 1 part #601. Because #111 is so easy to apply/remove I'd apply a 2nd coat after say an hour. There's a sale going on here right now and these products are already inexpensive, on sale it's a no-brainer for a noob! Take advantage of the sale today and get every thing you need[emoji362][emoji118]

Klasse Act
02-07-2021, 02:33 PM
I'm getting 3 months out of FuZion but it is half a sealant. By 3 months the gloss is still there but the depth is not so I have to reapply if I want the look backExactly, the sealant mixed in is getting you to that month mark...barely it sounds like[emoji118] That said, its so easy to apply, I'd apply it once a month[emoji118]

Bill D
02-07-2021, 02:37 PM
Exactly, the sealant mixed in is getting you to that month mark...barely it sounds like[emoji118] That said, its so easy to apply, I'd apply it once a month[emoji118]

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkI would apply it once a month but I only have a sample size pot so I wait til the 3 or 4 month point

Klasse Act
02-07-2021, 02:43 PM
I would apply it once a month but I only have a sample size pot so I wait til the 3 or 4 month pointI have what I think is the standard sized Fuzion tub but it's pretty old, has some cracks in it but when I put my finger in it and move it around it feels "waxy".

Bill D
02-07-2021, 02:46 PM
I think you might qualify for the refill. Maybe ask AG about it. One of these days I'm going to get the full size

dgage
02-07-2021, 03:20 PM
I agree with the Duragloss being a very good product as I’ve used it before. I also like Collinite 845.

Mike Phillips
02-08-2021, 09:52 AM
Hi,

Newbie here and I am looking for Guidance/ Advice/ Product List/ Check lists, ect.

My car needs paint correction, it has swirls, and etching, you can feel the etching with finger nail, some permanent damage from fall out which cannot be corrected.

I think paint correction is too much work now. I think I NEED to seal up the paint to protect it though.

See what TMQ says in the second post of this thread, same kind of situation, new to detailing with a black car.

Newbie needs advice (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/128501-newbie-needs-advice.html)

Start simple but do it right the first time.

Car wash
Clay and clay lube
BLACKFIRE One Step
Griot's Garage G9
6 foam polishing pads
Microfiber towels

:)

Mike Phillips
02-08-2021, 09:55 AM
Take a moment to watch this video from start to finish - it will show you EXACTLY what to do and the order to do it.

Then instead of using the products I shared, get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step.

https://youtu.be/ulWXODgg8V4

kolop
02-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Iron X [yes on a dirty car in the shade]
Rinse car thoroughly
Tar Remover/Wash Car at the same time
Dry car
Claybar

No need to re wash the car at this point.
If you survived the claybar step without marring your paint you’re free to move straight into sealant and finish up.

If it was me I’d skip the glaze & wax altogether... IMO completely unnecessary and only degrades the superior protection of a quality sealant.

OP, since your a noob and wanna use a sealant can I make a suggestion....Duragloss #111 combined with #601 polish bonding agent. I know it's a little confusing because it says "polish bonding agent" but it's not a polish in the traditional sense. This product kicks up the durability and when combined with a PURE sealant like #111, it's a winner[emoji779]

You mix 3 parts #111 to 1 part #601. Because #111 is so easy to apply/remove I'd apply a 2nd coat after say an hour. There's a sale going on here right now and these products are already inexpensive, on sale it's a no-brainer for a noob! Take advantage of the sale today and get every thing you need[emoji362][emoji118]

Take a moment to watch this video from start to finish - it will show you EXACTLY what to do and the order to do it.

Then instead of using the products I shared, get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step.

https://youtu.be/ulWXODgg8V4

I already put in an order last night!
I ordered the duragloss 111 and 601 and few other goodies, iron X, stoner tar remover, Maguire's clay bar kit, magic towel, cobra micro fiber towel, car soap, wash brush, wash mitt, foam applicators.

I might be able to change my order, but I don't know.