PDA

View Full Version : Behold ... 29 Year-old BC / CC Paint !

57Rambler
02-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Got a chance to see my old work car that I gave to a buddy a few years ago. Sorry for the pic quality, not exactly optimal photo conditions here today.

I picked her up at Lordstown the first week of March '92. Got her for work as I didn't want to drive my other cars in bad weather or take the risk of parking in a lot with thousands of knuckleheads.

The Cavalier was trashed by the media and everybody and their brother, but this car was probably the most reliable, well-built car I've ever purchased (and that's more than a few). Nothing on the car ever had to be replaced/repaired other than normal wear/tear items and maintenance. Well, that's a small white lie ... I did have to replace the shifter cables three times as the car with its V6, 5spd, and handling package was actually pretty spirited for the time and fun to drive and I ran her pretty hard at times. I actually had her on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway the year they let people take a "controlled" :laughing: lap in their own cars as a promo to entice ticket holders to re-up their Formula One race seats.

She was driven daily, saw lots of bad weather, and absorbed a whole lotta UV while parked/baking out in the lots.

Washed regularly, she got semi-regular "latherings" of ArmorAll on the trim and I used AutoFom on it until Blue Corral quit making the stuff. After that, I never polished/waxed/sealed it again ... that's probably been at least 15 years now.

For an early BC / CC car, I think this is pretty freaking amazing. :dunno:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72328&d=1612481667

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72327&d=1612481657

TMQ
02-04-2021, 07:42 PM
lol....

Look tons better than couple of Hondas I saw at shop today!

Tom

fly07sti
02-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Hells yes!

Farmallluvr
02-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Looks great for age!!,,actually looks better than some cars a 1/4 of it's age.

That bodystyle was my favorite as far as Cavaliers go,,it actually looked sporty in comparison,,v/6 w a stick to boot...cool

acuRAS82
02-05-2021, 03:40 AM
Nice car and post.
Do you recall the polish and LSP you used to use? Or only washing and trim?

It’s remarkable what a little bit of care and maintenance (even if it ended 15 years ago) will do to the long term outlook of the paint.

Sizzle Chest
02-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Wow, can't believe it looks that good after what it's been through and the lack of LSP! Super cool!

briarpatch
02-07-2021, 09:50 AM
Is that a Z24? I thought that was the only way to get a V6 in those.