PDA

View Full Version : pad not spinning

fech
04-06-2008, 02:44 PM
When using the PC 7424, it doesn't seem like the pad spins. It just vibrates. I have tried using other products and I apply no pressure at all but still have the same problem. I place my finger slightly on the side and sure enough, it's not moving. Any suggestions?

blkyukon
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
When using the PC 7424, it doesn't seem like the pad spins. It just vibrates. I have tried using other products and I apply no pressure at all but still have the same problem. I place my finger slightly on the side and sure enough, it's not moving. Any suggestions?

When the PC is off does it spin freely?

Does it spin when on and not on the paint?

Since it's not a direct drive machine the rotation or spining of the pad comes from centrifugal force. Any pressure on the pad or machine will minimize or stop the spinning. I've found that it will stop spinning if I have the machine at an angle or when it's not completely flat on the paint.

fech
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Yes it does spin when off and not on paint. Seems like I have it flat, however it still stops once it's on the paint.

Rsurfer
04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
[quote=fech;177169]Yes it does spin when off and not on paint. Seems like I have it flat, however it still stops once it's on the paint.[/quot

Had the same problem using a 6-61/2" pads. Switched to a low profie 51/2" pad and works great. From red,blue,black,white,orange all works good. I beleive the weight of the pad keeps it from rotating.

Surfer
04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
The PC is not meant to spin the pad, its just a counter effect from the orbiting which is why it stops spinning so easily as there is not a direct drive/gear to spin the pad.

fech
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I use the edge pads which I believe are 5 inches. I'm not trying to sound dumb, but how does it work if it's not spinning the pads?

blkyukon
04-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I use the edge pads which I believe are 5 inches. I'm not trying to sound dumb, but how does it work if it's not spinning the pads?

The pad is not vibrating it is spinning off axis - orbiting around the axis, making a small circle as it goes around the center.

I agree with Surfer that the spining doesn't aid in the polishing - the pad doesn't spin fast enough to do any benefit...In fact, it's slow enough at times I can count the revolutions of the spins.

With that being said though, it should spin at least a little especially at speed six. What speed are you running the PC at?

Try placing a piece of tape on the back side of the pad and see if there is any centrifugal rotation at different speeds and pressure.

fech
04-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I do all of the settings on what the autogeek PC diy tell you to set it at. Good idea with the tape. I will try it and let you know. Thanks

Surfer
04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I use the edge pads which I believe are 5 inches. I'm not trying to sound dumb, but how does it work if it's not spinning the pads?PC moves in a random orbit, it more so "grinds" the polish instead of circular motion of a rotary.

fech
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
So as long as it is moving or vibrating, it's doing its job?

Jimmie
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
PC moves in a random orbit, it more so "grinds" the polish instead of circular motion of a rotary.

:iagree: and the strange thing is even if it's not spinning it leaves "half-moon" trails in the polish.

fech
04-07-2008, 07:03 AM
I noticed that also. When I apply wax, the circles are there but the pad isn't spinning.

jeepe
04-12-2008, 05:20 AM
may be same problem that I had with mine. My backing plate came with a spacer(washer) app. 1/8" thick. It fell off the second time I used it, which caused my backing plate to be so close to the polisher that everytime I put the polisher against the car it would not spin. Like yours it would spin if I just held it up in the air. I was ready to send mine back when I found the spacer in my box. I put it back on the backing plate and it has worked great ever since. I've been told that not all polishers needed a spacer (washer) but mine did. Hope this might help