PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling light As Seen On TV

bcgreen
01-31-2021, 08:58 AM
I am moving into a Townhouse and it has one wimpy ceiling light in the garage. I am thinking of getting one of these units and was wondering if it would help showing defects on the horizontal panels of my black car?

as seen on tv lights - Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?q=as+seen+on+tv+lights&oq=as+seen+on+tv+lights&aqs=chrome..69i57.11092j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8)

98CayenneTA
01-31-2021, 09:38 AM
Something like this would give you much better lighting with fewer shadows being cast.

These are the bulbs I use...

Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200777087_200777087?cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiAx9mABhD0ARIsAEfpavR9zhZQ-HOT_eFfV4QzYAwNnRjckbnr0tbao3QNE-CiW0exGGuZM7YaAkVzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_campaign=GT%20Lite&utm_content=89746&utm_medium=Lighting%20%3E%20Light%20Bulbs&utm_source=Google_PLA)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210131/4ccb40ab806f15ec79744c3132de9b12.jpg

IH8SPM
01-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Excellent recommendation @98CayenneTA.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
01-31-2021, 02:35 PM
I have one of those in my garage and it’s alright, very bright, but I don’t think it’s great for paint correction. I use additional lighting when working on cars, that bright light in the ceiling is only for day to day in the garage. I actually turn it off when working on cars and use just the other ones I have (I prefer the 4000K light over the 6500K or so that you get from those deformable lights).

bcgreen
01-31-2021, 02:56 PM
I have one of those in my garage and it’s alright, very bright, but I don’t think it’s great for paint correction. I use additional lighting when working on cars, that bright light in the ceiling is only for day to day in the garage. I actually turn it off when working on cars and use just the other ones I have (I prefer the 4000K light over the 6500K or so that you get from those deformable lights).

Just to confirm, you prefer the As Seen On TV one?

Bruno Soares
01-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Just to confirm, you prefer the As Seen On TV one?

After posting I thought my post was confusing, sorry.

I prefer my other lights (I have 4x 4ft long LED lights in 4000K that I use to work on the car). The As seen on TV light is what comes on automatically anytime we go in the garage and it’s plenty bright but whenever I’m working on the car, I turn that one off and use the other ones instead. The light from this one is just too white and harsh, doesn’t work great for paint correction.

The Guz
01-31-2021, 03:56 PM
You could get yourself some linkable shop lights. I bought some LED ones at costco and they are pretty good with the 4000k lighting they provide.

Bruno Soares
01-31-2021, 05:06 PM
You could get yourself some linkable shop lights. I bought some LED ones at costco and they are pretty good with the 4000k lighting they provide.

That’s what I’m talking about. I have one on each side, one over the hood, and one at the rear of the car.

bcgreen
01-31-2021, 05:33 PM
If I go with the Costco ones how did you guys connect them? I will have to see where the outlets are. I have the light socket in the ceiling and probably one outlet on the back wall and one of the side walls.

Bruno Soares
01-31-2021, 07:55 PM
I connected mine to the outlets on the ceiling that the garage door opener connects to.

If you don’t have one there, there are adapters that can give you an outlet from the socket you have on the ceiling.

These lights we’re talking about daisy chain and power each other so you only need one outlet.

bcgreen
01-31-2021, 08:25 PM
I connected mine to the outlets on the ceiling that the garage door opener connects to.

If you don’t have one there, there are adapters that can give you an outlet from the socket you have on the ceiling.

These lights we’re talking about daisy chain and power each other so you only need one outlet.

Will I need them just spaced out the ceiling and not necessarily on the side walls for vertical panels?

Bruno Soares
02-01-2021, 07:03 AM
Will I need them just spaced out the ceiling and not necessarily on the side walls at door level?

Correct. For closer inspection when working on the car I use a Scangrip Multimatch R.

Pats300zx
02-01-2021, 07:14 AM
I actually bought two to supplement the lightning in my garage. I actually found them to be "too bright" and left the entire garage with a washed out look.

Desertnate
02-01-2021, 11:08 AM
I don't think any overhead light would be very adequate in helping with horizontal or vertical surfaces.

A while back I upgraded the lighting in my garage with multiple overhead LED bar lights. It floods the garage with fairly bright very even light. It is good for coating or LSP application, but when I'm correcting, I'll turn all that off and use lights on a stand which shine light at a low angle across any panel, whether horizontal or vertical.