PDA

View Full Version : What polish do I need?

Pages : [1] 2

94BULLITT
01-28-2021, 02:18 PM
I bought a new toolbox. I want to polish it before applying a LSP. Since it is new the paint is swirl and scratch free. Since I don't have an defects to remove, and I am looking to make it shine more, what polish should I use?

dgage
01-28-2021, 04:43 PM
You might want to go with a one step polish with protectant and since you say you don’t need any correction, I’d suggest going with Rupes Uno Protect and a Rupes White pad. Uno Protect probably gives several months of protection out in the elements so I’d think it would provide protection for a long time indoors.

And if that combo doesn't give you enough gloss then I’d say follow it with the Rupes Ultra-Fine polish though that doesn’t have protection built in so you’d need to follow it with an LSP. I would think Collinite 845 would give you gloss and solid protection for a long, long time indoors.

Rsurfer
01-28-2021, 04:47 PM
I bought a new toolbox. I want to polish it before applying a LSP. Since it is new the paint is swirl and scratch free. Since I don't have an defects to remove, and I am looking to make it shine more, what polish should I use?
Polish as the word goes here means to remove light marring. For heavier scratches we use the term compound. Seems that you only need protection (LSP). There are so many LSP's...Don't you have something that you use on your car? That should do since your tool box is not subjected to the weather.

PaulMys
01-28-2021, 05:39 PM
Polish as the word goes here means to remove light marring. For heavier scratches we use the term compound. Seems that you only need protection (LSP). There are so many LSP's...Don't you have something that you use on your car? That should do since your tool box is not subjected to the weather.

Agree 100%

You don't need a polish. Just apply some 'nuba or a good paint sealant.

2black1s
01-28-2021, 07:03 PM
I'll disagree with the opinions that all you need is a LSP.

Many paints can be polished to a higher gloss than the as-sprayed gloss level. Just because there are no swirls or scratches doesn't mean that there is not some benefit to polishing.

There are many polishes that you could use and everyone will have a different opinion. If it was me, I'd try Meguiar's 205, 210, or Ultimate Polish simply because those are what I have on-hand.

You might even get better results with a compound first, i.e., Meguiar's 105, 110, or Ultimate Compound, followed by the polish.

mbkite
01-28-2021, 07:42 PM
My tool box liked meguiars m07 glaze but I am old and it was an old snapp on

Rsurfer
01-28-2021, 08:41 PM
I'll disagree with the opinions that all you need is a LSP.

Many paints can be polished to a higher gloss than the as-sprayed gloss level. Just because there are no swirls or scratches doesn't mean that there is not some benefit to polishing.

There are many polishes that you could use and everyone will have a different opinion. If it was me, I'd try

Meguiar's 205, 210, or Ultimate Polish simply because those are what I have on-hand.
You might even get better results with a compound first, i.e., Meguiar's 105, 110, or Ultimate Compound, followed by the polish.

KISS this is a brand new tool box, not a car.

2black1s
01-28-2021, 09:39 PM
KISS this is a brand new tool box, not a car.

What does "KISS" mean? Keep it simple, Simon?

And just because its a tool box, not a car, is irrelevant. I get it that polishing a toolbox might be overkill and unnecessary to some people, but the OP stated that he wanted to increase the gloss, and I completely get that.

If you want to increase the gloss, then polishing prior to a LSP will most likely provide a better result than simply applying a LSP.

dgage
01-28-2021, 09:47 PM
What does "KISS" mean? Keep it simple, Simon?

Yes. No need to overthink it. Just get some polish like the Rupes I mentioned or the Meguiars 2black1s mentioned. Both are good and I’d even use a fine microfiber pad if you have compressed air to blow the pad out after a polishing section.

94BULLITT
01-29-2021, 01:26 AM
I have some Optimum Poli Seal, which is an all in one. Rupes Uno looks like a good product and I'll get that to replace the poli seal once it is used up. I have some blackfire polish, and I have got decent results from it, but I want a deeper shine. I think I am going to use M205. Thanks for the help.

dgage
01-29-2021, 01:35 AM
I have some Optimum Poli Seal, which is an all in one. Rupes Uno looks like a good product and I'll get that to replace the poli seal once it is used up. I have some blackfire polish, and I have got decent results from it, but I want a deeper shine. I think I am going to use M205. Thanks for the help.

One of the reasons people use different polishes and pads is because different cars have different paint hardness and so one pad/polish combo on one car might not work as well for a different car. I say that because we can guess what you might need but it also depends on how hard or soft the toolbox paint is and how it will react to polishing. So you'll likely need a couple pad types and may need to try each of the polishes to know what works well. I'd really do just like you'd do on a car, start with the combo of gentlest polish and softest pad and work your way to more coarse until you dial in the combo that gives you the effect you want. So as long as you've got some pads, I'd use the polishes you have before buying something new. Good luck.

And don't forget the most important steps!!!! BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS! :)

94BULLITT
02-03-2021, 12:06 AM
I took before photos. I finished the polishing up tonight. I used M205. Should I do an IPA wipe down before applying my LSP? The polish seemed to be "oily" for lack of better terminology. I think I am going to go with Klasse High Gloss sealant for the LSP. I am also thinking about Menzerna Power lock.

Eldorado2k
02-03-2021, 02:09 AM
I took before photos. I finished the polishing up tonight. I used M205. Should I do an IPA wipe down before applying my LSP? The polish seemed to be "oily" for lack of better terminology. I think I am going to go with Klasse High Gloss sealant for the LSP. I am also thinking about Menzerna Power lock.

No need for an IPA wipedown in your situation.

2black1s
02-03-2021, 01:24 PM

You could stick in the family and use M21 or Ultimate Wax.

94BULLITT
02-09-2021, 12:00 AM
I finished the toolbox last Friday. I went over it twice with M205. I tried Klasse high gloss sealant, Menzerna powerlock, and Meg NXT 2.0. I could not see a difference in any of them. So I went with NXT 2.0 since I have had it the longest. Since this is a toolbox, and won't be exposed to the elements I didn't see the need to go with one of the better LSPs. I used an old cheap Turtle Wax on a flammable safety cabinet and that was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it still looks good. So the NXT 2.0 should hold up good.

When paint dries it puts off a gas and clouds. The paint on the box looked great before, but as soon as I started polishing, I could see it removing cloudiness. With the NXT 2.0 the box now has a nice wet look to it.

I'm not sure how the pictures turned out. Since the sides on the tool box are perfectly vertical, and the lights are overhead, it may be tough to tell a difference. I took a picture of the power tool holder beside the box when I was installing it to show a difference.

Here are the before pics:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210209/db3d06900b2d174ce3b124d2fc72bbf6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210209/dda33157d19000de28df3c5440c1e0f3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210209/83e9b028e78007bd877c4b51cbecc725.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210209/434097a680189af349ac6aaed8360f67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk