PDA

View Full Version : Glass sealant help!

Pages : [1] 2

aquarian
01-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Been struggling with the wiper blades chattering/skipping after trying out many products...

Here is the story:

Just got a new 2021 car a couple of months ago and decided to put Aquapel on the glass areas, as I have been using Aquapel for many many years with no issues of wiper skipping on my other cars.

Polished the windshield and other glass areas with CarPro pads and Ceriglass. Cleaned with a dedicated glass cleaner and IPC. Applied Aquapel per direction and the wipers chatter like crazy.

Removed Aquapel from the windshield with CarPro pads and polish and applied Adams Spray Graphene sealant. Same result. Without Aquapel, the wipers are perfect.

Removed Adams Spray Graphene sealant, then applied Griots Glass Sealant. Same result. Wipers just chatter and skip.

I then applied CarPro Reload on Griots glass sealant, which made the chatter go away, but after every wipe there appears to be a little film on the glass...

Removed Griots Glass Sealant, and applied Opti-Glass. This morning the the wipers were fine for about 5 minutes, then they started to chatter too....

I even got another set of brand new OEM wipers and the wipers still chatter with any sealant.

I am running out of the ideas. Does anyone have any better suggestions? Perhaps the OEM wipers are not meant for any glass sealants?

Rsurfer
01-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Is the Opti-Glass still on the windshield? If so, try wiping the old blades with Opti-Glass.

aquarian
01-08-2021, 05:32 PM
Yes, the Opti-Glass is still on the windshield now. Have you experienced the same and wiping opti-glass would cure the chatter?

Is the Opti-Glass still on the windshield? If so, try wiping the old blades with Opti-Glass.

Rsurfer
01-08-2021, 05:46 PM
Yes, the Opti-Glass is still on the windshield now. Have you experienced the same and wiping opti-glass would cure the chatter?
Not with Opti-Glass, but with other glass coatings. TBH, rarely have that problem with any glass coatings.

Maybe its time to try some other blades.

aquarian
01-08-2021, 08:03 PM
Came back home, sprayed some Opti-glass onto a small coating cloth and wiped the blades. It actually made the chatter way worse than before to the point I thought I was going to be breaking something.

During wiping the blades with Opti-glass I noticed that tiny little chunks of the rubber material was coming off from the blades.... What is going on with the Audi OEM wiper blades? I think Opti-glass was dissolving the blades.

Not with Opti-Glass, but with other glass coatings. TBH, rarely have that problem with any glass coatings.

Maybe its time to try some other blades.

Rsurfer
01-08-2021, 08:45 PM
Came back home, sprayed some Opti-glass onto a small coating cloth and wiped the blades. It actually made the chatter way worse than before to the point I thought I was going to be breaking something.

During wiping the blades with Opti-glass I noticed that tiny little chunks of the rubber material was coming off from the blades.... What is going on with the Audi OEM wiper blades? I think Opti-glass was dissolving the blades.

Let the Opti-Glass cure for a day or two and get some new blades.

I might have mis-led you by telling you to coat the blades. I was thinking about cleaning the blades with alcohol or a panel wipe and not the glass coating.

dgage
01-08-2021, 09:00 PM
I’m a huge fan of silicone blades and that is all I use now. PIAA Super Silicone. Not sure if that would work for you but the silicone puts its own “coating” on the windshield through use and the water beads and I don’t even need to use wipers with a light rain when driving over 40.

aquarian
01-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I also looked at PIAA blades but couldn't find one available for my car. Those may actually solve my problem I think.

I’m a huge fan of silicone blades and that is all I use now. PIAA Super Silicone. Not sure if that would work for you but the silicone puts its own “coating” on the windshield through use and the water beads and I don’t even need to use wipers with a light rain when driving over 40.

Coatingsarecrack
01-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I also looked at PIAA blades but couldn't find one available for my car. Those may actually solve my problem I think.

Stay away from the OEM blades. With your prep and all the products you’ve tried deduction says it’s the blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noorth
01-09-2021, 12:25 PM
I applied carpro flyby30 about 2 or 3 mths ago. I just sprayed some soi2 infused waterless wash i have on the wipers. No issues.

I did buy new bosch blades though not sure if that made a difference.

I actually had my first long highway drive in the rain a few days ago since i applied flyby30. You can literally get away with not using your wipers at speeds of 90-100 km/h. Never tried lower speeds. Its pretty cool.

Eldorado2k
01-12-2021, 04:53 PM
How do your wiper blades work when there’s no coatings on the windshield?
If they work fine without any coatings then why not just leave it be?

Also, if the coatings are as great as they claim, then why do you need to use the wipers at all?

noorth
01-12-2021, 05:05 PM
Also, if the coatings are as great as they claim, then why do you need to use the wipers at all?

Good point...Flyby30 is cheap anyhow. Looks cool though if your a bead head.lol Windshield coatings are not really on my radar anymore, i bought flyby30 the first year i got into this.

aquarian
01-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Wipers worked fine without the coatings. I have been putting glass coatings on my cars for the last 15 years because it does improve the visibility dramatically - rain/water just rolls off the glass so much faster. Unfortunately the water doesn't bead off until you hit 30-40 mph so wipers are still needed when you go below that speed...

How do your wiper blades work when there’s no coatings on the windshield?
If they work fine without any coatings then why not just leave it be?

Eldorado2k
01-13-2021, 02:33 AM
Looks cool though if your a bead head.lol

I’m a beadhead too... But I’m an even bigger freak about having my windshield wipers working perfectly, I even use specific washer fluid.
Plus the glass coating that I’d pick costs like $45 bucks and my inner cheapo has never been able to justify it.[emoji4]

Coatingsarecrack
01-13-2021, 02:38 AM
I’m a beadhead too... But I’m an even bigger freak about having my windshield wipers working perfectly, I even use specific washer fluid.
Plus the glass coating that I’d pick costs like $45 bucks and my inner cheapo has never been able to justify it.[emoji4]

What coating is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk