PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Instrument Panel

:::houseofbunny:::
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
That clear plastic over my instrument panel has some cloudy spots. What can I use to get them out and restore it?

I think I used a cleaner or dressng on a towel and got too close to the panel. The cloudiness is along the bottom right and right edges. There are also a couple of lines that look like miniature drips where I was probably spraying onto a towel and a droplet wafted onto the plastic. I don't know when it happened or what I might have been using. I'm even considering that It was like that when I bought it in Jan., and there was some kind of protectant covering up the cloudiness. I only just noticed it today for the first time when I used DP Total Int. Cleaner on it, and I don't think that is what caused it.

Any suggestions? Please help. It bugs the hell out of me...

04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Oh btw, I have Klasse Cleaner/Protectant. Is that safe to use on the clear plastic, or will it give me more problems?

ScottB
04-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Plexus might work also ...

Mike T
04-05-2008, 08:05 PM
You could also give Polish clear and colored plastic with Mothers Plastic Polish! Clean headlights, plastic trim, and clear plastic panels with Mother's incredible (http://www.autogeek.net/motplaspol.html) a try. Its worked for me in the past.

04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Mother's Plastic Polish... Would that be anything like Meg's PlastX?? I have some Meg's on hand!

Plexus... Would that really polish out the haze or is it more of a protectant? How does it compare to DP Plex-All? And can you use Plex-All on tint like Plexus?

04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Okay, I just read the product descriptions for both of the Mother's and Meg's products. It looks like I will give the Meg's a try since I have it on hand. Thanks for the suggestion, I forgot I had it and the bottle doesn't say anything about instrument panels (although the webshop does) so I would have ruled it out.

I will also throw a bottle of either Plexus or Plex-All in my cart for future cleaning and protection needs. If anyone can chime in with comparisons or info on Plex-All on tint that would be great.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys. I feel better all ready!

pt91
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
plexus is a great product. haven't used it to remove severe scratches in plastic. I tend to use other plastic polishes such as meqs, novus, etc.
after you correct the plastic, plexus and a very fluffy, clean MF should be used to clean the area.

Bunky
04-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Okay, I just read the product descriptions for both of the Mother's and Meg's products. It looks like I will give the Meg's a try since I have it on hand. Thanks for the suggestion, I forgot I had it and the bottle doesn't say anything about instrument panels (although the webshop does) so I would have ruled it out.

I will also throw a bottle of either Plexus or Plex-All in my cart for future cleaning and protection needs. If anyone can chime in with comparisons or info on Plex-All on tint that would be great.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys. I feel better all ready!

Meg's PlastX is more aggressive than Mothers. Meg's is good for correction like on headlights but it will leave a slight haze that is especially noticeable off axis on sensitive optical surfaces.

You will need to finish with something like Mothers (Meg's makes a milder polish called #17?) to really get it clear. This is less important on headlights but you can notice it on an instrument cluster plastic.

Meghan
04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
DP Plex All, or Plexus will get it mixed for you.

04-06-2008, 05:44 PM
"Meg's PlastX is more aggressive than Mothers. Meg's is good for correction like on headlights but it will leave a slight haze "

I went ahead and tried the PlastX. I didn't notice any marring, but PlastX leaves a protective film that may be covering that up. It did a pretty good job and removed maybe 80% of the problem. What remains is evidently deeper damage, but I am pretty happy with how it came out. You would really have to look hard from a particular angle in the right light in order to see anything.

Thanks Megan, I am going to give the Plex-All a try. I'm liking the DP line.

Showroom Shine
04-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Glad to hear that you got the dash plastic clean. I just read about your problem. I think most of the time the problem is let go so long there is a build up and it's been baked on by the warm temps inside the vehicle. I have seen the cloudy look you spoke about on the inside of the plastic. Which can not be removed without taking the entire dash out. Big Problem & $$$$ Stay on it, do not neglect this area.

Bunky
04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
"Meg's PlastX is more aggressive than Mothers. Meg's is good for correction like on headlights but it will leave a slight haze "

I went ahead and tried the PlastX. I didn't notice any marring, but PlastX leaves a protective film that may be covering that up. It did a pretty good job and removed maybe 80% of the problem. What remains is evidently deeper damage, but I am pretty happy with how it came out. You would really have to look hard from a particular angle in the right light in order to see anything.

Thanks Megan, I am going to give the Plex-All a try. I'm liking the DP line.

I am glad it worked for you.

The marring is not always apparent and may depend on the plastic material. I was doing some side by side comparisons on CD cases and noticed the difference but it was not a dramatic difference.

My instrument panel sits at a poorly designed angle so reflections are a problem so surface issues are more noticeable. I have used Meg's first too but I thought it could be better. I then went back to practice on CD cases to be sure I knew how the polishes broke down when I discovered the difference and ended up finishing it with Mothers. For many Meg's may be sufficient.

Cushdrive
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Many people have had success with using the plastic polish on a Mothers powerball.....may be an option for that last 20%.