PDA

View Full Version : How to seal gaps to improve touchless car wash?

Pages : [1] 2

Skip
01-03-2021, 06:35 PM
I have a spoiler on my trunk, and I'd like to try sealing the gaps, so that soapy/waxy water can't get in and then leak out. (there may be other locations on the vehicle too, but this is the main one at the moment)
Any recommendations on how to do this? There are two long edges I'd like to seal, which are the width of the trunk. I'm wondering whether narrow strips of PPF might work. Or should I just get some silicone sealant from a hardware store?

IH8SPM
01-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Most factory spoilers already include a gasket between the surfaces for that same purpose.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

2black1s
01-03-2021, 08:07 PM
- Remove the Spoiler
- Apply 3M Strip Caulk to Spoiler at interface surface(s)
- Reinstall Spoiler
- Carefully trim and remove excess caulk
- Use a smooth rag (t-shirt) saturated with enamel reducer or mineral spirits to clean any residual caulk from the painted surfaces and smooth the caulking
- Done

The main reasons I suggest this method is...
1) It works
2) The caulking is non-hardening and will remain flexible forever
3) It is completely reversible if you're not happy with the results

3M Strip Caulk is a great product. It's tough, it sticks to almost anything, its essentially permanent although completely reversible if necessary. It's a versatile product designed for the autobody industry but can also be used for many other purposes. I've used it for many various applications since the 1970s.

Skip
01-03-2021, 10:36 PM
Awesome - thanks!
Btw - it is a factory installed spoiler. (for the Aussies - it's the WN II Holden Caprice)

Billy Baldone
01-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Get a Master Blaster. The manufacturers have thought about proper water drainage in the engineering of their vehicles. Probably not going to be that big of a deal on the spoiler, but it sounds like you don't want to stop there. I recently did a GTR. In clearing the jambs in the trunk area, I noticed the water was not draining. Some one wrapped the car at one time and clogged the drainage holes. It was already causing havoc in those areas. My point, be careful where you are diverting the water to.

Skip
01-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Thanks. I'm using a blower already, but it's just a small cordless "workshop" blower - I can't use a Master Blaster because that's mains powered - I need to blow dry it immediately after it comes out of the touchless wash. (automated btw - forgot to mention that)
This small blower actually works well, but it's not strong enough to get all the water out from under the spoiler in a timely manner. I'm probably getting a more powerful leaf blower soon, but even that may still struggle.
I'll take the car to a body shop, and propose the Strip Caulk idea, and see what they think.
I may also just give up on the touchless wash idea and go back to marring my paint with waterless washing. ��

Skip
01-05-2021, 11:07 PM
Would Wurth Bodywork Sealing Tape (https://eshop.wurth.com.au/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/3102-B1-Site/en_GB/-/AUD/ViewPositionDetail-Start?ItemUUID=cc4KD90n3GoAAAF2citaqdXe)be a good substitute for the 3M Strip Caulk? It's easier to source here in Australia.

2black1s
01-05-2021, 11:50 PM
Would Wurth Bodywork Sealing Tape (https://eshop.wurth.com.au/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/3102-B1-Site/en_GB/-/AUD/ViewPositionDetail-Start?ItemUUID=cc4KD90n3GoAAAF2citaqdXe)be a good substitute for the 3M Strip Caulk? It's easier to source here in Australia.

I looked at the product (online) and think it will work. It's 2mm (.08") thick x 20mm (.8") wide butyl rubber which is the same type of material as the 3M.

There is another product on their site, "Round Bodywork Tape", that appears to be the same material although it is a 10mm dia. instead of the flat ribbon-like configuration.

Either should do the trick if you can't find the 3M. The only reservation I have is not knowing the hardness or malleability of the product, relative to the 3M, but it does appear to be a fairly equivalent product.

If you do go this route please be sure to update us... I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Skip
01-06-2021, 03:45 AM
Thanks. I spoke to a few body shops, and I was surprised that they weren't familiar with these products. As it turns out, I'm having the spoiler repainted, and I am taking the opportunity to try and get them to do the sealing at the same time.
One little thing I like about the Wurth is that it appears to be black, which matches the colour of my car.

2black1s
01-06-2021, 12:30 PM
Thanks. I spoke to a few body shops, and I was surprised that they weren't familiar with these products. As it turns out, I'm having the spoiler repainted, and I am taking the opportunity to try and get them to do the sealing at the same time.
One little thing I like about the Wurth is that it appears to be black, which matches the colour of my car.

My guess is that bodyshops may not be familiar with these products (at least the 3M) because there are so many new and different sealants on the market today targeted to specific tasks. The 3M has been around for many, many years and is a universal sealer that can be used for many tasks, but is not that common today.

The problem with the most commonly used sealers today is that they all cure. For most autobody sealing tasks that is a good thing, but a cured sealant is not what you want for your spoiler. If the sealer you use did cure you could never remove the spoiler with cutting it off. You would be essentially gluing it on.

The 3M will never cure or harden and will conform to fill in the gaps between the spoiler and deck lid, thereby creating a perfect-fit, custom gasket. It really is the perfect product for your application.

Skip
01-06-2021, 02:53 PM
Thanks again. Just in case it makes a difference - this spoiler is really just a very small decorative "lip", and they've told me it is actually simply stuck on (with double sided tape, I think)

Skip
01-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Nothing's ever simple. They're going to paint the spoiler without taking it off, because there is a risk that the spoiler will warp if they do. The problem is that they can't get anything underneath it to break the tape, because that may damage the trunk, so they basically have to use brute force and pull it off, and that may bend it.
They're going to try and seal it, but they're not very confident. (and not that interested, either)

IH8SPM
01-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Nothing's ever simple. They're going to paint the spoiler without taking it off, because there is a risk that the spoiler will warp if they do. The problem is that they can't get anything underneath it to break the tape, because that may damage the trunk, so they basically have to use brute force and pull it off, and that may bend it.
They're going to try and seal it, but they're not very confident. (and not that interested, either)What kind of vehicle is this and who did the install that it can't be removed? Any pictures?

Skip
01-06-2021, 06:11 PM
Holden Caprice, factory installed. Just Google "Holden Caprice spoiler" and photos showing the spoiler will be shown.

IH8SPM
01-06-2021, 07:35 PM
Holden Caprice, factory installed. Just Google "Holden Caprice spoiler" and photos showing the spoiler will be shown.Yeah looks like the holes are in the side where water can get trapped.