PDA

View Full Version : Tuff stuff question

jimim
12-29-2020, 03:19 PM
did my wheels on my jeep with it a few weeks ago. i like it. deff keeping the wheels clean and not getting brown. its nice not having to gel them anymore.

i also like to use wolfgang tire wheel cleaner on my wheels and rims weekly when I wash. will this strip off the tuff stuff coating? meaning is the tuff stuff cleaner I used to prep my wheels a lot stronger than the wolfgang tire and wheel cleaner i have used for years now. don't want to undo what I have done.

oh also. can i top coat my wheels mid winter if i just clean them with soap and water during my weekly wash or do i technically have to start all over?

thanks guys,
jim

Rsurfer
12-29-2020, 03:33 PM
Do you mean Tuf Shine?

Rsurfer
12-29-2020, 03:35 PM
BTW Wheels/Rims same thing. Tires are not wheels.

jimim
12-29-2020, 08:08 PM
Ya shine. My bad.

So sorry. Tires.

Rsurfer
12-29-2020, 09:27 PM
Yes, the Tuf Shine cleaner is stronger than most tire cleaners. The coating is so slick, nothing really sticks, but rather just sits on the tires. So, even a waterless wash will clean your tires.

I would say after 2-3 re-coats, then strip and start fresh.

The Guz
12-29-2020, 10:30 PM
Yes the tire cleaner will degrade the tire cleaner faster than simply washing them. I have used the tuf shine tire coating and all I use on them is soap and water with a soft bristled brush to keep them clean. No need to use the tire cleaner. For reapplication a simple wash with soap, IPA (or prep product like Eraser) and the reapply as many coats as you wish to top it off.

If you want to completely remove the coating the tuf shine brush and tuf shine tire cleaner will remove it rather easily.

luckydawg
12-30-2020, 01:19 PM
Love the two tuf shine products mentioned here-- esp. the coating. Wish I had found it years ago, its the perfect tire product for me by A MILE!!

Thomkirby
12-30-2020, 08:08 PM
The Guz is correct and I concur. Tuff Shine instructions state to only use normal soap on the tires.

A respected YouTuber did a comparison on tire coatings and was disappointed in Tuff Shine longevity. He then read those instructions and admitted to using an aggressive cleaner on the tires. Oops!

luckydawg
12-30-2020, 08:18 PM
I just use the regular wash soap or even some APC- cleaned & coated using these two products and tires still look fantastic- & that was sometime in September when I cleaned & coated

jimim
12-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. So I’m all good. I’ll throw another coat on next wash. I only say that cause I have mud tires so getting in those grooves was a task. I got most bit maybe could have done a bit better in a few. I wanted to reapply another coat cause of that. But I will say man with just soap and using the brush that came with the kit they clean up prefect. Soap doesn’t even brown up much. I know for once they r deff clean. I’m really happy with it as a product. I like not having that ultra gloss from the gel to them. Jeeps just don’t look good vs our Tahoe. I’m going to do the Tahoe next week.