PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Ceramic Wax

CSixDude
12-28-2020, 09:38 AM
I purchased a Ceramic coating kit last year from a company and had about half the bottle left over, which I tightly sealed up and put away. I contacted them recently asking if I could still use it and they said no, it only lasts about a week after the bottle is opened. I shook the bottle, and it was still in liquid form and hadn't dried up, so I went ahead and used it anyway. I covered an entire vehicle with it, and it worked just fine and I'm real happy with the results - it looks great and seems to be performing well.

So my question is this: Is this just a marketing ploy to get you to always buy a new batch when you do a vehicle, or is there a real chemical reason why Ceramic coating can't be reused later if it is tightly sealed and stored in a controlled environment?

Mike Phillips
12-28-2020, 10:54 AM
So my question is this: Is this just a marketing ploy to get you to always buy a new batch when you do a vehicle, or is there a real chemical reason why Ceramic coating can't be reused later if it is tightly sealed and stored in a controlled environment?

I'd say you go lucky.

Real or true coating formulas do have a shelf-life from my own experience and that of others too.

I think that fact that you,

which I tightly sealed up and put away.

Paid off.

I have read others comments about this same thing where they have not been so lucky. I think the issue is - when a portion of the coating is used, air or oxygen then replaces it by volume in the bottle. My guess is some products are more affected than others by this exposure to oxygen, even in small amounts like you would find in a half-full tiny glass bottle.

Just a guess.

:)

vobro
12-28-2020, 02:31 PM
I’ve had the original Blackfire Coating go unusable in 3 days, OptiCoat 2 hardened on me in 2 months but never had issues with CQuartz under 4 months. Keep in mind I wasn’t doing an experiment or test but I do mark the coatings on the date used. The issue I have is the product may seemingly be in liquid form but I get nervous of hardened product that I can’t see ie crystalized