PDA

View Full Version : SI02 over chrome wheels?

Bobbykart
12-24-2020, 01:55 PM
I use a metal polish, but the Z51 brake dust is relentless. Any suggestions to last longer on chrome wheels?

TTQ B4U
12-24-2020, 02:41 PM
GYEON Q2 RIM. /thread.

The Guz
12-24-2020, 02:44 PM
Any wheel coating will work to make them easier to clean. Wont prevent the brake dust from sticking.

Edit: 22ple VM1 would be my recommendation.

Eldorado2k
12-24-2020, 03:39 PM
GYEON Q2 RIM. /thread.

Was there supposed to be a link to a thread?

I’ve always heard that ceramic coatings aren’t as effective on chrome wheels, and also that longevity isn’t what it normally is compared to clearcoated OEM wheels.

I’ve never tried coating chrome wheels myself, but my gut leads me to believe it’d be true based on how every other form of protection seems to have a less than desirable result on chrome wheels i.e. wax, spray sealants, even that Armor All Wheel Protectant creates a funky purple colored hologram/haze when applied to chrome wheels.

The best time to inspect what a product has done on chrome wheels is early in the morning when it’s cold and humid outside. That’s when you’ll look at your chrome wheels and regret having waxed them because you’ll notice how much moisture is suddenly hovering on the layer of wax compared to before.

The only thing I’ve found that won’t have an adverse effect on perfect looking chrome wheels is a dedicated chrome/metal polish, and I’ve yet to find 1 that magically repels brake dust.

John U
12-24-2020, 03:45 PM
the Z51 brake dust is relentless.

You need to replace your pads with a different compound.... consult Corvette Forum for the favorites. My base C7 is totally dust free.... less aggressive pads.

I use Zaino AIO and Black Fire Sio2 as a topper in between.

TTQ B4U
12-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Was there supposed to be a link to a thread?

I’ve always heard that ceramic coatings aren’t as effective on chrome wheels, and also that longevity isn’t what it normally is compared to clearcoated OEM wheels.

I’ve never tried coating chrome wheels myself, but my gut leads me to believe it’d be true based on how every other form of protection seems to have a less than desirable result on chrome wheels i.e. wax, spray sealants, even that Armor All Wheel Protectant creates a funky purple colored hologram/haze when applied to chrome wheels.

The best time to inspect what a product has done on chrome wheels is early in the morning when it’s cold and humid outside. That’s when you’ll look at your chrome wheels and regret having waxed them because you’ll notice how much moisture is suddenly hovering on the layer of wax compared to before.

The only thing I’ve found that won’t have an adverse effect on perfect looking chrome wheels is a dedicated chrome/metal polish, and I’ve yet to find 1 that magically repels brake dust.

I didn't include a link sorry. However, it's sold here on AG. I use GYEON products including their primer polish which is a base coat "primer" for the coating as well as a polish. Q2 RIM works fine on Chrome. I've never done a side by side comparison vs a non chromed RIM but I have never had complaints of longevity from customers. I use it on Stainless a lot too.

Eldorado2k
12-25-2020, 09:03 PM
My base C7 is totally dust free.... less aggressive pads.

That’s how my car is too. It seems like I could go a whole month without touching the wheels and they’d still have no brake dust on them.

FUNX650
12-25-2020, 09:35 PM
I use a metal polish, but the Z51
brake dust is relentless.

Any suggestions to last longer
on chrome wheels?

You need to replace your pads with a
different compound.... consult Corvette
Forum for the favorites.

My base C7 is totally dust free....
less aggressive pads.

^^^ :xyxthumbs:

Give Adam a call:
Contact | Ampd Autosport (http://ampdautosport.com/contact/)

Bob