PDA

View Full Version : Interior door scuffs film covering?

Formulaphil
12-23-2020, 09:40 AM
Looking for a clear matte film that would adhere to textured plastic panels to prevent marring? Almost like the temporary film new cars come with but more durable. This is more than a cleaning issue. The shoes are actually rubbing down the texture leaving a permanent mark after cleaning. Want to keep as close to the same finish and color of the panel and I'd like a universal sized roll, not a pre-cut pattern for certain cars. I've seen online vinyl with a carbon fiber pattern and black like leather but shades differ. Would also like to use it above interior door handles where nails scratch the plastic edge as they go into the cup area to grab the release lever.

ducksfan
12-23-2020, 02:47 PM
You might go to metrorestyling.com and take a look at paint protection film or tinted headlight film. I think they have some headlight film that applies dry (like vinyl wrap).

Look around. There's a lot of stuff out there on the net. Just be careful if you buy some knockoff stuff on Amazon or Ebay. Cheap glue (or old - you don't want glued products to sit excessive years before replacing) can be extremely difficult to remove. Just buy quality stuff and switch it out every 2-3 years.

2black1s
12-23-2020, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure that you'd get a nice finish from a "wrap" type of material over the textured finish. It might be ok, it might not.

A simple alternative you might think about is some black vinyl electrical tape. I'm not sure how it would look either I'm just throwing it out as a simple idea. Buy the tape in whatever width you need and have at it. And it would also be very easy to replace from time-to-time.

Mike Phillips
12-23-2020, 03:37 PM
I don't know of any clear, matte film that will lay flat against a textured surface and also look good. (that's two things)

Here's your picture,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101-a/72019d1608734218-interior-door-scuffs-film-covering-door-scuff-jpg

:dunno:

zvez
12-23-2020, 06:17 PM
you might consider this carbon fiber vinyl wrap, available for lots of different cars on ebay. THe carbon look might mask the texture better. I was going to try this on my giulia but haven't got around to it. Carbon Fiber Door Anti Kick Pad Protective Trim For Alfa Romeo Giulia 2017-18 | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Door-Anti-Kick-Pad-Protective-Trim-For-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-2017-18/392885361153?hash=item5b79cada01:g:H2UAAOSw1ctfHFr r)