PDA

View Full Version : what is everyone using for salt removal?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
12-18-2020, 05:33 PM
I have a hard time cutting through salt on my car even with a layer of collinite 476s. Then the fact that multiple snow seasons and the cold make it hard to get things going after a few washes. Has anyone found something that works on paint to cut through road salt? Ammo nyc has something but its like 30 bucks a small bottle which is insane imo

PaulMys
12-18-2020, 05:47 PM
I just wait until it is warm enough, then do a 2 bucket with Meg's Hyper Wash and warm/hot water.

This method seems to remove the salt residue very well.

Mike Hoekstra
12-18-2020, 06:46 PM
I have a hard time cutting through salt on my car even with a layer of collinite 476s. Then the fact that multiple snow seasons and the cold make it hard to get things going after a few washes. Has anyone found something that works on paint to cut through road salt? Ammo nyc has something but its like 30 bucks a small bottle which is insane imo

I use AMMO Boost winter wash. I still have a bottle that's near 2 years old. I add it to my regular wash soap to "boost" it as the name implies. $21 per bottle is high, but it works (I live in North Dakota). Furthermore, Larry is doing the products on his own and buying a bottle supports him. The amount of GOOD free-will information, and instruction, he shares on his YouTube channel is worth the $21.

2black1s
12-18-2020, 07:00 PM
I moved from Ohio to California. Best salt-remedy action I ever made.:D

joebruin77
12-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Not sure if they sell it on AG, but Brian from Apex Detail just released a video review on:

Eastwood Road Salt/Brine Neutralizer

About 6 minutes into the video, he also showed a Ryobi undercarriage attachment for his powerwasher that basically shot water up like a garden sprinkler. It was pretty cool.

Coatingsarecrack
12-18-2020, 07:38 PM

It’s Ammo boost. 1-2 onces to wash bucket. Will last you a couple winters. Nice thing is it can be used with Ammo Frothe. Nice if you don’t want to break out the bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
12-18-2020, 07:46 PM
I have a hard time cutting through salt on my car even with a layer of collinite 476s. Then the fact that multiple snow seasons and the cold make it hard to get things going after a few washes. Has anyone found something that works on paint to cut through road salt? Ammo nyc has something but its like 30 bucks a small bottle which is insane imoYou only use 6 capfuls (about 2 oz) in a foamer with WARM water to wash the car. Yes it's more expensive BUT this is THEE only specific foaming WW on the market and it works, period. The foaming action breaks down the grit and because its foam, creates a safe barrier between you thin, mf towel and your cars paint. It's a little more work to use Frothe from AMMO NYC but its VERY safe and effective for winter duty because it was basically developed FOR winter duty.

GIve it a try and report back and btw you don't need their expensive airator either, the IK foamer will work just fine but make sure the water is warm when you do it and don't make extra to store away for next time, just doesn't work right...make it warm and make it fresh!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
12-18-2020, 08:59 PM
You only use 6 capfuls (about 2 oz) in a foamer with WARM water to wash the car. Yes it's more expensive BUT this is THEE only specific foaming WW on the market and it works, period. The foaming action breaks down the grit and because its foam, creates a safe barrier between you thin, mf towel and your cars paint. It's a little more work to use Frothe from AMMO NYC but its VERY safe and effective for winter duty because it was basically developed FOR winter duty.

GIve it a try and report back and btw you don't need their expensive airator either, the IK foamer will work just fine but make sure the water is warm when you do it and don't make extra to store away for next time, just doesn't work right...make it warm and make it fresh!

You only use 6 capfuls (about 2 oz) in a foamer with WARM water to wash the car. Yes it's more expensive BUT this is THEE only specific foaming WW on the market and it works, period. The foaming action breaks down the grit and because its foam, creates a safe barrier between you thin, mf towel and your cars paint. It's a little more work to use Frothe from AMMO NYC but its VERY safe and effective for winter duty because it was basically developed FOR winter duty.

You should definitely try a different foamer: trying the Marolex, Ammo and IK..... IK had worst foam. Still good but others significantly better.

Just went to garage and sprayed some frothe thats been in marolex since at least June and probably before.

Cold weather too:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201219/bdaa8a36759e6ed19cd58043cfaef18a.jpg

I thought the IK was fine till i tried the Ammo.... then the Marolex. The Ik that is still working has been reduced to wheel duty.

Mike Hoekstra
12-18-2020, 10:09 PM
You should definitely try a different foamer: trying the Marolex, Ammo and IK..... IK had worst foam. Still good but others significantly better.

Just went to garage and sprayed some frothe thats been in marolex since at least June and probably before.

Cold weather too:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201219/bdaa8a36759e6ed19cd58043cfaef18a.jpg

I thought the IK was fine till i tried the Ammo.... then the Marolex. The Ik that is still working has been reduced to wheel duty.

I haven't heard of Marolex. The AMMO foamer is great. I'll be looking in to Marolex also.

Coatingsarecrack
12-19-2020, 12:03 AM
I haven't heard of Marolex. The AMMO foamer is great. I'll be looking in to Marolex also.

I think the ammo works slightly better for Frothe but the Marolex is close and built very well.

FUNX650
12-19-2020, 12:32 AM
IMO:
A “traditional” car wash is the best
road salt removal method.

But when temperatures don’t allow the use
of a traditional car wash, then spraying the
vehicle with some Salt Away, or similar spray-
on salt removal products, prior to the use of
my local Touchless car wash facility is second
best...or at least better than just not bothering
trying to remove the road salt at all.

Bob

DUBL0WS6
12-19-2020, 10:42 AM
Coin op

2black1s
12-19-2020, 10:42 AM
After growing up in Ohio, into my mid-20s, it is my opinion that no matter what you do to remove salt you are fighting a losing battle. The salt creeps into every crack, crevice and seam and nothing you can do will remove it completely.

Washing may help a bit but it certainly is no cure.

For those of you who have lived in salt areas your entire life this may be hard to comprehend, but once I moved to CA and saw the difference it was a real awakening.

If I ever moved back to Ohio I would undoubtably have a "beater" to drive in the winter months while my nice stuff sat in a garage.

Klasse Act
12-19-2020, 11:59 AM
I would also suggest a touch-free wash to get the top layer off, as well as the nooks and crannies and underneath. Just try and stay ontop of it but I still suggest AMMO NYC Frothe [emoji6]

Desertnate
12-21-2020, 08:56 AM
Like many here my solution too is the touchless car wash. If the car is covered in salt, I'll wait for a day that is above/close to freezing and run it through a touchless car wash. If there is an unseasonably warm day, I'll give the vehicles a traditional hand wash.

Touchless car washes aren't perfect and won't get a vehicle as clean as a hand wash, but with coatings on my vehicles, very little salt and grime is left behind. It's enough to keep them respectable until the weather warms up.
My favorite touchless wash has an undercarriage spray too which is VERY handy and does a much better job than I could at home with a power washer or hose.