PDA

View Full Version : Removing streak marks from Reload after fresh Cquartz

egorgol
12-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Just got done putting on two coats of CQuartz on my black CTS. It looked awesome until the next morning before backing out of the garage, when I decided I would top it off with Reload.

I started with the hood and must not have shaken it before I used it, or didn't purge out the old spray in the nozzle. I did the rest of the vehicle and let if sit before I headed out for lunch. Didn't notice the streaks in the hood at the time. The hood is the only panel that has streak marks.

So how to correct the streak marks? Once I noticed I tried to top off with more Reload and rebuff, nope. Tried Eraser, nope. At this point, I'm ready to re-do the hood. But what is needed to remove the Reload streaks? I typically use Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover or Finishing Glaze and a Flex 3401. Is it possible just to polish out the streak marks and without removing my two coats of Cquartz, or will polishing remove that too?

rick100
12-16-2020, 03:32 PM
polishing may remove some of the cquartz , I would not polish it. Reload is pretty weak itself, have you tried a car wash with a good soap ( reset?) .

I m not sure on the cure time of cquartz before a car wash though, I thought it was a week last time I check

If polish is really necessary , I would do a very light hand polish with the least abrasive polish you have or use something like car pro gloss pad with a light polish. But reload is very weak though, it should come out after 1 or 2 car washes , maybe some iron x and eraser.

You may have to wait for the curing time before a wash, worst come to worst you ll re-do the hood if it doesnt come out

Rsurfer
12-16-2020, 04:06 PM
Just get a damp mf and wipe. This works with fresh Reload. Don't know if it will work on semi cured Reload.

Coatingsarecrack
12-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Streaks from Reload should buff out with more reload or damp MF. If it doesn’t streaks may be in your coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
12-16-2020, 04:45 PM
You could have high spots on the hood and think they’re streaks? Reload is pretty known for streaking on dark color cars but shouldn’t be hard to remove, maybe they’re high spots on the coating.

If you have leftover everything, polish the hood and coat it again. Then skip Reload.

BudgetPlan1
12-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Just get a damp mf and wipe. This works with fresh Reload. Don't know if it will work on semi cured Reload.

This works well with Sio2 maint products, especially if the microfiber is damp w/ hot water, followed by a buff with dry microfiber.

OMGClayAiken
12-16-2020, 05:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to me - I just waited it out and they were gone after a couple months I think (can't remember exactly how long but it did take a bit of time)

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
12-16-2020, 06:19 PM
I had the same thing happen to me - I just waited it out and they were gone after a couple months I think (can't remember exactly how long but it did take a bit of time)

Some people are not as patient as you. Most want immediate results, including myself.

OMGClayAiken
12-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I just didn't want to so anything that might hurt the coating

egorgol
12-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm 100% sure the streaks are from the Reload. I'll have to wait for a warmer day and make sure the Cquartz is cured before attempting to repair the streak marks.

TTQ B4U
12-18-2020, 01:43 PM
mix the reload 50/50 with distilled water.

The Guz
12-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Just got done putting on two coats of CQuartz on my black CTS. It looked awesome until the next morning before backing out of the garage, when I decided I would top it off with Reload.

I started with the hood and must not have shaken it before I used it, or didn't purge out the old spray in the nozzle. I did the rest of the vehicle and let if sit before I headed out for lunch. Didn't notice the streaks in the hood at the time. The hood is the only panel that has streak marks.

So how to correct the streak marks? Once I noticed I tried to top off with more Reload and rebuff, nope. Tried Eraser, nope. At this point, I'm ready to re-do the hood. But what is needed to remove the Reload streaks? I typically use Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover or Finishing Glaze and a Flex 3401. Is it possible just to polish out the streak marks and without removing my two coats of Cquartz, or will polishing remove that too?

Do you happen to have a photo to see what it looks like? It should be relatively easy to capture it. Does it appear to be more rainbow looking?

How did you apply reload? Onto a towel? Directly on to the paint? Did you use one towel or multiple? The way that is fool proof is to use a microfiber applicator and apply it like a wax and the wipe it off with a towel. A damp towel would not hurt.

If you have to polish get ready to reapply the coating. It does not take much to remove a coating. To give you an idea I was able to remove Cquartz UK with Essence by hand. If you had Essence Plus that helps with removing high spots if it is caught early. That could possibly work with removing the reload streaks with a carpro gloss pad.