PDA

View Full Version : Intro and questions on getting started

Roborep1
12-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Hello everyone,

Thank you for this forum and all the great info you all contribute. As someone new this website and forum have been a tremendous help to getting started.

I am not a professional detailer so I guess you could call me a driveway enthusiast. 25 years ago when I was a younger man I worked for a small private charter airline cleaning and detailing a variety of planes as the fleet returned and before the next day. I also did company cars or waxed the hanger floors while the fleet was out for the day. I suppose that's where my obsession started :). Autodetailing is always something that was zen for me and I need more of that in my life right now. I have watched 100's of hours of YouTube vids, this site, and read a lot of info in the last few months. Amazing how much has evolved.

I recently purchased an RV with Gel Coat and a Ram 2500 Black Night Edition (black wheels, grill, badging, etc). Both I would like to take care of as they were large investments. I will not be able to garage the truck for a few months (next spring) and I live in the northeast. I have a hose hook up inside the insulated garage and central vac as well, but its not a wash bay. Despite our weather we have plenty of days even in the winter where a wash is very possible.

What I have;

Buckets
Microfibers, microfiber mop on pole, mitts, waffle towels, wheel brushes, microfiber drying towel
Foam cannon and 2800 2.3gpm Gas pressure washer
Had a 10" orbital buffer but I think I threw it out with waxes and compounds that were 15+ years old
I was gifted a chemical guys kit which has a grit guard, snow foam, diablo wheel gel, butter wet wax, glass cleaner, speed wipe

Looking over the truck I just purchased there are some minor scratches and swirl marks that I just missed on delivery and the thing is huge as is the RV so I am thinking a polisher is a good purchase for me. I think the G9 seems like its in my budget for the couple times a year I will use it. Regarding the truck I would like to keep it looking new, but I live in the Northeast, my in laws live on a dirt road, its huge so I have already hit some small branches in peoples driveways. With this situation and my life being super busy with work, multiple fast routines are going to be more my speed. It doesn't have to be showroom ready I just want to keep it looking nice.

I am looking for advice on;

polisher g9 thoughts?
Polishing compound for the light scratches and swirls on the new truck. Was thinking a finishing polish but this is a new area for me.
Wax, sealant recommendation. Was leaning towards Powerlock + & Collinite 845
Is an all in one possible?
Caring for black wheels tips?
I don't have a wheel woolie, can I use some old dedicated mircrofibers or wash mitts on the wheels?
Interior is mostly leather including dash, wheel, seats. Need an interior detail spray?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Mike Phillips
12-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone,

Thank you for this forum and all the great info you all contribute. As someone new this website and forum have been a tremendous help to getting started.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I am looking for advice on;

polisher g9 thoughts?
Polishing compound for the light scratches and swirls on the new truck. Was thinking a finishing polish but this is a new area for me.
Wax, sealant recommendation. Was leaning towards Powerlock + & Collinite 845
Is an all in one possible?
Caring for black wheels tips?
I don't have a wheel woolie, can I use some old dedicated mircrofibers or wash mitts on the wheels?
Interior is mostly leather including dash, wheel, seats. Need an interior detail spray?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I tend to like to type out helpful and somewhat long replies not for the sake of length but to be helpful. That said, I'm in a bind and way behind so here's a brief reply.

The Griot's G9 is a great entry level but powerful polisher that is also 100% safe - swirl-free and hologram free results. The key with the polisher and the SIZE of the projects you're buffing out will be LOTS of pads. If you've read any of my write-ups - I try to always show how many pads I went through to do a job right. The reason for lots of pads is because as you work around a project - the pad will become WET with products.

Wet foam pads don't rotate well.
Wet foam pads lose any cut they offered like when they were dry.

I would recommend the G9 with the 5" optional backing plate and then get a stash of the new RUPES yellow 6" foam polishing pads.

Then get a quart or a gallon of the BLACKFIRE One Step and take care of both the RV and the truck. You'll love this product and paired with the above tool and pads it will make doing the work as fast as possible and as easy as possible. Your arms will thank you when it comes to wipe-off.

You'll also need lots of good towels, check out the Forrest Green or Storm Grey edgeless towels. I think normal price for a dozen is $20.00 - get 2 dozen, wait for a sale - and then put a process into place to keep them clean during use and when not in use.

Have to go, making a shop run.

:)

Roborep1
12-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I tend to like to type out helpful and somewhat long replies not for the sake of length but to be helpful. That said, I'm in a bind and way behind so here's a brief reply.

The Griot's G9 is a great entry level but powerful polisher that is also 100% safe - swirl-free and hologram free results. The key with the polisher and the SIZE of the projects you're buffing out will be LOTS of pads. If you've read any of my write-ups - I try to always show how many pads I went through to do a job right. The reason for lots of pads is because as you work around a project - the pad will become WET with products.

Wet foam pads don't rotate well.
Wet foam pads lose any cut they offered like when they were dry.

I would recommend the G9 with the 5" optional backing plate and then get a stash of the new RUPES yellow 6" foam polishing pads.

Then get a quart or a gallon of the BLACKFIRE One Step and take care of both the RV and the truck. You'll love this product and paired with the above tool and pads it will make doing the work as fast as possible and as easy as possible. Your arms will thank you when it comes to wipe-off.

You'll also need lots of good towels, check out the Forrest Green or Storm Grey edgeless towels. I think normal price for a dozen is $20.00 - get 2 dozen, wait for a sale - and then put a process into place to keep them clean during use and when not in use.

Have to go, making a shop run.

:)

Thanks Mike for the thoughtful response. I watched a lot of your videos but I have not made it through all the guides, many of which I discovered today when I registered for the forum. Not sure how I missed them previously. I appreciate the advice and will read through them and I am sure be back with questions. I spent many summers on Hutchinson Island with my grandparents...fond memories of the area its gorgeous.

PaulMys
12-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Welcome to AGO. :)

I will second Mike's recommendation of the G9. Tons of power, and great machine. And like all of Griot's products, it comes with a lifetime warranty. No questions asked.

As for the All In Ones, BF One-Step like Mike mentioned, or 3D Speed is another great AIO with incredibly easy use/removal.

I would also recommend the 5" backing plate, and in addition to the Rupes pads, I would also look into the Griot's BOSS pads, or Lake Country Flat pads. You cannot go wrong with any of these IMO.