PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Pages : [1] 2

BigMac73
12-07-2020, 10:16 PM
I’m posting this here because I really like WG products and have had a lot of great results from the DGPS. I have a new Toyota Tacoma magnetic grey color and am planning on sealing it with DGPS and top coating with Fuzion wax. Thoughts? Also, how long do I need to wait to do anything? It was manufactured about 3 weeks ago. I’ve heard everything from 1 month to 6 months to wait before you do anything to a new car. Finally, any product recommendations for rims?

Rsurfer
12-07-2020, 10:27 PM
OEM paint are heat baked, so no need to wait for out gassing.

jankerson
12-07-2020, 10:32 PM
I’m posting this here because I really like WG products and have had a lot of great results from the DGPS. I have a new Toyota Tacoma magnetic grey color and am planning on sealing it with DGPS and top coating with Fuzion wax. Thoughts? Also, how long do I need to wait to do anything? It was manufactured about 3 weeks ago. I’ve heard everything from 1 month to 6 months to wait before you do anything to a new car. Finally, any product recommendations for rims?

Do you have a Random Orbital Polisher?

Just asking before recommending anything.

BigMac73
12-07-2020, 10:56 PM
Do you have a Random Orbital Polisher?

Just asking before recommending anything.

Yes I do.

jankerson
12-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Yes I do.

OK. :)

WG Total Swirl Remover and or Uber Compound.

WG Finishing Glaze.

Get some Clay, clay the car before starting to work on the paint.

Then your DGPS and FUZION.

it's a new car, it will need some work.

This is my 2005 Dodge Ram, done last week.

WG TSR then Finishing Glaze and DGPS.

https://photos.smugmug.com/FLEX-Paint-Correction/i-VTDTF2K/0/48674a0a/4K/IMG_0173-4K.jpg (https://jimankerson.smugmug.com/FLEX-Paint-Correction/i-VTDTF2K/A)

https://photos.smugmug.com/FLEX-Paint-Correction/i-NtWK9ZS/0/53b75e73/4K/IMG_0168-4K.jpg (https://jimankerson.smugmug.com/FLEX-Paint-Correction/i-NtWK9ZS/A)

BigMac73
12-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.

jankerson
12-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.

After the dealership gets done it with there are usually all kinds of rotary buffer marks from when they wax it then just the time you owned it etc. there will be swirls and water spots in the paint.

Just normal really.

BigMac73
12-08-2020, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I figured if they touched it, it’d be a bad job. Paint doesn’t look too bad but I haven’t had a chance to really inspect it too much yet. I just picked it up.
Your truck looks great!

jankerson
12-08-2020, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I figured if they touched it, it’d be a bad job. Paint doesn’t look too bad but I haven’t had a chance to really inspect it too much yet. I just picked it up.
Your truck looks great!

Let us know once you look at it on the direct sun, it will show everything, and it's dark grey?

Yeah they normally use a rotary buffer with wool pads and just slap on the wax and use another one to buff it off. Just whatever is fastest and easiest to get them out the door. And that's after they do a whatever quick wash using who knows what.

I am thinking you won't have to be too aggressive with it.

Likely just WG TSM with a light cutting pad or polishing pad maybe, but that's without even seeing it so I could be wrong.

Then follow up with WG Finishing Glaze and a polishing pad.

Then the DGPS and Fuzion.

Thanks for the comment. :)

KBsToy
12-08-2020, 05:32 AM
My want to add decon process also . Prepping is the most important part.
Iron Remover
Clay.

glen e
12-08-2020, 06:17 AM
Tell the dealer you don’t want anything but a rinse, and to take the plastic off and do the computer stuff, then take it home and do your thing… Don’t let them touch it with a buffer, rags or anything else…

MarkD51
12-08-2020, 06:22 AM
All depends how much the dealer did (bad) before you got the vehicle?

I don't think it's a common prep task that a dealer will start buffing paint with polishers, etc. All they want to do is spend as little time possible to get a vehicle out the door and into the customer's hands.

I would say after a careful wash and dry, inspect the paint-etc visually, and as well the plastic baggie test also wouldn't hurt.

I'm of the "less is more" camp in that I'd let things live a little before resorting to any use of abrasive polishes if one can avoid such.
Because any time you polish, you are removing some paint.

Perhaps for now, sure, WGDGPS-Fuzion, cant go wrong there. Have good wash products on hand, and use good techniques would be my suggestions initially, then go from there.
All the WG products are great, and one might not have a need to resort to either WG TSR or Uber Compound at this point. The mildest in the line-up is the finishing glaze which is not a glaze, but an ultra fine polish to bring out the best high gloss finish.

glen e
12-08-2020, 06:43 AM
My car should be delivered around Christmas time, after I get home I’ll do a complete wash and then the following:
1. A slow orbital with a very mild pad with car Pro essence gloss enhancer, prob just the sides....
2. Black fire SIO2 spray
3. And then every couple months after wash, Carpro hydr02 lite spray rinse....

It’s a leased car so I’m not gonna spend hours on a detail, just enough to set up a self cleaning Surface.....

jankerson
12-08-2020, 12:01 PM
All depends how much the dealer did (bad) before you got the vehicle?

I don't think it's a common prep task that a dealer will start buffing paint with polishers, etc. All they want to do is spend as little time possible to get a vehicle out the door and into the customer's hands.

Oh yeah they do... I have seen it with my own eyes.

It's part of the exit prep before the customer gets the car.

They go over them inside and out, washing the outside then hit it with some wax using a rotary buffer and wool pad. You can cover the whole car with wax in about a min or two. Usually something like Megs #26 Yellow Wax, dries fast too. Then hit it again with the wool pad to remove it.

Fast as possible.

When the cars come off the truck there is work to do before they even put them on the lot.

But they don't do anything to the outside of the cars then, they wait until it's sold 1st. The cars could be sitting out on the lot for MONTHS before they are sold.

jankerson
12-08-2020, 12:08 PM
My car should be delivered around Christmas time, after I get home I’ll do a complete wash and then the following:
1. A slow orbital with a very mild pad with car Pro essence gloss enhancer
2. Black fire SIO2 spray
3. And then every couple months after wash, Carpro hydr02 lite spray rinse....

It’s a leased car so I’m not gonna spend hours on a detail, just enough to set up a self cleaning Surface.....

If it's a lease I wouldn't do too much with it either.