PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic spray vs paste paint sealant.

Fye456
12-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Hi there, I have a 2016 Tacoma as a daily and just have a couple questions on routine detailing, it will have light swirls and scratches as I am not going for 100% correction which I don't think you should on a daily. However I am just a weekend warrior with this stuff.

Is there any advantage anymore of durability when applying a paste sealant with a dual action polisher over using a spray ceramic sealant like the hybrid solutions that are out now? Seems like they have come along way with the synthetics.

Just seems like more of a production to get pads, risk staining your trim and running a machine.

It seems if you keep up with the spray ceramic with top coats of spray wax the protection should be similar? Just seeing if anyone has gone this route.

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
12-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Because this is your first post... ( I just approved your pending account)

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I think all other factors being equal - a spray-on ceramic will last longer than a conventional synthetic sealant or carnauba wax, be they in liquid or paste form.

I think I'm still in the camp of using a one-step cleaner/wax on a semi-regular basis. Fast, easy maintains that just detailed look.

:)

Fye456
12-04-2020, 09:28 AM
Because this is your first post... ( I just approved your pending account)

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

I think all other factors being equal - a spray-on ceramic will last longer than a conventional synthetic sealant or carnauba wax, be they in liquid or paste form.

I think I'm still in the camp of using a one-step cleaner/wax on a semi-regular basis. Fast, easy maintains that just detailed look.

:)

Thanks for the reply! What is recommended for one of those one step cleaners. I'm sure there are many options out there.

rockford33
12-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Turtle Wax has a relatively new Ceramic polish and protect protect as a one step, which you could then follow up/maintain with any of their ceramic sprays. Mike recently did a review of their one step product. I also recently used it on my wife's car and found it fairly easy to work with.

Neil

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

weekend warrior
12-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Welcome to Autogeek....I am not a pro....my car sits outside 24/7....in Fl. ...this what I use now...Blackfire one step....and top it with Blackfire SIO2 paint sealant...I do use a porta cable. buffer to put on the one step...but you can put it on by hand...hope this helps

pilotpip
12-04-2020, 09:32 PM
I know it's a bit of an initial expense, but a polisher will get far better results in much less time than trying to do a truck by hand. Blackfire all in one is a really good product.

Nav45
12-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Fye456, welcome! Glad to have you here.

To correct the swirls on your truck, you should definitely get a dual orbiter polisher. That is the only real way you can get them out. If you can live with the swirls, then you can skip it. Waxes and sealants can be applied by hand.

As far as spray on si02 products, I cannot say much besides that they don't seem to be too much more durable than regular spray waxes/sealants. I think si02 is more of a gimmick most of the time - but not all. The real coatings and some "real" si02 sprays are the exception. I just had one experience with a sort of semi-si02 spray product. Didn't seem any more hydrophobic than regular spray products. As far as keeping up with the si02 spray product, I would just use the same product over it. No need to top it with something different.