PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for Bird bombs

WEST SIDE
11-25-2020, 10:20 PM
So after reading another post about bird bombs and specifically it etching WGDGPS was wondering what's best.
For the ones I have Duragloss 105, Klasse KSG , WGDGPS and Collinite 845/476 all say they protect against bird droppings except WGDGPS.
I was ready to use the WGDGPS but now not so sure.

FUNX650
11-25-2020, 11:36 PM
•Bird bombs must always be removed ASAP.

-Sealants will provide just a wee little bit
of extra time to “git ‘er done”...

How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/30535-how-long-does-take-bird-dropping-etch-paint.html)

Bob

WEST SIDE
11-25-2020, 11:50 PM
•Bird bombs must always be removed ASAP.

-Sealants will provide just a wee little bit
of extra time to “git ‘er done”...

How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/30535-how-long-does-take-bird-dropping-etch-paint.html)

Bob

Wow a 10 year old post and it still holds true.
Are coatings any better? I guess if it eats clear coat/paint nothing is bulletproof.
I just may continue with what I have.

Thanks
Bob

PS I just noticed the time difference :)

davidc
11-26-2020, 09:55 AM
I have had etching with sealants. Zaino and Duragloss to be specific. Since changing to Collinite (any one) I have had zero water spots and etching over the last 8-10 years and I do not need to run out and dry the vehicles after rain and the Sun coming out. I can also remove bird bombs when I get to them without being paranoid.

Jayfro
11-26-2020, 11:07 AM
I’ve had no issues with WGDGPS on my black Acura TLX and my wife’s white X3. I am quick to remove them on my TLX since I drive it, my wife’s car I won’t see until the evenings on the following morning.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

WEST SIDE
11-26-2020, 07:33 PM
I have had etching with sealants. Zaino and Duragloss to be specific. Since changing to Collinite (any one) I have had zero water spots and etching over the last 8-10 years and I do not need to run out and dry the vehicles after rain and the Sun coming out. I can also remove bird bombs when I get to them without being paranoid.

I’ve had no issues with WGDGPS on my black Acura TLX and my wife’s white X3. I am quick to remove them on my TLX since I drive it, my wife’s car I won’t see until the evenings on the following morning.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

I'm starting to think it's certain types of birds?
I;m glad the chickens here don't fly,except when I use the paintball gun.

PaulMys
11-27-2020, 06:44 PM

Exactly my experience with Collinite. Especially 476S.

I posted about the WGDG/Fuzion combo a couple of months ago. Nothing looked as good as these two on my metallic paint. But a small bird bomb (size of a nickel) that had dwelled less than 30 minutes ate right through them like nothing.

I may take another members advice, and try the WG combo next spring, then top with 476S.

Rsurfer
11-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Exactly my experience with Collinite. Especially 476S.

I posted about the WGDG/Fuzion combo a couple of months ago. Nothing looked as good as these two on my metallic paint. But a small bird bomb (size of a nickel) that had dwelled less than 30 minutes ate right through them like nothing.

I may take another members advice, and try the WG combo next spring, then top with 476S.

IMO the potency of bird $hit (etching) depends highly on what the bird ate. Foods high in acid would be much worse than grass seeds.

PaulMys
11-27-2020, 09:41 PM
IMO the potency of bird $hit (etching) depends highly on what the bird ate. Foods high in acid would be much worse than grass seeds.

Of course this is true.

But a bird could try a Chicago-style pizza over at DiMiglo's house, then fly over to UncleDavy's for some Boston baked beans, and never soil the 476. ;)

WEST SIDE
11-28-2020, 12:37 AM
Of course this is true.

But a bird could try a Chicago-style pizza over at DiMiglo's house, then fly over to UncleDavy's for some Boston baked beans, and never soil the 476. ;)

Well I don't think it's the rice they're eating here, so it must be the spam musubi or pork adobo.:)
Too far to fly to Chicago or Boston!

hoyt66
11-28-2020, 05:52 AM
I once left a bird bomb for 6 days to test McKees's37 High Def Paint Sealant. No factor

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/108633-mckees37high-paint-sealant-vs-bird-poop.html?highlight=bird