PDA

View Full Version : Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser. Spray paint removal

Pages : [1] 2

lj993
11-19-2020, 01:10 PM
I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was vandalized by some peaceful protestors. I need to remove the spray paint graffiti. Spray paint has been on since July/August. I researched liquid carnuba. It slightly cut the spray paint, but requires way too much work. Paint has probably been sitting too long.

Next up, aggressive clay bar followed by compound and orange pad or the Rupes blue pad and blue course sauce. Maybe try one half with the Rupes and one half with the assortment of other compounds that I have in the arsenal.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Obviously there are some panels, most panels that are going to require body work or dentless paint repair and the front fenders will likely need to be replaced.

Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

davidc
11-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Peaceful protest does not include damaging/destroying others property. They are some sorry SOB's

DUBL0WS6
11-19-2020, 02:51 PM
You'll need some strong cleaning and polishing compounds to get that off.

lj993
11-19-2020, 02:57 PM
DavidC, I love the SAC. My dad flew a B-47 back in the day. Thanks for keeping us safe.

IH8SPM
11-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Is this an auction vehicle purchase? The reason I ask is because I have a few friends that have been buying up cars from auctions in similar condition except they were not totaled out for paint damage. From what I heard a few employees were paid to use some type of spray to mark up the cars to drop their value. Start with the least aggressive step and see what happens you may get lucky. To bad most states no longer arrest people for property damage during riots and looting events.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

lj993
11-19-2020, 04:13 PM
Yes, Copart auction car. I have been watching it since August. I was able to get a decent amount of maintenance records. We will see what a little TLC can do.
Plan:
1. start with some liquid carnuba wax.
2. Clay Bar (medium/aggressive)
3. Polishing Compound and Yellow Pad
4. Rupes Blue/Blue Pad
5. Optimum Compound and Orange Pad/Micro Fiber Pad

I think that one of those steps should get the spray paint off. My son tried the carnuba wax. It cut the spray paint, but looked like it was going to take a while to get it off using that method.

lj993
11-19-2020, 04:27 PM
Here is a shot after a minute with the carnuba wax and a micro fiber towel. 7159371594

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

psnt1ol
11-19-2020, 04:33 PM
Not sure if this would be effective but I saw a video of Chicago auto pros used this to remove old plastic dip.

https://youtu.be/6shmXrvftwI

John U
11-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Try some paint thinner. On a factory paint it should not hurt it. Of course test it.

IH8SPM
11-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Yes, Copart auction car. I have been watching it since August. I was able to get a decent amount of maintenance records. We will see what a little TLC can do.
Plan:
1. start with some liquid carnuba wax.
2. Clay Bar (medium/aggressive)
3. Polishing Compound and Yellow Pad
4. Rupes Blue/Blue Pad
5. Optimum Compound and Orange Pad/Micro Fiber Pad

I think that one of those steps should get the spray paint off. My son tried the carnuba wax. It cut the spray paint, but looked like it was going to take a while to get it off using that method.Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to the B&A shots.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TMQ
11-19-2020, 06:45 PM
Paint reducer----get it from a body shop. Safer than thinner....

Slow to remove---Keep at it.

tom

acuRAS82
11-20-2020, 05:47 AM
Sorry that happened to your vehicle! Not very peaceful at all.

joshhas99problems
11-20-2020, 05:50 AM
You mean you DONT want to drive around with "f*ck police" painted on the side of your car?! Good luck with the removal, I'd have lost my mind if that happened to any of my cars which is partially why I've avoided downtown Portland for several months!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coatingsarecrack
11-20-2020, 05:58 AM
You mean you DONT want to drive around with "f*ck police" painted on the side of your car?! Good luck with the removal, I'd have lost my mind if that happened to any of my cars which is partially why I've avoided downtown Portland for several months!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry that happened to your vehicle! Not very peaceful at all.

You guys missed it. He bought it like that from an auction.

If you can get a perfectly good car with paint damage for totalled price it’s a steel. If it doesn’t come off you can always wrap it or plasti dip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acuRAS82
11-20-2020, 08:01 AM
You guys missed it. He bought it like that from an auction.

If you can get a perfectly good car with paint damage for totalled price it’s a steel. If it doesn’t come off you can always wrap it or plasti dip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did miss that. I’m sorry for whoever used to own that car then. Or for the insurance company or whoever got dealt the worst from terrible behavior.