PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a sealant, least aggressive method

Eastcoastdetailer
11-18-2020, 09:16 PM
First post here but longtime observer and reader,

Recently I've been studying up on cleaner waxes and I believe I understand the concept. However if one had a sealant to put on and that sealant was only a sealant and not a cleaner wax/sealant combo....what would be the least aggressive manner to prepare the paint?

From my understanding it's 3* but really 2 in regards to this question:

1. Use a very light/non-aggressive polish or finishing polish
2. Use some type of surface prep such as CarPro Eraser or Opt Paint prep
*3. Use a cleaner/wax sealant combo (out of scope as my question is in regards to products that clean and prep only)

Which one of the first two would be the least aggressive path? One is removing a very small amount of clear while one is introducing IPA/some type of solvent into the mix.

Apologies if I misunderstood any of the concepts or products mentioned above, still learning :)

Mike Phillips
11-18-2020, 09:21 PM
Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Out of the options you listed as choices, either choice 1 or 2 - I would suggest option 1

Option 1 will improve the paint and prep it while option to will only prep or chemically strip the surface - no improvement.

What are you working on and what are you trying to accomplish?

:)

Eastcoastdetailer
11-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Wow quick response Mike, really appreciate it, you must have a keyboard at the ready ;)

I'm working on prepping my own car for leftover sealant I have but the panels do not really need any correction. They've been washed and clayed but that's it.

I was also just still trying to understand in an absolute sense, what would be the most least aggressive way one could prep a surface.

Mike Phillips
11-18-2020, 09:53 PM
They've been washed and clayed but that's it.

Your there.

Apply the sealant.

:)

Eastcoastdetailer
11-19-2020, 06:56 AM
Thanks Mike