PDA

View Full Version : Question on steam cleaner/ smoke removal?

Pages : [1] 2

TrustJesus
11-18-2020, 01:32 AM
Does steam cleaning the
leather dry it out in anyway?

How can we remove smoke smell without an ozone machine?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Rsurfer
11-18-2020, 02:06 AM
Most modern leather are coated. So no, the steam is not in direct contact with the leather. When cleaning leather with steam, you should use a leather cleaning tool that is wrapped with a microfiber towel and not directly cleaning with hot steam which could harm the coating.

Smoke and milk are tough odors to remove. Use an enzyme that will remove the order rather than cover them up.

TrustJesus
11-18-2020, 02:14 AM
Thanks Rsurfer,

I’m sorry what is an enzyme?

Icarus
11-18-2020, 02:14 AM
Most modern leather are coated. So no, the steam is not in direct contact with the leather. When cleaning leather with steam, you should use a leather cleaning tool that is wrapped with a microfiber towel and not directly cleaning with hot steam which could harm the coating.

Smoke and milk are tough odors to remove. Use an enzyme that will remove the order rather than cover them up.

Whats a 'leather cleaning tool' look like?
Thxs

Billy Baldone
11-18-2020, 03:27 AM
The P&S Odor Docs act as a single use ozone treatment. Try one of those. P&S terminator is the enzyme cleaner I use

TTQ B4U
11-18-2020, 04:51 AM
Gone are the days of talking about Ozone for effective removal. It's a good tool for lighter lingering airborne odors but for deep down stink more is definitely needed. I've posted about them here before and moved over to them once having gone through some serious education on commercial equipment use for interiors.
I use Reset brand. Reset Chlorine Dioxide | Safely remove odor, mold, mildew, algae (https://resetchlorinedioxide.com/)

I've stepped up to a full commercial system that ranges in use from Automotive to Commercial buildings and Apartments. The only difference is in the amount of product used and a slight difference in it's actual deployment.

Chlorine Dioxide (ClO₂) is a chemical compound made up of one atom of chlorine and two atoms of oxygen. Do not confuse ClO₂ with typical household chlorine bleach or HTH. Chlorine dioxide is actually an oxidizing agent, not a chlorinating agent. Unlike alternative chemicals, ClO₂ reacts with organic matter through SELECTIVE OXIDATION rather than SUBSTITUTION. ClO₂ Is Non-Staining, Non-Masking, Non-Corrosive with No Fragrance, No VOCs, No Residue, No Wiping or Rinsing is required. Safely Neutralizes & Eliminates Mold & Mildew, Fire & Cigarette Smoke, Pet, Food, Urine & Rodent Odors, Perfumes & Chemical Masking Agents. Only ClO₂ may be generated and used as either a ‘gas vapor’ or ‘liquid’ in the atmosphere and on non-porous & porous surfaces.

Just place the tablet in 4oz water on a rubber matt or something to contain the splatter, put in a basic $12 battery operated aerator and let it go for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark start the vehicle and let its HVAC run in recirculate mode for 20 minutes.

https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/171051687/original.jpg

A great Enzyme Product that I use is this one:

DEODORIZERS & ODOR CONTROL | Newline Industries (https://pronewline.com/products/deodorizers/)

ducksfan
11-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Whats a 'leather cleaning tool' look like?
Thxs

He's probably referring to an upholstery attachment that goes on the end of your steam hose. The one I have is triangular and has clasps to secure a towel (microfiber or cotton - depends on what you're doing).

ducksfan
11-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Does steam cleaning the
leather dry it out in anyway?

How can we remove smoke smell without an ozone machine?

Thanks in advance

If you use a leather AIO ( I use Meguiar's - inexpensive and works well) with the steam, you shouldn't have a problem.

TrustJesus
11-18-2020, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys for the help.

Icarus
11-19-2020, 12:14 AM
He's probably referring to an upholstery attachment that goes on the end of your steam hose. The one I have is triangular and has clasps to secure a towel (microfiber or cotton - depends on what you're doing).

ah, ok thanks :)

TrustJesus
11-20-2020, 05:44 PM
Another question on steamer for the pros.

We all agree not all cars need steaming.

In what aspects would a steamer help you clean an interior faster?

ducksfan
11-21-2020, 01:09 AM
Another question on steamer for the pros.

We all agree not all cars need steaming.

In what aspects would a steamer help you clean an interior faster?

Carpets and upholstery that aren't so dirty that they need an extractor (light surface dirt).

You can use it on door jambs. It's not necessarily quicker. But if you have it out anyhow...

Headliners in some cases - especially the solid one piece ones. Just have to be very careful if you use it around glued in place ones.

I've never used it to remove gum. But it's supposed to work well. I would watch a video of a pro carpet cleaner doing this before trying myself. Plus, I would have the right chems to assist.

I know some guys post that they use one on plastics. But, that's dicey because if you have one that gets really hot, you run the risk of overheating the plastic and discoloring it. I've never owned a cheap one. But, plastics are the one place I think a cheaper one that runs cooler and wetter might be better. Don't go with my advice on that, it's just a guess. Personally, I don't use mine on plastics.

The outside of a steering wheel where you put your dirty hands. Maybe, but realize...

I almost always use my steamer with a MF or cotton rag wrapped around it. They're just so hot, they can do damage.

TrustJesus
11-21-2020, 01:31 AM
@Ducksfan are you in Oregon by chance?

I agree with you on everything you said especially discoloring some plastics, it’s a risk honestly. And also the part being hot and damaging something unless you have a MF?

Does steam kill any bacteria at all, if so which ones? In case a client ever ask me?

ducksfan
11-21-2020, 01:43 AM
No, I'm in SoCal.

Steam is a good disinfectant. So, yeah most germs/bacteria should be killed by it. But, I'm not a scientist. So, if you want specifics you should research it or talk to someone more knowledgeable than me.

TrustJesus
11-21-2020, 02:08 AM
Thanks Ducksfan, don’t discredit your abilities. You know more then you might know.