PDA

View Full Version : Overspray removal

jimim
11-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Hey guys. I had to have a new flare put on my Jeep. When it went to the shop for paint they did a good job except they got some overspray on the side. Can I remove it on my own without discoloring the black textured plastic? If I can do it my self I would rather cause they will prob just take more harsh chemicals to it and ruin it more. I’m on my phone. I can’t get the pic to upload. It’s just small white colored overspray on textured typical black plastic trim they use on Jeep’s and other vehicles.

FUNX650
11-14-2020, 12:27 PM
Automotive Clay was purposefully invented
for the removal of overspray.

IMO:
I’d give some mild Clay a try first, before
taking it back to the shop. (That is, unless
the repair was/still is warrantable.)

Bob

Bill D
11-14-2020, 01:15 PM
Clay worked for me. Just be prepared to take a while to do it.

Rsurfer
11-14-2020, 03:50 PM
Clay worked for me. Just be prepared to take a while to do it.

Was it textured plastic? I don't see how clay will remove the paint on textured plastic, but what do I know.:D

Bill D
11-14-2020, 03:52 PM
It was mostly paint with some textured plastic lowers. It took a long time and I admit I may have just got lucky.

FUNX650
11-14-2020, 04:23 PM
If one looks close enough, isn’t CC paint
also a “textured” plastic?

Bob

jimim
11-15-2020, 03:15 PM

jimim
11-15-2020, 03:16 PM
just click to enlarge. its the inner lip of the flare which is rough plastic trim like I said. I don't see how clay is going to get it off. I'll have to go buy some tomorrow. I have been using nano mitts lately and have no clay.

FUNX650
11-15-2020, 04:49 PM
just click to enlarge. its the inner lip of the
flare which is rough plastic trim like I said.

I don't see how clay
is going to get it off.

I’d at least give mild Clay a chance.

You said you don’t want this:

If I can do it my self I would rather cause
they will prob just take more harsh chemicals
to it and ruin it more.

“Least aggressive first”. ~M.P.

Bob

jimim
11-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Thanks. I’ll do that tomorrow. I want to avoid the shop till last resort.

mc2hill
11-16-2020, 10:32 AM
I use plastic razor blades or a plastic putty knife with APC to remove road paint from those areas. It may take a while, but it does come off.

Mike Phillips
11-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Hey guys. I had to have a new flare put on my Jeep.

When it went to the shop for paint they did a good job except they got some overspray on the side.

Can I remove it on my own without discoloring the black textured plastic? If I can do it my self I would rather cause they will prob just take more harsh chemicals to it and ruin it more. I’m on my phone. I can’t get the pic to upload. It’s just small white colored overspray on textured typical black plastic trim they use on Jeep’s and other vehicles.

And here's my article on the above topic,

The most common place to get overspray on your car is a body shop by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-new-car-detailing-how-article-mike-phillips/115736-most-common-place-get-overspray-your-car-body-shop-mike-phillips.html)

I'm vindicated again. :bolt:

just click to enlarge. its the inner lip of the flare which is rough plastic trim like I said.

Here's your pictures,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101-a/71560d1605471308-overspray-removal-img_5323-2-jpg

I don't see how clay is going to get it off. I'll have to go buy some tomorrow. I have been using nano mitts lately and have no clay.

Pebble Textured Black Plastic Trim is the CURSE of the car detailing world. I should write an article for this topic. :D

Rubbing clay over pebble textured black plastic trim risks getting clay impacted into all the textured plastic or the voids in the texture. I wouldn't do it.

I have had good luck using Stoner's XENIT

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fxenit.ht ml)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Xenit.jpg

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

XENIT is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

XENIT contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials.

This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. XENIT removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.

The way I've used it is to dampen a rag with this stuff and then HOLD it against the area you want to clean. Then let TIME do it's thing. The oils will penetrate the offending overspray and loosen it and then you can wipe/scrub until it's gone.

Probably any orange or citrus oil would work. The key is time.

:)