PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of a process - Wheel soap

grambow
11-07-2020, 08:31 AM
I have been detailing for the better part of thirty years. I've made a ton of mistakes and learned a lot. To this day, my process continues to evolve.

My current process includes following Ivan's recommendation for washing with ONR and drying with the aid of Opti Seal. I modified his process a bit to involve a pre-rinse with my pressure washer and a single bucket with a clean Megs MF mitt for each panel.

Where I struggle is with tires, wheels and wheel-wells. I've invested a good amount of money in various tools like foam cannons and my Karcher pressure washer, and I still find foaming quite satisfying despite trusting in my heart of hearts that it's not the best wash method. I've decided to dedicate my foam cannon to washing wheels and wells, exclusively. My question is, other than AMMO wheel soap, does anyone use a stronger shampoo or wheel soap in their cannon? I've gotten cheap these days and I cannot justify the price of the boutique AMMO stuff and I feel like I could use something a little stronger than shampoo.

I found a deal on 5 gallons on Cherry Suds on Amazon and I hate it! HA. I use it in my foam cannon and the foaming action sucks. So before I go and buy a Honeydew or whatever, I thought I'd check if anyone is in a similar boat.

THANKS!

briarpatch
11-07-2020, 09:33 AM
I use whatever soap I have on the shelf on my wheels, ever since I followed someone's advice and started coating them. Like the rest of my vehicle, they never get really dirty anyway. I do keep a dedicated wheel cleaner (Sonax) around for doing other people's cars, if they need it.....but I typically go with soap and water first. I also use Optimum Power Clean in an IK foamer at 5:1, with very good results.

If you're strictly looking for a solid, economical soap for your foam cannon, Honeydew is a good choice. I'd recommend Meguiars HyperWash or P&S Pearl too. Both work well out of the foam cannon, and are very affordable, especially by the gallon

Craig Encinitas
11-07-2020, 09:44 AM
I think any decent soap with a couple good separate wheel and tire brushes should work on most anything. Tires being the hardest to really get deep down and clean, however.

Coatingsarecrack
11-08-2020, 05:23 AM
I’ve found that higher ph soaps break down the grime better as a pre foam but i usually mechanically agitate (use brushes).

With that i just use Optimum Car Wash.

If you Agitate P&S Brake Buster is good. Their are better cleaners.....but again if using brushes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducksfan
11-08-2020, 01:06 PM
P21s Total Auto Wash will clean much better than any regular car wash. Kick it with some apc (Optimum, Duragloss Ultimate Orange, maybe up to 10 percent pure limonene) and it becomes even stronger.

That's how I do it if they don't need wheel cleaner.

mc2hill
11-09-2020, 10:42 AM
I clean non-maintained wheels and tires with dedicated products. For maintained wheels I use a car wash soap with SiO2 premixed in a bottle with a foaming sprayer, but no wheel 'bucket'. As others have said, the brushes do most of the work, and I have several - a 'soft' wheel brush, several round 'lug nut' type brushes, and a full set of Wheel Woolies (even the 45 degree one) to get the wheel faces clean.

Azure
11-09-2020, 01:11 PM
I use P&S Brake Buster on my wheels and tires. Seems to work well with cars that don't see the winter or are washed every couple weeks and I really like using one product rather than two. With tires that get really cruddy, I love Adam's Rubber & Tire. I use this on my wheel wells too. It's worth having on your shelf just for the work it does on tires IMO.

UncleDavy
11-09-2020, 09:13 PM
It depends on the condition of the wheels. Plain car soap will work well if you are looking to remove some basic road grime and it will be easier if your wheels are coated. If the wheels are covered in heavier grime or brake dust, then you will need a heavier, dedicated wheel cleaner like Sonax or Griots heavy duty wheel cleaner along with a Speed Master wheel brush.