PDA

View Full Version : opinions/suggestions wanted, can't decide

Pages : [1] 2

WEST SIDE
11-05-2020, 12:01 AM
Getting my wife a 2021 Lexus RX 450H in atomic silver shortly to replace her 2011. I have always detailed our own vehicles and can't decide if I should use what I have or get into the coatings. I have used and liked the following products.
WGDGPS 3.0
Duragloss 601/105
Klasse twins
Collinite 845/476

She has good washing/drying techniques except for wheel wells and lower rockers which I do if I'm helping and I can't get her to stop washing in the sun!
Salt,sun, bird droppings etc. are always a constant. Car will be low mileage, garage kept. I stay on the occasional spray wax topper, usually Optimum once in awhile.
I don't have a lot of time for detailing but I do pretty well on maintenance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Coatingsarecrack
11-05-2020, 12:39 AM
I would definitely say coating with all the environmental things you run into. Nakes the car easier to clean than waxes or sealants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
11-05-2020, 06:34 AM
Maybe give graphene a shot for a change of pace and something current[emoji848] I mean the application is pretty much the same and durability is right there, not to mention the spray versions (303 graphene) have up to 1 year durability, especially in this vehicles case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WEST SIDE
11-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Maybe give graphene a shot for a change of pace and something current[emoji848] I mean the application is pretty much the same and durability is right there, not to mention the spray versions (303 graphene) have up to 1 year durability, especially in this vehicles case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yea it's been awhile since I purchased anything new since I over did it when I first got into it.

Desertnate
11-05-2020, 04:29 PM
I don't have a lot of time for detailing but I do pretty well on maintenance.

This right here, tells me you're ready for a coating if you're willing to invest the time to learn the application process. It isn't hard, but your first application might go a little slower. The beauty of coatings is many will last for years, so instead of doing a full detail every six months with a sealant, you can go years between doing full detailing with a coating. I'd recommend not going any more than two years. Once it's on, all you have to do is keep the car clean and the coating actually makes the washing and drying process easier/faster too!

Each time I've changed my detailing approach it was due to lack of time. I started off with waxes, but got sick of having to re-apply them every 2~4 months, so I moved up to sealants which would last me six. The next step was coatings which stretches out the interval to two years. I now have more time for detailing, but I've been so spoiled by coatings I'm not sure I'll ever go back to any less durable type of product.

DUBL0WS6
11-05-2020, 04:43 PM
No learning curve with Wolfgang Spray Ceramic Coating.

Larry A
11-05-2020, 05:24 PM
i would start with claying then use the 601 and 105 . after the first wash i would put on a coat of 476. you should be good to go.

WEST SIDE
11-06-2020, 12:30 AM
Each time I've changed my detailing approach it was due to lack of time. I started off with waxes, but got sick of having to re-apply them every 2~4 months, so I moved up to sealants which would last me six. The next step was coatings which stretches out the interval to two years. I now have more time for detailing, but I've been so spoiled by coatings I'm not sure I'll ever go back to any less durable type of product.[/QUOTE]

I get that! I have a Griots G6 and several compounds/polishes that really cleaned up my vehicles. I don't mind the occasional wax job but again with multiple vehicles it's time consuming.
I have so many waxes/sealants now but maybe a good coating will free me up
Thanks

WEST SIDE
11-06-2020, 12:33 AM
i would start with claying then use the 601 and 105 . after the first wash i would put on a coat of 476. you should be good to go.

I've done this on my jeep that's outside 24/7 and gets neglected but with that combo it cleans up easily.

WEST SIDE
11-06-2020, 12:46 AM
CarPro Cquartz UK Edition 3.0 50 ml.
Can't be shipped to Hawaii.
I may have to stick with sealant/wax?

The Guz
11-06-2020, 01:54 AM
CarPro Cquartz UK Edition 3.0 50 ml.
Can't be shipped to Hawaii.
I may have to stick with sealant/wax?

Can't be shipped by who? Autogeek? Contact Corey of CarPro US. It looks like they ship to the Hawaii.

Desertnate
11-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Is that an AutoGeek restriction? Not sure why it can't be shipped to Hawaii. It isn't like it's a aerosol can or other type of product which could explode in the cargo hold of a plane. I wonder if other places would ship it to you.

You won't need the 50mL bottle unless you're going to do multiple vehicles. I've easily done an average size car (BMW 3-series) with half a 30mL bottle and was able to do 1x Jaguar F-Pace AND a Porsche Cayenne with 50mL bottle with about 25% of the bottle left over. Granted this is all with 1 coat on those vehicles. I never do multiple coats.

hamajang
11-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Is that an AutoGeek restriction? Not sure why it can't be shipped to Hawaii. It isn't like it's a aerosol can or other type of product which could explode in the cargo hold of a plane. I wonder if other places would ship it to you.

It has something to do with the flammability of the product. There are a lot of things that don't ship to Hawaii, so we need to find other avenues to get certain items.

WEST SIDE
11-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Can't be shipped by who? Autogeek? Contact Corey of CarPro US. It looks like they ship to the Hawaii.

Yes Autogeek, I had it in my cart and this popped up https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/warning.gif Federal regulations prohibit the shipment of this products by air, UPS 3 Day, UPS 2, or US Mail. This item is shipped by UPS Ground only. Sorry but no APO or FPO addresses.

WEST SIDE
11-06-2020, 02:00 PM

You won't need the 50mL bottle unless you're going to do multiple vehicles. I've easily done an average size car (BMW 3-series) with half a 30mL bottle and was able to do 1x Jaguar F-Pace AND a Porsche Cayenne with 50mL bottle with about 25% of the bottle left over. Granted this is all with 1 coat on those vehicles. I never do multiple coats.

#30mL, thanks that was my next question