PDA

View Full Version : Help! What am I doing wrong?

jazzwalker
11-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Hello all!

I’m new to the detailing world this year and just do it for fun on my own cars. Lately I’m noticing yellow stains on my wheels. It’s on my expedition and my wife’s pilot. So it’s something that I’m causing. I wash the wheels with super clean 5:1. I rinse, spray on the cleaner, agitate the wheels with a soft brush and use a stiffer brush for the tires and then rinse off.

So, what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thank you for any help!

hoyt66
11-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Sounds right. Are you sure this is a result of your process? Maybe something you and your wife are driving up against or you are rubbing something against both vehicles. I recently noticed green transfer on my wifes white fusion and then again on the steps of my f150. Figured out it was from my wash buck. Being careless as I rolled them around the cars.

jazzwalker
11-02-2020, 12:01 PM
Sounds right. Are you sure this is a result of your process? Maybe something you and your wife are driving up against or you are rubbing something against both vehicles. I recently noticed green transfer on my wifes white fusion and then again on the steps of my f150. Figured out it was from my wash buck. Being careless as I rolled them around the cars.

Since it's on both vehicles I'm assuming it's me. I've always used the swirl o matics to clean my cars in the past and I've never seen it before.

2black1s
11-02-2020, 12:22 PM
I would suspect whatever cleaner you are using to be the culprit. It's probably staining the clear-coat.

The fix... try a polish to see if it will remove the stains. If not, then you're probably SOL. Time may fade the staining but other than waiting I don't know what you could do.

In the meantime, I would change the cleaner. Personally, I just use my normal car wash solution for general cleaning of the wheels. Wheel cleaners only when that doesn't work.

oneheadlite
11-02-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm with Hoyt - from the looks of it from the picture it looks like something rubbed onto the wheel. If it were a chemical issue, you'd think it would be more widespread.

Any chance your brush handle hits or maybe has a "bumper" on it that's marking? I had a carpet brush once with red bumpers that would leave streaks if they rubbed on anything (like tennis shoe marks on a gym floor) - pulled those things off soon as I figured that out.

On a side note - have you thought of using a LSP on your wheels after they're clean? Helps cut down on brake dust sticking/staining and makes it so you don't have to go right to aggressive cleaners. Otherwise you're essentially leaving your wheels stripped and prime for brake dust to bond to them.

jazzwalker
11-02-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm with Hoyt - from the looks of it from the picture it looks like something rubbed onto the wheel. If it were a chemical issue, you'd think it would be more widespread.

Any chance your brush handle hits or maybe has a "bumper" on it that's marking? I had a carpet brush once with red bumpers that would leave streaks if they rubbed on anything (like tennis shoe marks on a gym floor) - pulled those things off soon as I figured that out.

On a side note - have you thought of using a LSP on your wheels after they're clean? Helps cut down on brake dust sticking/staining and makes it so you don't have to go right to aggressive cleaners. Otherwise you're essentially leaving your wheels stripped and prime for brake dust to bond to them.

That could be possible. I use chemical guys brushes so I went out and beat the wheels with them a little. Besides my neighbor lady now convinced I'm crazy...nothing. The only thing I can guess with my wash process is maybe the pressure washer hose rubs it yellow? I'll try that next.

Thanks 2black1s. I did try and rub it out with a microfiber towel and some rinseless wash. That didn't work. Then tried an applicator pad with some hybrid solutions ceramic polish. That started clearing it up. A LOT of work and a blister to get one piece cleared. Almost went for the steel wool but I talked myself down. I'm thinking with my DA that should buff out.

And yes, I've started using Gyeon Wet Coat. That doesn't have to be applied every maintenance wash does it?

Thank you for your help!

VISITOR
11-02-2020, 06:29 PM
try using a microfiber towel with some tar remover and slowly rub away. can't guarantee it will work but it's worth a try. i used some tarminator along with a microfiber towel to remove the red painted dots on some new tires with success..

Dr Oldz
11-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Since it's on both vehicles I'm assuming it's me. I've always used the swirl o matics to clean my cars in the past and I've never seen it before.
The swirl o matics are the culprit. It’s transfer from the guides as you drive in.

Try some polish to see if it can be removed.