PDA

View Full Version : Car had mold on seats and dash after in garage 3.5 years

PeteT19640
11-02-2020, 03:14 AM
Hi as title says
The car seats are leather.
Also the dash got extra cracks on dash.

I have had cars in the same garage with no leather seats, and were ok.
Does leather attract moisture?
Would it be best to get a ceramic coating for the leather and dash?

Thanks in advance

rlmccarty2000
11-02-2020, 05:52 AM
Just clean the mold with a good interior cleaner like Nextzett Interior Cleaner, then roll down the windows and park in the sun for a few days to dry out the interior. Before storing again buy some desiccant packages (Amazon sells them) and put a few in the car. These will absorb any future moisture and slow the growth of mold. You may have mold under the carpets and in the seats, mold grows everywhere. Make sure you use a K95 mask when cleaning up the mold as your lungs don’t like the stuff. I doubt a ceramic coating will have much impact on mold growth. Good luck.

Desertnate
11-02-2020, 08:30 AM
You may have mold under the carpets and in the seats, mold grows everywhere.

This would be my biggest fear...the mold you don't see. The stuff on the surface can be seen an removed, but there could be more growing in the foam of the seat cushions or even the HVAC vent ducts.

Mike Phillips
11-03-2020, 08:46 AM
Does leather attract moisture?

I don't think it attracts moisture more than any other surface. I could be wrong but in my entire life I've never read any information that supports this idea.

Would it be best to get a ceramic coating for the leather and dash?

I think the first thing you should do is figure out how to avoid moisture in the car.

Look into a product called,

Damprid

:)

DUBL0WS6
11-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Pick up some Damp Rid from Walmart and put in the car.

PeteT19640
11-06-2020, 02:31 AM
Thanks
Car sitting in carport currently.
After cleaning with Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and the Dash with Gold Class Vinyl Wipes I found that it was like a white powder, the dash (top) was covered in it like a film. It seemed to come of easier than I thought, though not so much the dash, does this make sense.

I wonder if it is because of the garage separate from house the moisture?

Thanks again

TonesGTO
11-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Thanks
Car sitting in carport currently.
After cleaning with Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and the Dash with Gold Class Vinyl Wipes I found that it was like a white powder, the dash (top) was covered in it like a film. It seemed to come of easier than I thought, though not so much the dash, does this make sense.

I wonder if it is because of the garage separate from house the moisture?

Thanks again

Good chance thats mold, I sometimes get a similar thing on the seats if the car sits in the shop for more then 2 weeks or so.