PDA

View Full Version : What Level Of Finish Can I Get With the LC Orange CCS Light Cutting Pads And BF One Step

Pages : [1] 2

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Coming up soon I will be performing a one step polish package on my good friend's Black Chevrolet Suburban. Of course I won't know for certain until I can perform a test spot, but I strongly suspect that I may need to resort to my light cutting pads and BF One step as the paint looks pretty swirled out to me. I'll post some pics up here soon.

My question is, do you think I'll need to follow up with a polishing pad or will this combo finish out nicely without the need for follow up steps? The orange CCS pads have a cut level of 6 and a finish level of 6.

Perhaps if I roll with this combo I can use lighter pressure and finish out a little nicer?

Rsurfer
11-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Good luck Jacob. It's a Suburban (lots of real estate) and BLACK.

FUNX650
11-01-2020, 02:05 PM
•I personally don’t ever plan to follow-up a
one-step/AIO with any other polishing step(s).
-That would be, IMO, “working backwards”.

-However, as we all know to be true: “the best
laid plans of mice and men often go awry”.

•Stay in good cheer...
-A “Test Spot” will tell the tale-of-the-tape.

Bob

john b
11-01-2020, 02:43 PM
what machine are you going to use?

DUBL0WS6
11-01-2020, 02:45 PM
An orange pad with an AIO will produce an acceptable finish on most paints but a softer pad will produce a slightly better finish.

TTQ B4U
11-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Coming up soon I will be performing a one step polish package on my good friend's Black Chevrolet Suburban. Of course I won't know for certain until I can perform a test spot, but I strongly suspect that I may need to resort to my light cutting pads and BF One step as the paint looks pretty swirled out to me. I'll post some pics up here soon.

My question is, do you think I'll need to follow up with a polishing pad or will this combo finish out nicely without the need for follow up steps? The orange CCS pads have a cut level of 6 and a finish level of 6.

Perhaps if I roll with this combo I can use lighter pressure and finish out a little nicer?

What DA are you using? Forced Oscillation or is it a regular DA? The former will be easier and likely yield better correction quicker as you can apply more pressure but the latter will work so long as you focus on keeping the pad spinning. Anyway, you can probably get 50% correction pretty easily which on a daily driver SUV like that should be solid. The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium. It will finish out great with those pads. Just change them out every other panel or more depending on how bad it is.

Jayfro
11-01-2020, 03:06 PM
I’ve used BF One Step with LC Orange pads on my black Acura TLX and had great success with no need to follow up with anything else, keep in mind Acura’s/Honda’s have fairly soft paint.

I’ve also used it on my wife’s white X3 and had very good success but not as good as the Acura since the X3 has harder paint.

Last year I did my buddies black Audi S4, I did a test spot with BF One Step and Pinnacle Compound and Polish, Pinnacle cut just slightly better so I used it...and I kicked myself in the @ss after about 8-10 hours into it (compound and polish)...I should’ve used BF One Step!!!

Good luck
Jay

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201101/4c73d9551f4ee5adc174d8c6ebacae1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 04:37 PM
What DA are you using? Forced Oscillation or is it a regular DA? The former will be easier and likely yield better correction quicker as you can apply more pressure but the latter will work so long as you focus on keeping the pad spinning. Anyway, you can probably get 50% correction pretty easily which on a daily driver SUV like that should be solid. The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium. It will finish out great with those pads. Just change them out every other panel or more depending on how bad it is.

Ok, So I won't be using a forced rotation tool like the Flex BEAST, or SUPA BEAST. The day I FINALLY have one will be a GLORIOUS DAY!!!

Seriously my birthday is coming up! ha ha ha!!!

Any ways I have a non AG free spinning battery operated DA. It's actually been pretty good to me thus far and I have the Flex PiXiE as well.

The paint isn't soft but rather the harder side of medium.

Okie dokie. Also I have 12 of the LC CCS Orange pads so changing out often shouldn't be a problem. I don't have that many for the Flex, I think 4 or 5 but I plan on stopping mid way through and cleaning pads and throwing them on the pad dryer.

Just out of curiosity what do you do when you accidentally drop a pad on the floor. I dropped two last time I polished a Lexus and I regretfully just threw them away as I could see that the face of the pads were totally embedded with contaminants. :(

Dr Oldz
11-01-2020, 09:43 PM
A few comments:

A one step is just that. A ONE STEP! You don’t follow up a one step. If you do it’s more money and called a multi step.

You can get generalizations of what pad may work on the forum but really a TEST SPOT is needed.

I find that sometimes an orange pad may leave micro marring behind. Other times they finish acceptable. Again let the test spot be your guide, not the forums!

When doing a one step, choose the abrasive, pad and machine that remove the most swirls while still leaving behind high gloss. A one step customer will care more about gloss than swirls. Yes a one step will/may leave some swirls remaining. If the customer wants them removed, they must pay for a 2 step.

Honestly a Suburban is a lot of area as mentioned above. I don’t care what brand cordless you have, it’s going to be a chore with that type of tool. It’s worth the money for the Beast just for the time you will save on this job alone. Sounds like you get enough work to justify buying it. You will be blown away with the speed and results when you get it!

Lastly, Good luck!

JT Moto
11-01-2020, 10:07 PM
I one stepped a straight black Tahoe with BF one step and orange hybrid pads with a 3401 and it worked as designed. It didn’t make the car a show car, but took out a lot of swirls and left a nice gloss. I was afraid to go with the orange pad, but my test spot showed me it was the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 10:34 PM
Good luck Jacob. It's a Suburban (lots of real estate) and BLACK.

Well, it will be some hard work but I'm looking forward to making it shine! This lady is one of my biggest supporters so I'm really looking forward to getting her taken care of!

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 10:38 PM
•I personally don’t ever plan to follow-up a
one-step/AIO with any other polishing step(s).
-That would be, IMO, “working backwards”.

-However, as we all know to be true: “the best
laid plans of mice and men often go awry”.

•Stay in good cheer...
-A “Test Spot” will tell the tale-of-the-tape.

Bob

I hear you on that. I don't want to be working backwards. Well we'll see how the test spot goes. Probably surprising. BF One Step is always surprising me!

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 10:39 PM
what machine are you going to use?

A non AG 5.5 inch battery powered free spinning DA

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 10:42 PM
I’ve used BF One Step with LC Orange pads on my black Acura TLX and had great success with no need to follow up with anything else, keep in mind Acura’s/Honda’s have fairly soft paint.

I’ve also used it on my wife’s white X3 and had very good success but not as good as the Acura since the X3 has harder paint.

Last year I did my buddies black Audi S4, I did a test spot with BF One Step and Pinnacle Compound and Polish, Pinnacle cut just slightly better so I used it...and I kicked myself in the @ss after about 8-10 hours into it (compound and polish)...I should’ve used BF One Step!!!

Good luck
Jay

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201101/4c73d9551f4ee5adc174d8c6ebacae1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us! How many hours did you spend total on the S4?

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
11-01-2020, 10:59 PM
A few comments:

A one step is just that. A ONE STEP! You don’t follow up a one step. If you do it’s more money and called a multi step.

You can get generalizations of what pad may work on the forum but really a TEST SPOT is needed.

Roger that. I'll start off with a test spot then and roll with the combo that yields the best results while keeping it only one step.

I find that sometimes an orange pad may leave micro marring behind. Other times they finish acceptable. Again let the test spot be your guide, not the forums!

Okie dokie, and thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

When doing a one step, choose the abrasive, pad and machine that remove the most swirls while still leaving behind high gloss. A one step customer will care more about gloss than swirls. Yes a one step will/may leave some swirls remaining. If the customer wants them removed, they must pay for a 2 step.

Thank you for the golden nuggets of information! It is much appreciated!!!

Honestly a Suburban is a lot of area as mentioned above. I don’t care what brand cordless you have, it’s going to be a chore with that type of tool. It’s worth the money for the Beast just for the time you will save on this job alone. Sounds like you get enough work to justify buying it. You will be blown away with the speed and results when you get it!

Lastly, Good luck!

Yea, I'm kicking myself over here every time I polish out a vehicle because I didn't get The BEAST first! At any rate at least I started with some form of free spinning DA. I plan to get a couple of Griot's DA polishers as well. I don't know when I'll be able to buy another polisher again but mark my words when I do it will be The BEAST, CBEAST, or SUPA BEAST!

Thank you brother!