PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question?

Pages : [1] 2

sirwaxalot
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I have ordered alot of different products and started getting great results with a pc getting rid of those unwanted swirls. The problem is that after the swirls are gone I ask myself what to top it with so I started doing side by sides and panels camapring DG 105, collinite 845, SSII, LS and even some spray waxes and I can't tell a difference. I have done variouse pannels with different things side by side using a cleaner to remove any old wax, then I tape off a line and apply waxes side by side with different new applicators and wipe off with different clean mf towels. I can't see much of a difference at all aside from the way the products feal and wipe on and off so my question is, is there really much of a difference in looks? Or does preperation and polishing have the most determination on the final look of the paint? I enjoy waxing and like to try new things but I am just wondering if there is really much difference in looks in all these products or is it really not noticeable untill a whole car is done and one can step back and enjoy the results?

let me know what you think or if I am doing something wrond in my testing?
thanks guys

budman3
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Prep work has a lot to do with the final look of the paint. Without polishing the best wax or sealant will not look good. A nicely polished vehicle will look good with $5 turtle wax or $2000 wax. That being said, having a nicely polished vehicle applying a quality sealant will look the best. All LSPs have different looks to them ... some are very reflective, some are very clear and make flakes pop, others are glossy, and some give the vehicle the infamous carnauba glow.

sirwaxalot
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
It is very hard to tell a difference at all unless maybe I need to do a larger area. i have researched alot and read about what products should do and even with that information I am having a hard time seeing much of a difference at all.

cwcad
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Your dilema is the same as mine. Which one do you choose? I went thru a lot of products before I came to my choice of products.

You are going in the right direction. When you find the combination that you like you will know the look. At least I did.

Budman said it best... the best looking cars are properly prepped. So keep working with your PC and get the prep down. Most LSP's last 4 to 6 weeks. Some last longer. Just find the look that satisfies you.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Having a properly prepped surface has alot to do with your final results. Have you tried looking at the above lsp's you have in direct sunlight? Also putting a sealant as your lsp is not the best it is only personal preference.

sirwaxalot
04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Don't get me wrong I like the look of all of them, I just can't seem to see the warm glow as apposed to the look of a sealant. On here people talk about seeing these differences and I gues maby i'm looking for something that isn't going to be a huge difference. We haven't had alot of sunlight lately its been partly cloudy but I have tried. I also got out the halogen lights which didn't help much. My reflections all seem to be about the same. I guess I'll just keep trying different things untill I can find a noticable difference. I was just hoping to see a noticable gain or difference between the different products in order to determine what I like best.

budman3
04-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree that it is very hard to distinguish any differences on a small scale. Using it on a whole vehicle is easier to tell the differences. Also, the lighting plays a big role as well.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I think your best bet is to look at your different lsp in sunlight.

94LT1
04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
sorry what does LSP refer to?

ScottB
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
sorry what does LSP refer to?

LSP - Last Stage Protection = wax or paint sealant

sirwaxalot
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
alight guys, thx for all the hints. I think I'll just keep trying different things untill I find that perect look. I think maybe I need to do the whole car and take a look in the sun and then in a week or so I'll try with something else. For now I guess I'll just fill my cart with fun stuff and wait untill the sun comes out.

thanks again guys

94LT1
04-03-2008, 07:12 PM
LSP - Last Stage Protection = wax or paint sealant

thanks....the more i read the more i have to ask questions and expose my noobness....:(

pt91
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I have found that certain colors show off the sometimes subtle differences in LSP at different levels. I have a hard time seeing differences in light colors and silvers. Darker colors, red, etc are easier backgrounds and tend to amplify the LSP "filter" more. Metallic or solid also tends to be a factor.
What color is your vehicle?

sirwaxalot
04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Its a blue toyota camry (not mine lol, mine is white and I knew it would be bad for testing) not too dark but sparkly, almost a blue green.

MadOzodi
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
thanks....the more i read the more i have to ask questions and expose my noobness....:(

I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have any questions to ask after more reading. There are still a bunch of acronyms that make me scratch my head.