PDA

View Full Version : What key features would you like to see in a new tire dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
10-29-2020, 08:58 AM
What key features would you like to see in a new tire dressing?

Making tires look good is a huge part of the finishing steps to any detail. It's a Test Question on the IDA Skills Validation test.

Mind you - we're not talking about tire COATINGS - but traditional and/or conventional tire dressings. For example, Armor-Al is considered a traditional Tire Dressing.

What say you?

:)

Bill D
10-29-2020, 09:14 AM
To last long of course, certainly through a few rains and up to a month or more would be nice.

They also shouldn't sling, be dry to the touch, and resist dirt

They should be easy to apply: either simple spray on and walk away or easily applied with an applicator or brush

The degree of shine should be easily controlled according to the amount applied

A value size amount should be offered per bottle. Too small a bottle isn't practical and expensive. Gallon sizes of dressings are attractive

Price must be reasonable by the smaller size bottle and the gallon

PA DETAILER
10-29-2020, 09:37 AM
I don't thing anything will top DURAGLOSS #253. But key areas are....

1. NO SLING OFF
2. When applied, leaves a uniform look.
3. Water based.
4. Lasts a decent amount of time before applying again.

Klasse Act
10-29-2020, 09:46 AM
TW Endura tire coating...make it exactly like that[emoji351][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FUNX650
10-29-2020, 09:58 AM
TW Endura tire coating...
make it exactly like that

Here’s a “template”;
should be Eazy-Peazy. :D

Patent History

•Patent number: 9546295
•Type: Grant
•Filed: Dec 19, 2014
•Date of Patent: Jan 17, 2017
•Patent Publication Number: 2 016017712 1
•Assignee: Turtle Wax, Inc. (Addison, IL)
•Inventors: Rodel C. Laviste (Chicago, IL),
Daren Kord Herbert (Naperville, IL)
•Primary Examiner: Brieann R Fink
•Application Number: 14/577,081

Classifications:
•Current U.S. Class:
Wax, Bituminous Material Or
Tarry Residue Containing (106/10)

•International Classification:
C09D 125/14 (20060101); C09D 5/02 (20060101);
C09D 5/14 (20060101); C08K 5/00 (20060101)

Bob

Mike Phillips
10-29-2020, 11:12 AM
Interesting comments.

Just to note, to my knowledge Andre and team are not working on anything.

I was simply thinking about this product category and wanted to see what other's think.

I used the Griot's High Gloss Dressing on the Chevy truck I detailed last weekend and I thought it worked great EXCEPT - I always WIPE the tire sidewalls down with a scrap rag after application to remove any excess and thus prevent any dressing sling.

Wiping the tire sidewall also reduced the gloss.

And then I thought,

I'm happy that I won't see any dressing sling, but I ruined the high gloss I was looking for.

So started this thread.

Jayfro
10-29-2020, 02:00 PM
1. Controllable shine...1 coat is good, 2 coats is shinier, 3 coats looks wet, etc...
2. No sling
3. Dry to the touch or as dry as possible
4. Longevity
5. If it's water based, a little more water resistant than normal.
6. Good Value
7. Easy to apply
8. No sling...again!

I've only used a handful from Giots, Megs, DP, WG, BF, Opt, and a couple of others that I cant remember now.

My favorite right now is DP Tire Gloss Gel, it has all of the above characteristics except one, you drive in the rain and it's toast! Odd thing is that when washing the car, you do lose a bit but not like driving in the rain.

Just my .02!

JF

Farmallluvr
10-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Fairly durable,no sling with a matte finish that isn't sticky

Desertnate
10-29-2020, 03:06 PM
Looking over all the great input provided already I think my priorities are similar to many here.

- Durability: Nothing amazing, but it should hold up to getting wet and last at least a few weeks in dry conditions. Many fall flat when they get wet.
- Not be sticky and attract grime
- A dark satin to matte finish. I like my paint shiny, but not my tires.

Really, something like Duragloss 253. The only product I've every used which will stand up to rain. Some come off with just a heavy morning dew!

IH8SPM
10-29-2020, 03:39 PM
A product that when applied gives you all the great properties previously mentioned and does not require any mechanical or chemical to strip it.

I believe it was mentioned but it should be able to be a topper to itself.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
10-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Maybe the powers that be should reach out to Black Pearl[emoji362] They have Gloss and Matte, black tinted and clear....done[emoji848][emoji457][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
10-29-2020, 06:09 PM
What key features would you like to see in a new tire dressing?

Making tires look good is a huge part of the finishing steps to any detail. It's a Test Question on the IDA Skills Validation test.

Mind you - we're not talking about tire COATINGS - but traditional and/or conventional tire dressings. For example, Armor-Al is considered a traditional Tire Dressing.

What say you?

I am totally addicted to the PBL Tire Clear Coat. I would say my first criteria would have to be that the dressing be from the Pinnacle Black Label Line.

The second criteria would be that it has to condition the tire and keep it from turning brown, and another would be that it would be long lasting, and easy to remove.

You could re fortify it the tire dressing during your regular maintenance schedule. For example you could just wash the tire with a soft brush and then re apply the dressing leaving the tire clean and re fortified and protected.

Perhaps a tire dressing that would be engineered so that you could remove it and apply a tire coating!

I'd say it has to dry to the touch and have some type of SiO2 compnent as well and if possible using the previously mentioned criteria.

In my opinion the shine and appearance should achieve the look of the PBL Tire Clear Coat. I just really love that look!

Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN
10-29-2020, 06:15 PM
I think one really good idea could be a tire coating booster. A product that gently cleans the tire and the tire coating while boosting and strengthening it.

Dr Oldz
10-29-2020, 06:24 PM
In order of importance for me:

1: Water based. It must be water based. Sick of solvent based messy goopy products thru the years. Plush clean up is easy if you get it on a rim or need to clean an applicator.

2: A deep rich black look. I want a dressing to really turn the tires black.

3: A satin look. I don’t like glossy tires. I feel it takes the eye away from the paint I just spent hours polishing! It should compliment the paint not outshine it!

4: Dry to the touch.

PaulMys
10-29-2020, 06:30 PM
In order of importance for me:

1: Water based. It must be water based. Sick of solvent based messy goopy products thru the years. Plush clean up is easy if you get it on a rim or need to clean an applicator.

2: A deep rich black look. I want a dressing to really turn the tires black.

3: A satin look. I don’t like glossy tires. I feel it takes the eye away from the paint I just spent hours polishing! It should compliment the paint not outshine it!

4: Dry to the touch.

^^^What Jim said^^^