PDA

View Full Version : Should I clay before winter or after?

Pages : [1] 2

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-27-2020, 10:59 AM
Hey so summer is over and I was thinking of refreshing my Powerlock+ before winter. Now I'm wondering if I should just apply a new coat without decontaminating the paint or I should IronX and clay.

The reason I ask is because I always read some threads where people say clay as much as you want it won't marr and other threads that say clay does marr. If it wouldn't marr I definitely would since it would help make the product last longer.

Or maybe I should look at those synthetic clays, do those marr less?

hoyt66
10-27-2020, 11:05 AM
I clay every time I use an lsp. Even if I do not polish. Fine clay and lot's of lube. I have a bright silver, white, and magnetic grey color too. That helps my approach

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-27-2020, 11:09 AM
I clay every time I use an lsp. Even if I do not polish. Fine clay and lot's of lube. I have a bright silver, white, and magnetic grey color too. That helps my approach

I was thinking of getting the Mother speed clay thingy since I'm all out of clay atm and figured synthetic might be a good update?

oneheadlite
10-27-2020, 11:18 AM
You could just start with a chemical decontamination and do the baggie check and see how it's doing.

If it fails the baggie test, then I'd probably clay before reapplying to try and have the smoothest surface possible to help keep stuff from sticking (as much as possible) through the winter. Then just plan on polishing in the spring so you're primo for the nice months next year.

I feel that standard clay stands the best chance to be mar free, but maybe the synthetics are fine with enough lube/light pressure.

The synthetic clay is convenient for sure, but I don't know that it's "safer".

FUNX650
10-27-2020, 11:22 AM
IMO:
Only if the results from performing
“The Baggie Test” provides tangible
justification for Claying at this time.

Bob

IH8SPM
10-27-2020, 11:38 AM
IMO:
Only if the results from performing
“The Baggie Test” provides tangible
justification for Claying at this time.

BobIs this from Mike's book? [emoji23] This is solid advice all jokes aside and I'm finding myself practicing that and if ain't broke don't fix it approach with a slight variation.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-27-2020, 11:50 AM
You could just start with a chemical decontamination and do the baggie check and see how it's doing.

If it fails the baggie test, then I'd probably clay before reapplying to try and have the smoothest surface possible to help keep stuff from sticking (as much as possible) through the winter. Then just plan on polishing in the spring so you're primo for the nice months next year.

I feel that standard clay stands the best chance to be mar free, but maybe the synthetics are fine with enough lube/light pressure.

The synthetic clay is convenient for sure, but I don't know that it's "safer".

Oh okay, I thought it was safer.

Regarding if I need to, that was my other point of view. Since it was protected all summer shouldn't have much on it but then again I guess it depends and the test will tell me. I never did the baggie test, just did with my fingers.

Klasse Act
10-27-2020, 12:05 PM
I say before and after, clean as you go[emoji362][emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mike Hoekstra
10-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Personally, being proactive is better. Clay and decon before winter flies is my ritual and then again in the spring. Less contamination on the paint means less anchor points for new contamination to grab on to, and makes it easier in the spring.

hoyt66
10-28-2020, 11:00 AM
Personally, being proactive is better. Clay and decon before winter flies is my ritual and then again in the spring. Less contamination on the paint means less anchor points for new contamination to grab on to, and makes it easier in the spring.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Ok I'll definitely clay, which clay should I get or synthetic? I'm about to buy the mothers speed clay, if there isn't anyone advising against it I'll cop it.

FUNX650
10-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Ok I'll definitely clay...

•Are you going to polish afterwards?
-(Using something like Meguiar’s M205;
Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish; or, one of
similar mildness-of-abrasives?)

Bob

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-28-2020, 12:28 PM
•Are you going to polish afterwards?
-(Using something like Meguiar’s M205;
Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish; or, one of
similar mildness-of-abrasives?)

Bob

No I sold my cheap DA after I had corrected my paint beginning of summer. So it's why I'm looking for a clay that's goanna marr the less.

57Rambler
10-28-2020, 07:09 PM
No I sold my cheap DA after I had corrected my paint beginning of summer. So it's why I'm looking for a clay that's goanna marr the less.

Well then, since you're doing a sealant and not a coating, I think I would skip the clay for now and do it in the spring. After winter you may have some (additional) correcting in the spring, so I would plan for a clay and polish then before applying your spring/summer LSP.

TheMidnightNarwhal
10-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Well then, since you're doing a sealant and not a coating, I think I would skip the clay for now and do it in the spring. After winter you may have some (additional) correcting in the spring, so I would plan for a clay and polish then before applying your spring/summer LSP.

I don't I'll do a polish until I move out into my own place where I can use the garage year round. At the moment I can spot some swirls in certain lightning but not a whole lot, still looks real good and glossy when it's cleaned.

So yeah not sure. I think I'll do speed clay for the fun of it and experience. Just got a new hood painted to and I can do some testing and when I eventually move out I'll get a griot polisher.