PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Motor City!

JT Moto
10-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Figured I’d say hi after lurking for a while.

I am a dealership guy and in rapidly moving negotiations to get a decent detail department going. It only took 12 years of trying to finally get some headway.

I started my paint correction journey in Saleen mustangs back in 02 and have done it off and on ever since. I started to get passionate about it a year or so ago and now do quite a bit of sanding and correction for our body shop post paint and fixing as many new cars (because we all know how bad a car can be even if it only has 3 miles on it) as they will pay me for.

My flex 3401 was a game changer for me and I am getting ready to add a Pixie and either another Beast or a Supa beast to have as a back up.

I am currently researching the best way to spend my dollars once I get approval and we iron out a pay scale. I’m told we will have a decision by the end of the week.

anyways, I’m off to click around AG and find the best way to make my dollar stretch!

Jayfro
10-20-2020, 09:25 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Sizzle Chest
10-20-2020, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!

acuRAS82
10-21-2020, 03:39 AM
Welcome. Kudos for trying to get a program going at your dealership. You may be one in a million. Look forward to seeing you around!

JT Moto
10-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Welcome. Kudos for trying to get a program going at your dealership. You may be one in a million. Look forward to seeing you around!

Well after years of interiors being power washed, check engine lights, missing floor mats, using sealant with a wool pad on a rotary for literally every car... I can’t do any worse than what we have now.

I hope to be around a while, I am really into making this program jump so my fingers are crossed. Thanks for the support!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Thomkirby
10-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the forum and best of luck on the next venture. Expect to see and read your future posts!

hoyt66
10-21-2020, 10:55 AM
Welcome from Lake Orion, MI

boosteddub69
10-21-2020, 03:07 PM
Welcome!

The D is my old hometown, left a decade ago but it's still home.

John U
10-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Hi JT,

Good to hear of a person in the "back" who takes detailing seriously, but more importantly management too!!! I was in car sales many decades ago and the detail department was mostly non existant. They had a "lot kid" with a old sponge and long pole with a brush on the end of it.... sometimes they'd hire someone who took their job seriously but it was a high turnover rate and crap products to work with.

More then once I brought my own products in to "do over" a delivery on a Saturday morning that was left half done on Friday when the kid went home. I was too ashamed to try to pass it off to a customer.... I would not accept it myself.

JT Moto
10-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Hi JT,

Good to hear of a person in the "back" who takes detailing seriously, but more importantly management too!!! I was in car sales many decades ago and the detail department was mostly non existant. They had a "lot kid" with a old sponge and long pole with a brush on the end of it.... sometimes they'd hire someone who took their job seriously but it was a high turnover rate and crap products to work with.

More then once I brought my own products in to "do over" a delivery on a Saturday morning that was left half done on Friday when the kid went home. I was too ashamed to try to pass it off to a customer.... I would not accept it myself.

My sales manager is out with Covid... so my finance manager is in charge and he wants things done right. So today i was able to pretend we were a real detail shop and I can’t tell if my guys loved it or hated it. We put a gorgeous Camaro out that had almost a year of lot rot on it... the few people that saw it before and after didn’t realize that kind of work was possible [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
10-21-2020, 05:21 PM
Welcome to AGO, JT :)

I work for a dealer as well. I can't even look when the "detail" guys are touching a car. SMH.

Klasse Act
06-20-2021, 03:26 PM
Welcome to AG!

I'm originally from the D and which dealership do you work at[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JT Moto
06-20-2021, 03:45 PM
James Martin Chevrolet, things have been a bit nuts lately. The used car "detailer" has fallen far behind and the quality of his work has dropped. Ive had to step up and switch from pretty much only doing new car paint correction to used car reconditioning. Its a big change, but I am finally getting a process together. My fleet of Flex polishers have been life savers!

Kamakaz1961
06-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Welcome to AGO