PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone staying sane during well... 2020 ?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
10-18-2020, 08:32 PM
Left my paralegal job about 2 months ago due to anxiety and mental health, been doing some home improvment projects and bought a tool box after I cleaned up the basement and behind the fridge in the garage...yes, clean up behind your fridge, you would be surprised. Ive been getting into upgrading some pc hardware and might get a welder and teach myself as well.

Hope people have been okay and I have family that is okay for the most part but things have been depressing especially in the nyc area.

Hope the rest of the forum members are doing well.

PaulMys
10-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Great post, Bill.

Glad you are doing well in Gotham.

I'm holding my own out here on the East End of LI.

Farmallluvr
10-18-2020, 08:50 PM
Still kickin,,,was real happy to have my dealership job this year,,for some reason everyone in my area wanted their cars repaired or were buying new ones,,,,and used ones.

we went 1/2 staff and I did some technician work as well as used cars and some bodyshop work too,,good thing I'm kind of a Jack of all trades

Big Dave
10-18-2020, 09:01 PM
I've been unemployed since the end of March, we moved cities, 2 hours north of where I was. I've been watching the job market, but I'm being picky, I don't want to work for a big international again, I did that for 32 years. I don't want to work weekends, or late/early shifts. So I found 1 job I liked, but so did everyone else.

So I've been walking my dogs twice a day, watching Mythbusters ( I was really bummed when I heard about Grant), Top Gear, Motortrend TV. I've been tinkering in the garage. The important thing is to keep a routine going, my average step count is around 17000, so I'm keeping active. I go to the golf driving range once a week, it was allowed even during the lock down, they spread the mats apart.

And of course, detailing both the FJ and the Qashqai, I have thought about doing my brother's Mitsubishi.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bill1234
10-18-2020, 09:07 PM
prior neighbor was very lucky and met adam and jamie when mythbusters was still active

Jayfro
10-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Fortunately nothing has really changed for me other than stores, restaurants, etc being closed that we would normally go to for a while, and wearing masks.

I’ve been going to work everyday since the start of the pandemic (very blessed to say the least)...the only good part was traffic was very light but has been building for the last month or so...almost back to normal in the afternoons.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Bill1234
10-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Im wating for the craftsman tool plant in fort worth to open but covid is maybe pushing that back. So happy to see made in usa tools again from them

Craig Encinitas
10-18-2020, 09:31 PM
My sanity is subjective. I’m twenty months sober and miss attending in-person A.A. meetings. There’s plenty of them online, but it’s not the same.

I’ve been at my job twenty years this month, and it’s not the same either. Grateful to be employed, so I should shut my mouth before I complain.

Detailing cars keeps me calm. I’m definitely into hobbies that keep my brain active. So I binge daily on YouTube videos and read reviews on autos and detailing products. I probably buy too much stuff, but at least it’s for a good cause.

I surf as much as possible, and apparently so does everyone else now. The weather here in SoCal has been very warm and dry. So my cars get washed less often. Actually, it’s probably a good idea to practice a rinseless and waterless wash this week.

🧽 [emoji594] 🧼 [emoji592] [emoji98] [emoji93]

Bill1234
10-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Two friends were heavily into drugs and alcohol before getting and staying sober. Biggest things for them were to find hobbies that were not drugs and stick to them. This is also one of the topics im concerned about with the whole defund the police movement as I am from a CJ background. Multiple jail sentences dont help the issue but rather actual treatment and giving people the chance to correct themselves when and where needed. There are people that use meth and come back 23 times or more for an arrest. All those tax dollars could have been spent on rehab and treatment and getting the person out of the system and on to better things than an addiction. People might argue well that their fault. Well, look at our prison system, highest recidivism rate of any 1st world country !!!

John U
10-18-2020, 09:49 PM
I was fortunate to retire early 5 years ago so the work “thing”was already in my past. I live in two zip codes, one warm, one cold. Moving back and forth every 6 months keeps things fresh with new projects.
With restaurants being closed I’ve lost 25 lbs but eating healthy. Meeting friends in parks for picnics is the new norm here.
Garage therapy is on going!

DFB
10-19-2020, 04:00 AM
As the Pandemic crises escalated in Australia back in March, I was sent on enforced leave for 6 weeks. I am very much not the type of person to sit idle, so I just kept myself busy.

I run a small gardening business on the side, being a sole trader meant that I could continue to work by myself. I was able to spread jobs across the week as opposed to squeezing it all into two days. I made sure to take a longer than usual walk with my dog every day. I also took on several car detailing projects, some were my own cars and others via my gardening contacts. I also did some work for my father’s construction manufacturing firm, learning how to read and estimate building plans.

My main job is in a retail Nursery. As I returned to work, my industry was and still is one that has boomed during the Pandemic. Winter is usually our quietest months; this year Winter traded like Spring and Spring has been off the scale as people looked to gardening to stay active and engaged. Being so busy has been a tough for a person who likes to complete tasks in a calm and methodical manner and dealing with a constant stream of customers all day who may or may not be potentially exposing me to the virus. Management has not been very supportive during this time, leaving employees to fend for themselves, too busy to inform us or make sure we are doing ok.

I’m surprised by resilience this year, I adapted when required, diversifying my skills and refocusing my energy towards projects that would distract me from the anxiety and fear. But I’m also feeling fatigued and feel like there is no end in sight in regard to both the Pandemic and my workload, let alone the prospect of having some time off to regroup.

Big Dave
10-19-2020, 04:33 AM
I visited my old workplace last week, while the office staff come into the office once or twice a week, the warehouse guys have to show up every day, they were offered 9 day fortnights, but that got dropped when 1 of the 3 guys left. My role was Warehouse Supervisor, they replaced me with a team leader for less money, and they're expecting him to do more than I did. I told him as long as you keep doing it, they'll keep letting you. Management will always take advantage where they can. But on the plus side, he hasn't taken a sick day since I left.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

FUNX650
10-19-2020, 08:19 PM
•What’s your definition of “sane”?

-According to quite a few folks, I might not
have been considered “sane” before 2020;
let alone during 2020, for that matter.

:wowwow:

Bob

Odrapnew
10-21-2020, 04:11 PM
I was fortunate to retire early 5 years ago so the work “thing”was already in my past. I live in two zip codes, one warm, one cold. Moving back and forth every 6 months keeps things fresh with new projects.
With restaurants being closed I’ve lost 25 lbs but eating healthy. Meeting friends in parks for picnics is the new norm here.
Garage therapy is on going!

So, the big question, did you get to enjoy our early snow storm in MN yesterday, or are you enjoying the warm weather of AZ? :D
It really messed up my plans for vehicle storage this year. I'm supposed to bring my Mustang up to my in-laws place in Duluth this weekend, but they're in for a snow storm tomorrow. I'm not going to try to drive that car on snow covered roads again (with summer tires at least).

Staying sane has been difficult with 2 kids being home schooled this year.
My sanity comes from dinking around with vehicles. Mustang (repairs/mods/cleaning/driving it), Golf R (keeping it clean and some maintenance), Explorer (few repairs, cleaning, maintenance), Motorcycle (filling it with gas and riding to work).
I've been working from home since 2nd week in March. I've gone into the office about once a week starting around mid-July to get some work done, get away for a short amount of time and to rack up some miles on my vehicles.
I've put a lot of miles on Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2 for PS4 (with a newer FF steering wheel and pedals).

98CayenneTA
10-21-2020, 04:34 PM
So, the big question, did you get to enjoy our early snow storm in MN yesterday, or are you enjoying the warm weather of AZ? :D
It really messed up my plans for vehicle storage this year. I'm supposed to bring my Mustang up to my in-laws place in Duluth this weekend, but they're in for a snow storm tomorrow. I'm not going to try to drive that car on snow covered roads again (with summer tires at least).

Same here lol. Im in White Bear but store my Trans Am in Hastings. I run a slick on the street so that does not really mix with rain let alone snow!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201021/47e0b73ce74cbb87eda7d57c7e50ae98.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201021/b4d76c3b6dd367c2dcafbd9288253919.jpg