PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber lint on windshield glass?

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Smyth
10-16-2020, 05:04 PM
I started detailing 2 years ago as a retirement hobby, and I frequently read this forum and view youtube videos, so I think I have more than a beginner's knowledge level.

I decided to thoroughly clean both sides of my windshield using Griot's Garage glass cleaner. I used a painter's light to show if there were streaks, and I buffed them out and I thought the windshield was flawless.

The next day when the windshield was facing the sun, I saw many "sparkles" on the windshield. I tried to remove them using various chemicals but they were still there.

I finally figured out via searching this forum and trial-and-error that my microfiber towels were leaving these sparkles on the windshield. I got rid of the sparkles by using a compound, then buffed with a cotton towel, then sprayed paint prep, then wiped the paint prep off with a cotton towel. Now the windshield looks great.

I thought microfiber was man-made and didn't shed and that was one if its advantages over cotton.

Is microfiber lint on windshield glass common knowledge among more experienced detailers? I had never seen or read anything about microfiber lint, so this caught me totally by surprise.

For those of you who have had this problem, is it simply a matter of using newer and high-quality waffle-weave towels?

Mike Phillips
10-18-2020, 08:40 AM
For those of you who have had this problem, is it simply a matter of using newer and high-quality waffle-weave towels?

I use waffle weave glass towels - don't really see lint on the glass when done.

:)

Eldorado2k
10-18-2020, 11:51 AM
I use waffle weave glass towels - don't really see lint on the glass when done.

:)

This^

Also, keep your waffle weave towels away from your normal microfibers, meaning don’t wash them together especially don’t wash them with any plush microfiber towels.

I wash my waffle weaves with my wash mitts and I’ve never had a problem with them leaving little bits of lint on glass.

Here inside the house I grabbed the nearest towel I had, thinking it should work fine enough for a quick cleaning but as you can see it left a bunch of lint behind. My waffle weaves don’t do this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201018/df44c2342ef0253d25aaed40c71e3575.jpg

UncleDavy
10-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Waffle weave glass towels are very good but the Carpro glass towels leave absolutely no lint behind.

PA DETAILER
10-18-2020, 02:18 PM
I have found the Speed master glass towels perfect.

Speed Master Premium Glass Towel (https://www.autogeek.net/speed-master-glass-towel.html)

John U
10-18-2020, 02:50 PM
I have a pile of so called "glass" towels that lint. Tried fresh out of the package or washed by themselves no difference.

Zap towel or a cloth diaper is the only thing that works for me.

The Guz
10-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Waffle weave glass towels are very good but the Carpro glass towels leave absolutely no lint behind.

Great glass towels. Their glass cleaner is also great.

Rsurfer
10-18-2020, 04:02 PM
Great glass towels. Their glass cleaner is also great.

:iagree:Clarify Glass Cleaner is the bomb, love the banana scent. Their glass towel has replaced all my waffle weave glass towels.

UncleDavy
10-18-2020, 07:59 PM
I have a pile of so called "glass" towels that lint. Tried fresh out of the package or washed by themselves no difference.

Zap towel or a cloth diaper is the only thing that works for me.

Zap Cloth absolutely. I use it for the interior but I like to follow it up with a Griots or a Carpro glass towel.

Eldorado2k
10-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Zap Cloth is cool.

PaulMys
10-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Zap Cloth is cool.

Not as cool as you, Ric.

Well, maybe it is........... ;)

Coatingsarecrack
10-18-2020, 11:50 PM
Griots glass towels are great. That with foamong cleaner of your choice. Follow up with a damp Zep cloth and your golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
10-19-2020, 09:02 AM
Zap Cloth is cool.

All i use on the INSIDE glass.

oneheadlite
10-19-2020, 12:02 PM
I really wanted to love the Zap Cloth, but it hasn't blown me away. On any windshield I've used it on that was visibly not clean to start, you could see a "fog" on the windshield while it was still damp from wiping. That's with using distilled water to rule out tap water issues.

Same effect I ran into when I tried ONR as a glass cleaner since so many raved about it. Hit the glass with a glass cleaner, and you can see that fog get cut through and it's easier to feel like you'll actually have crisp clear glass when you run into that just-the-right-hour-of-the-day sun.

Maybe it's best (for me) to use it as a final wipe to catch anything that may have been missed in the first step, almost like a spit polish for the final pass.

Anyone ever just use a Zap Cloth with a glass cleaner instead of plain water?

John U
10-19-2020, 01:43 PM
I really wanted to love the Zap Cloth, but it hasn't blown me away.
Anyone ever just use a Zap Cloth with a glass cleaner instead of plain water?

Yes, I soak the cloth and wring it out before I start washing the car so it can dry out to a "moist" not damp condition before I use it. I use a spritz of window cleaner on the glass and try to finish with a good vertical or horizontal pattern (opposite the opposing side) for the final wipe so I can see if it's the inside or outside of the car with "issues".