PDA

View Full Version : Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer blotchy application?

Icarus
10-15-2020, 11:48 PM
I bought a couple bottles of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer to use as my quick detailer, but every time I've used it, it goes on 'blotchy' if that makes any sense?!

I'm currently using Mequiars Ultimate polish and wax on my black 2014 Chrysler 300. If I try to spray the BSD on no matter when I try (after washing etc) it seems to go on blotchy as I mentioned. Should I try diluting it or ? It doesn't matter if I use a little or a lot, and also tried 3-4 different microfibers as well from basic to plush. I just bought some ONR to try as a rinseless wash as the car gets dusty so fast here, maybe I should mix some in?

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Coatingsarecrack
10-16-2020, 03:40 AM
I bought a couple bottles of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer to use as my quick detailer, but every time I've used it, it goes on 'blotchy' if that makes any sense?!

I'm currently using Mequiars Ultimate polish and wax on my black 2014 Chrysler 300. If I try to spray the BSD on no matter when I try (after washing etc) it seems to go on blotchy as I mentioned. Should I try diluting it or ? It doesn't matter if I use a little or a lot, and also tried 3-4 different microfibers as well from basic to plush. I just bought some ONR to try as a rinseless wash as the car gets dusty so fast here, maybe I should mix some in?

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

A lot of people dilute with distilled water up to 1-1. This stuff is viscous and more like a sealant than a QD. If wanting a QD to clean would recommend trying this or another QD all together.

Using it full strength more like a sealant dampen your MF and spray 2-3 squirts in it and wipe down panel to half a panel then buff.

Read from some of mixing it with other QD’s (chem guy’s V07 being a popular one).

If you think of it more as a sealant than QD hear it’s great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckycarretera
10-16-2020, 07:22 AM
I use it 1:2. It is a supperb product on the protection that it leaves , for a QD.

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using Tapatalk

Icarus
10-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Yes, I've been reading on 1:1 or more with distilled water. I'll have to try some on a separate spray bottle (which should help as well.)
Thanks for the tips so far :)

Jayfro
10-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Yes, I've been reading on 1:1 or more with distilled water. I'll have to try some on a separate spray bottle (which should help as well.)
Thanks for the tips so far :)

I used it full strength and had streaking then someone (think Bob or Sweetm) on the forum suggested 1:1 and it worked like a champ. I would also spray onto a microfiber towel first and apply it.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Dry Bones
10-16-2020, 07:14 PM
I’ve used BSD and the best tip I heard and can recommend is getting a flairosol bottle. I will try the 1:1 dilution based on what others said.

ducksfan
10-17-2020, 01:24 AM
You might try washing with Reset before applying to make sure it's not reacting with other chems.

I always spray it on as I'm drying. I use a blower to knock off 80-90 percent of the water first. This probably does the same as diluting 1:1 or 1:2 as others suggest.

Good stuff. I've always been happy with the results. It makes whites look great and seems to self clean pretty well (But, whites tend to show dirt less. So...?).

Coatingsarecrack
10-17-2020, 03:34 AM
Id personally just try the damp towel method first. Gotta be a reason Sonax doesn’t dilute it with all the complaints.

chinee
10-17-2020, 06:03 AM
Id personally just try the damp towel method first. Gotta be a reason Sonax doesn’t dilute it with all the complaints.

I agree. I've been using this for the last 2 years and found it works best at full strength. Application is grabby and you have to be diligent with the wiping and buffing, but the shine and hydrophobic qualities are the best I've seen. As others have stated, BSD does not behave like a detail spray but more like a sealant. Do I wish it was slicker and easier to apply? Of course. Do I wish to dilute it and lessen it's properties? Nope. I simply spray into the MF towel a couple of times at the start, that seems to lessen the grab a little.

Icarus
10-21-2020, 11:09 PM
Thanks again all. I've not a chance to try anything due to a family emergency. Hopefully we can get back into the swing of things shortly...

SWETM
10-23-2020, 08:49 AM
Many great tips with how to use BSD. The most important for me is to use it sparingly. 1-2 sprays per panel is enough. If you are to use it as a QD you can dilute it up to 1:5. Then you are able to spray on more solution that way. And honestly I would skip the wax after the next polishing and just apply BSD on dry paint. If you do this I usually spray in a mf towel. Spread it out and then a dry buffing mf towel to soak up the what's left. No dwell time is needed just wipe on and wipe off.
If you like to spray directly on the paint. Yeah we all like different ways. Then it's a bottle called Flairosol bottle that has a very fine mist that spreads it out evenly. If it's windy don't use this as it will land every where you don't want it to land LOL. Also I personally like to dilute it 1:1. But then it's sprayed on almost fully covered. It's a testing game to get the right amount that suit your method with BSD.

Here you have a so called Flairosol fine mist spray bottle.

EZ Mist Sprayer - Black (https://www.autogeek.net/ez-mist-sprayer.html)

Icarus
03-25-2021, 01:56 AM
I finally got around to buying a better sprayer today! I've been using it straight since last year, but not using it much.
So I'll try it out mixing it 1:1 with some distilled water, or maybe mixing it with some Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax? I know lots mix it with CG V07, but its $28/btl (473mL) up here vs. $17 for the UQW (709mL). Why is everything so expensive up here now?!

Icarus
06-03-2024, 06:45 PM
Just an update fwiw...

I've been using BSD 50/50 with distilled water and it seems to not streak near as much (pretty well not at all now) which is good to see. Water beads nicely still after applying, though I have PNS on it still which is holding up really well this application surprisingly (since May '23!) PNS is fading out, but still beading!

I still mostly do ONR washes mainly, with the occasional Meguiars HyperWash hand wash when really dirty. I'm almost out now so not sure if I will try the newest version or something else. I do find now that I'm getting towards the bottom of the jug of ONR, that either its making the paint a bit blotchy or the PNS fading is. I do shake it before every use but it seems the ONR is getting darker blue (with age?!) I've read it does go funny but still seems ok (had this jug since March '23. so looks like a jug will last me 1.5yrs for this one car?)

Still not tried mixing BSD with anything else yet though...