PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Groits 3 inch or 5

Pages : [1] 2

Mike In Auburn
10-04-2020, 06:12 PM
Help me see logic here. I’m back into detailing and it’s time to start one step polish. That’s for two cars, one or two polishes per car per year. Both cars have lots of small areas, like 3 inch width areas.
My ego wants a Rupes kit which with everything I’ll need (do consider this would be a single machine with a 3 inch backing plate) I’d be in for about $400. That’s with 5 pads and the polish I’d like to try. My logical side says that for about $20 more, I’d have a Groits Garage G8 and a G9 (3 and 6 inch machines) with everything else needed. Guessing I cut polishing time in half with 3 and 5 inch machines available. Why is this not an easy decision? Anyone work on their one car with only a 3 inch machine? Worth is very subjective but double the cost?

2wookies
10-04-2020, 06:19 PM
If you’re not grinding out cars often, get the Griots. I love mine and lifetime warranty is nice.

vobro
10-04-2020, 06:25 PM
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with switching out backing plates on 1 machine, how did you get to the thought of saving half the time by getting 2 different size machines? After my test spots I usually hit all the small areas first then go back and hit the larger areas, it takes under a minute to swap out to a different backing plate.

Rsurfer
10-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Yes you can polish your paint with a 3"/4" pad. I've done it with a Rupes Mini. I would much prefer polishing with a 5" pad and a 1,2,3" for tight areas.

If the G8/G9 fits your budget, go for it.

Rsurfer
10-04-2020, 06:31 PM
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with switching out backing plates on 1 machine, how did you get to the thought of saving half the time by getting 2 different size machines? After my test spots I usually hit all the small areas first then go back and hit the larger areas, it takes under a minute to swap out to a different backing plate.

Can you put a 3" backing plate on a G9? I know you can't do it on a Rupes 15/21.

The Guz
10-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Go with the griot's tools. I sold my rupes 3 inch polisher. It served me well for years but I got tired of it stalling. The Flex PXE 80 seems to have more torque than the rupes 3 inch machine.

Mike In Auburn
10-04-2020, 06:39 PM

I was thinking that a 3 inch machine would take a lot more time than a 5 inch machine on the large areas such as the hood, roof, door panels, etc. Regarding the backing plate switching; Rupes, Groits, Portal Cable all say no. You cannot switch from a 3 inch plate to a 5 or 6 inch plate. At first I called b.s., seems you agree. So if I may ask what machine do you use where there have been no issues going back and forth with a 3 and t inch backing plate?

Mike In Auburn
10-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Can you put a 3" backing plate on a G9? I know you can't do it on a Rupes 15/21.

I have am email from Groits customer service saying no. From the message:

Hi Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to email us here at Griot's Garage.
Unfortunately we do not have an orbital that is compatible with both a 5 and 3 inch backing plate.

Rsurfer
10-04-2020, 07:11 PM
I was thinking that a 3 inch machine would take a lot more time than a 5 inch machine on the large areas such as the hood, roof, door panels, etc. Regarding the backing plate switching; Rupes, Groits, Portal Cable all say no. You cannot switch from a 3 inch plate to a 5 or 6 inch plate. At first I called b.s., seems you agree. So if I may ask what machine do you use where there have been no issues going back and forth with a 3 and t inch backing plate?

You can put on a 3" 5 or 6" on a Porter Cable and probably all the 6" orbital knock offs including the older Griot 6".

dgage
10-04-2020, 07:30 PM
I used 3” and 5” backing plates on my old GG6 as well as a utility/fabric brush on it without issue. I considered the Rupes polishers as I value quality tools (I use Festool woodworking tools as another hobby) but the Rupes are more limiting when it comes to different size backing plates so I decided to upgrade to the GG8 and GG9 combo but just got them and haven’t used them yet. I also bought a 1.5” backing plate to go along with the 2” and 3” backing plates of the GG8 so I can get everything from the headlights to the trunk molding areas. And the GG9 can run 5” and 6” and has a better warranty than Rupes or Flex. And I’ve read about issues with the Griots, Flex, and Rupes so it isn’t like one of them is light years ahead of the others in quality.

Rsurfer
10-04-2020, 07:34 PM
I used 3” and 5” backing plates on my old GG6 as well as a utility/fabric brush on it without issue. I considered the Rupes polishers as I value quality tools (I use Festool woodworking tools as another hobby) but the Rupes are more limiting when it comes to different size backing plates so I decided to upgrade to the GG8 and GG9 combo but just got them and haven’t used them yet. I also bought a 1.5” backing plate to go along with the 2” and 3” backing plates of the GG8 so I can get everything from the headlights to the trunk molding areas. And the GG9 can run 5” and 6” and has a better warranty than Rupes or Flex. And I’ve read about issues with the Griots, Flex, and Rupes so it isn’t like one of them is light years ahead of the others in quality.

They make a 1.5" backing plate for the G8?

dpevans
10-04-2020, 07:41 PM
I have the PC and even though they tell you a 3" will not work I do it all the time. The only issue is the head is larger than the 3" so if you are going into a tight space you cannot always get right up to the edge and you have to do it by hand.

dgage
10-04-2020, 11:09 PM
They make a 1.5" backing plate for the G8?

I guess I misstated as it is 1.25” (32mm), which I bought from Buff Daddy. They suggested the short extension vs the adapter for the best performance on the GG8.

1", 2", and 32mm Diameter Backing Plates and Extensions (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/1125EXT)

I just received it last week and haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

Edit - If I posted the link and shouldn’t have, I apologize but I know of no other place to find such a backing plate and finding it on the other site is difficult. Please educate me on appropriate link etiquette. Thanks.

2wookies
10-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Don’t even think about attempting to polish your entire car with a 3”, you will hate life.

Mike Phillips
10-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Guessing I cut polishing time in half with 3 and 5 inch machines available.

Why is this not an easy decision? Anyone work on their one car with only a 3 inch machine?

Worth is very subjective but double the cost?

With the G9 you can use both 5" and 6" backing plates and matching pads.

With the G8 you can use 2" and 3" backing plates and matching pads.

It's actually a very good combo. And the Griot's pads and BOSS products are Top Notch.

:)