PDA

View Full Version : Checking Paint Thickness

GarageKing
10-01-2020, 08:58 AM
So when buying a vehicle, or when detailing, it's good to know how thick your paint is. I found this paint thickness gauge and find I'm actually using it it quite a bit. It comes in handy most of the time when shopping for a vehicle as I am able to quickly tell if a steel or aluminum panel has been repainted.

https://youtu.be/46igEiWKFlU

mc2hill
10-01-2020, 09:45 AM
I have a friend/client that has seen me use the PTG on his cars, and now borrows it when he is looking at buying cars. He said he gets odd looks, but can has an idea on the cars paint/body history, and can negotiate accordingly.

GarageKing
10-01-2020, 09:56 AM
You bet, I think it's actually most useful when buying a car as it is so useful, plus if there is a Bondo job the PTG won't read as the substrate is too thick so its good for finding bodywork. It's a great negotiating tool. Thanks for the comment!!

LSNAutoDetailing
10-01-2020, 12:05 PM
The sales guy thought I was nuts, but I go over the entire care (even if brand new). You never know what got dinged in transport and fixed in the back of the service department. Or some sales guy had to take the new super charged <fill in the blank> and wrap it around a telephone pole, only to have it repaired after the service department closed for the day. It happens... just cause it's *new* doesn't mean it's new.

Good post.

GarageKing
10-01-2020, 01:59 PM
You know it's funny you say that. I had bought a 2015 Camaro ZL1 right off the factory floor (Brand New). I drove it home and detailed it. I noticed body work on the left rear quarter panel. I was beyond myself and felt sick. I drove the car back, said it was repainted, dealer denied any repaint, and long story short it was repainted. No one at the dealer would accept any blame. It wound up in court and they bought the car back. No record anywhere of it being repainted. I take my paint thickness gauge whenever I'm checking out a vehicle and as you said, "just cause its new doesn't mean its new" I learned that first hand. Thanks for the comment

AutowerxDetailing
10-01-2020, 02:35 PM
You know it's funny you say that. I had bought a 2015 Camaro ZL1 right off the factory floor (Brand New). I drove it home and detailed it. I noticed body work on the left rear quarter panel. I was beyond myself and felt sick. I drove the car back, said it was repainted, dealer denied any repaint, and long story short it was repainted. No one at the dealer would accept any blame. It wound up in court and they bought the car back. No record anywhere of it being repainted. I take my paint thickness gauge whenever I'm checking out a vehicle and as you said, "just cause its new doesn't mean its new" I learned that first hand. Thanks for the comment

So many vehicles are damaged in transit that they literally have a body shop at most ports of arrival. Vehicles can be refinished / repainted before they even arrive at the dealership and without their knowledge of any damage occurring. Not that this justifies anything... I think it should be mandatory that any damage or bodywork be noted on the vehicle's history, no matter when the damage occurred.

GarageKing
10-01-2020, 02:47 PM
After I went thought my ordeal and talked with a lot of people industry I learned what you said is soo true, and I agree that any damage should be noted on the vehicle's history. In my case I noticed it when I was detailing it. I could see the orbital sanding marks under the black paint, so I knew there was a layer of Bondo. Had I not detailed it right away I would not have noticed and the dealer would have said that I did that. It was good I detailed the car as soon as I brought it home, and then drove it right back so it was clear that I had nothing to do with it. It was a very stressful situation for sure.

TTQ B4U
10-01-2020, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't touch another persons vehicle without a PTG.

In terms of new vehicles...I grew up in the car business. Yes, lots of repairs or touch ups are made. Laws vary by area but dealers don't have to disclose smaller repairs. IIRC it's based on retail dollar amount.

PaulMys
10-01-2020, 06:09 PM
So many vehicles are damaged in transit that they literally have a body shop at most ports of arrival. Vehicles can be refinished / repainted before they even arrive at the dealership and without their knowledge of any damage occurring. Not that this justifies anything... I think it should be mandatory that any damage or bodywork be noted on the vehicle's history, no matter when the damage occurred.

I work for a dealer, and it is my job to fully inspect every vehicle that arrives. I would put the percentage of vehicles that arrive with carrier damage at about 5--7%.

Carriers will also "STI" (Subject To Inspection) deliver. This means they will drop the vehicles off after hours, overnight, etc. I actually have found LESS damage on these vehicles. Maybe 2%.

Either way, the damaged ones go to the body shop, and no disclaimer is made to the customer upon purchase.

Pretty F'd up in my opinion. :/

Rsurfer
10-01-2020, 06:14 PM
I work for a dealer, and it is my job to fully inspect every vehicle that arrives. I would put the percentage of vehicles that arrive with carrier damage at about 5--7%.

Carriers will also "STI" (Subject To Inspection) deliver. This means they will drop the vehicles off after hours, overnight, etc. I actually have found LESS damage on these vehicles. Maybe 2%.

Either way, the damaged ones go to the body shop, and no disclaimer is made to the customer upon purchase.

Someone needs to pass a bill called "Truth in Damage".

PaulMys
10-01-2020, 07:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201002/ff3955fcc89ee021b53a68a6c912bc32.jpg
Here’s a brand new Explorer that was loaded on the lower level of the carrier incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
10-01-2020, 07:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201002/ffe205594b51fa0923be0ec4e73cce40.jpg
2020 Escape.

Fixed, and sold with zero disclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57Rambler
10-01-2020, 07:36 PM

You'd be surprised at some of the repairs that are done to cars before they even leave the assembly plant.

The stories of 70's F-Body repairs were legion when I started out at Norwood.

GarageKing
10-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Holy Crap that's a lot of damage on that explorer!!!! The Escape is not at bad but it's going to need filler and those vehicles will not have factory paint in those areas anymore. That is just crazy. Thanks for sharing guys.