PDA

View Full Version : Water Beading - How does this look to you?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
09-30-2020, 03:00 PM
Water Beading - How does this look to you?

Water Beading - How does this look to you?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Water_Beading_SC_01.JPG

Good? Bad? Great?
:dunno:

Desertnate
09-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Looks good to me. Those beads appear to be be perched on the surface where they'll roll or blow off easily. More coating-like, but not as small and tight as I've seen from some coatings like CQuartz UK.

Hard to say though without knowing how much water hit the surface and how closely you're zoomed in.

John U
09-30-2020, 04:38 PM
The shadows tell the tale..... great in my book!

keninfl
09-30-2020, 04:42 PM
The beads are small and mostly round and have depth -- so great.
Curious why you are asking.
I am getting confused about which is better, beading or sheeting.

Rsurfer
09-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Looks artificial.

dpevans
09-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Coming from the printing industry most people don't understand that water and the wetness of water is a result of surface tension. That's why a freshly waxed or applied sealant will bead better than paint that is not protected. In the print business you want the opposite effect of water beading you want the water to lay flat and adhere to the printing substrate. Of course the chemistry is not that simple.

57Rambler
09-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Water molecules are polar and thus strongly attracted to each (versus the surface that they are on). When you apply something like an oil or wax, which is not polar and thus not attracted to water, this creates the surface tension and repels the water. With waxes and sealants you are increasing surface tension and you get lots of small, tightly defined beads. As that degrades, the surface tension goes down and the beads get bigger. A coating is an entirely different story - you are actually purposely decreasing surface tension down to the point where the surface is slick enough that water just slides off, aka sheeting.

Rsurfer
09-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Water molecules are polar and thus strongly attracted to each (versus the surface that they are on). When you apply something like an oil or wax, which is not polar and thus not attracted to water, this creates the surface tension and repels the water. With waxes and sealants you are increasing surface tension and you get lots of small, tightly defined beads. As that degrades, the surface tension goes down and the beads get bigger. A coating is an entirely different story - you are actually purposely decreasing surface tension down to the point where the surface is slick enough that water just slides off, aka sheeting.

What coating is purely hydrophilic?

PaulMys
09-30-2020, 07:24 PM
Looks artificial.

Anyone curious about the "bead" towards the top and just right of center?

57Rambler
09-30-2020, 08:00 PM
What coating is purely hydrophilic?

None. But the mechanism/goal of coatings is to decrease the surface tension so much that any beading that does form essentially "slides" right off almost instantly, thereby approximating hydrophobic sheeting.

spazzz
09-30-2020, 08:36 PM

Tagged in.

The deflated one with dirt in it?

Rsurfer
09-30-2020, 08:41 PM

It almost looks like someone use an eye dropper rather than it came from rain or a hose.

Rsurfer
09-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Tagged in.

The deflated one with dirt in it?

That's what it looked like to me when I first saw the picture and zoomed in on it.

acuRAS82
10-01-2020, 03:11 AM
The shadows tell the tale..... great in my book!

I’m with John U. Those are some nice shadows which tells me those babies have some height to them. They look nice.

Thomkirby
10-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Great! They look to rise above surface rather than lay tight to surface yet still clump the water bead