PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Trim / Door handle issue

DeadlySheds
09-29-2020, 06:12 PM
Hi. I did a full correction/coating on my truck a couple weeks ago and also cleaned and treated the bumpers/door handles etc.

The plastics looked great beforehand and has been treated regularly since 2016.

I did maintenance wash today and the door handles and rear bumper trim now look like absolute garbage.

They look chalky and faded and almost like there's leftover polish on them. I taped everything off when I was polishing and they were not naturally faded when I did the truck.

The front bumper still looks great but the door handles and rear bumper are horrible.

Door handles/Front bumper were treated with AutoGlym bumper and trim gel, and the rear bumper with 303.

Any thoughts on what could cause this? The rear bumper even has water spots! I've never seen it look this bad before.

My plan is to scrub with some OPC at 3:1 and let it sit overnight to dry. Then assess tomorrow.

It really looks terrible having a nice polished truck with such poor looking trim.
All the other trim looks perfect (Third Pic)....

On the door handle you can see darker weeping. That's Krown Rust Control as I live in a salty climate and have the truck sprayed each year. It weeps unfortunately.

It's also a daily driver truck that's used as a truck....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/00e32d74160c95e8a1119aa2941ea38f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/e4fa443aca205a800e1900781aa2ed5a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/028ef699cf3bb4e1e40e1520ccbe93fa.jpg

DMiglio
09-29-2020, 06:29 PM
What did you use on the plastics previously? You just treated them for the first time a couple weeks ago or you’ve used these products long term and just recently this has happened?

Think you’ll either have to look into trim paint or a more restorative product after getting this all cleaned up.

There’s a few options for paint, SEM, Rustoleum and I believe Duplicolor. Google them I don’t think Autogeek sells these.

For restorative products, I recently picked up Pinnacle Onyx Trim Restorer and it’s great! Significantly darkened the trim on my parents 2019 Ford Edge. It supposedly lasts 4-6 months, but I plan to do a second coat this weekend and then apply a trim coating to keep it protected long term(12-18months).

57Rambler
09-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Hard to tell what caused that for sure, esp. since you taped stuff off.

I think I would strip everything off the trim with isopropyl and then apply Solution Finish trim restorer. You may have to do all the trim (good and bad) to get a consistent look across the vehicle.

DeadlySheds
09-29-2020, 06:37 PM
What did you use on the plastics previously? You just treated them for the first time a couple weeks ago or you’ve used these products long term and just recently this has happened?

Think you’ll either have to look into trim paint or a more restorative product after getting this all cleaned up.

There’s a few options for paint, SEM, Rustoleum and I believe Duplicolor. Google them I don’t think Autogeek sells these.

For restorative products, I recently picked up Pinnacle Onyx Trim Restorer and it’s great! Significantly darkened the trim on my parents 2019 Ford Edge. It supposedly lasts 4-6 months, but I plan to do a second coat this weekend and then apply a trim coating to keep it protected long term(12-18months).Thanks for your response. The trim was fine before this last polish and I've used several different products over the years. Trim has been regularly treated since new. This is what has me so confused.

There's also trim I treated this last go around and it still looks excellent.

You can see here the plate light cover looks great but the bumper above doesn't. It's bizzare.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200929/887d203ed32893c1a7d6633a99c4762d.jpg

vobro
09-29-2020, 07:58 PM
What kind of tape did you use? Could be residue or a reaction from tape

DeadlySheds
09-29-2020, 08:04 PM
What kind of tape did you use? Could be residue or a reaction from tapeAutomotive Masking Tape was used. Don't think that was it as I've used the same stuff before.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk