PDA

View Full Version : 3401/pad?/compound?

Pages : [1] 2

Bicycle
09-28-2020, 09:11 PM
With the 3401(that’s the only polisher I have) and a couple of vehicle with heavy paint damage, what would you guys suggest, MF pads or wool? Are these pads run at a lower speed?
Also, what compound(s) for heavy cutting?
Tanks

spazzz
09-28-2020, 10:55 PM
I am not a fan of microfiberr pads. They probably work great on my PC but never bothered because Flex3401 rules.
When I have stubborn spots I go for a TufBuf black wool and M100. I start slow speed to spread then crank to 6
I usually have good luck with a LC orange hybrid and Menzerna HC400. Almost bought some HC300 but didn't bother.
I use the gray LC hybrid occasionally with HC 400 on trouble spots but they have to be wide open flat panels because the pads are so stiff
'

Billy Baldone
09-29-2020, 02:24 AM
Yep 3401/Orange LC force pad/Menzerna 400. I get fantastic 1 step results with this combo

JustJesus
09-29-2020, 01:18 PM
I've used MF, wool, and the LC Orange pads (among others).

All work well. For the more serious defects, I do reach for wool. Usually, the Orange Hybrids work well enough for most jobs

Kamakaz1961
09-29-2020, 01:28 PM
I have been using my Flex 3401 for a few years. My BEST (IMO) compounding method (for me) is the Lake Country Orange Hybrid Foam Pad and Menzerna FG400. If the swirls are very severe, I use Menzerna FG300. I use Speed setting 5 after priming the pad. BTW, I do believe Lake Country makes the Hybrid Pads specifically for the Flex 3401.

I hope this helps.

TMQ
09-29-2020, 04:35 PM
Kamakaz....

YES...this helps me a lot! A newbie to the flex and the info you posted is what I needed to know.

Thanks..

Tom

98CayenneTA
09-29-2020, 04:56 PM
What year, make and model vehicles are you working on?

spazzz
09-29-2020, 08:26 PM
I did try the Microfiber pads on my Flex but no bueno.
They take quite a bit of muscle to guide along to avoid getting bouncy. I wasn't patient enough to deal with the needy fiber upkeep between passes, towels, air and fluffing.
I use a towel and wipe the foam pad of old residue in between passes then apply polish and hit it again. Pretty quick process.

Yeah, Billy I spaced last night trying to respond on my tablet. I should have said orange Force Hybrid.

JustJesus
09-29-2020, 09:00 PM
I did try the Microfiber pads on my Flex but no bueno.
They take quite a bit of muscle to guide along to avoid getting bouncy.

Curious, what polish were you using??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

prestigemobiledetail
09-29-2020, 09:52 PM
In most cases, paint can be finished down with simply a compound. As Mike Phillips says "micro abrasive technology" has come a very long way, and the compounds finish down with virtually no haze.... Its amazing

psnt1ol
09-29-2020, 09:56 PM
I have the flex 3401 for close to 10 years and recently acquired the new "Beast". I find the thin MF pad dont play nice with gear driven orbital like the 3401. the thicker MF pad plays better or better yet... a Wool pad. Its not very often I slap on the wool pad but when I do...I am working on really hammered paint. Like other had said... the orange hybrid pad generally does the job for most corrections when paired with a heavy cut compound. Lake country Hybrid pads were originally developed for the 3401 and the fact that MF pads are not offered in the hybrid line (while the wool pads are) should tell you something.

which compound to use ??? For me...it is an evolution of thought. I used to think "rocks in a bottle" is the approach but now I prefer more lubricity and long work cycle. for years Menzerna and carpro were my go to for heavy cutting but lately I been using 3D. To get the most out of a heavy compound, one must spend a little time understand the tech behind it and adjust your buffing style to it. Its sort of like driving. Just because you know how to drive doesnt mean all cars should be driven the same way. This is only my opinion and sometimes what works for someone might not work for others.:laughing:

spazzz
09-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Curious, what polish were you using??

No doubt Menzerna 400 or Meguiars 101.
I also tried Meguiars Ultimate compound. Microfibers turned out to be the wrong thing for me on the Flex.

I used them 1 other time when my brother got down with the Flex and I used my PC with the microfibers.
They were heavy hitters and did outstanding work with a free floating machine.

Dr Oldz
09-29-2020, 10:48 PM
For the really nasty jobs using the Beast, I use LC Hybrid foamed wool and 3D ACA 500. That combo will remove some serious defects and sanding marks. It will definitely need a second step after that to finish.

Other compounds I will use with a foamed wool pad on the Beast are:

Megs 110
Sonax CutMax
Wizards Mystic cut
BF compound

These are extreme cases. As others have suggested, the orange LC Hybrid orange pad is a good choice depending on defect level.

JustJesus
09-30-2020, 06:36 PM
BF compound

These are extreme cases. As others have suggested, the orange LC Hybrid orange pad is a good choice depending on defect level.

Do you find BF Compound to be pretty aggressive? Close to CutMax?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-02-2020, 11:54 AM
B&S white or grey wool and the Last Cut + for heavy defects. Orange hybrid can do work, but it definitely has its limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk