PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Ceramic Spray Over WDGPS

spewking
09-28-2020, 03:43 PM
I am a big fan of WGDPS and am ready to apply it before winter. I’ll wash to strip and then apply 2 coats of WDGPS via machine...not a full detail at this time as paint still looks good from the spring.

Am thinking about applying the Wolfgang spray ceramic coating over the WDGPS to engage de protection over the winter. Is this advisable? Have you done this and what is your experience? Maybe I Am overdoing it —- should I apply just the spray coating to the paint and forego the WDGPS?

Thanks.

DMiglio
09-28-2020, 03:53 PM
I wouldn’t do this, ceramics require a bare surface to truly bond to the paint. The WDGPS would interfere with that bond and cause it to fail.

Best case if you wanted to use both would be to use the WGCSC as a base, give it a week or two to fully set up and bond and then apply the WDGPS. Doing this though would cause a similar issue in that the coating won’t allow the sealant to fully bond. You’ll also get the benefits and water behavior of the sealant for some time as opposed to the Ceramic.

Me-if I had the time to prep properly, I’d do the coating and maintain monthly with a ceramic detail spray or spray sealant product. If I didn’t have the time, 2 costs of WDGPS maintainend monthly with detailer or Spray wax/sealant.

spewking
09-28-2020, 05:02 PM
DMiglio — Thanks. Your comments make sense. I usually do the WDGPS routine as you outline. I will likely try the ceramic this winter and see how it does.

acuRAS82
09-28-2020, 08:32 PM
DMiglio — Thanks. Your comments make sense. I usually do the WDGPS routine as you outline. I will likely try the ceramic this winter and see how it does.

Dmiglio knows his stuff. There’s different ‘levels’ of toppers that could be used with WG Ceramic Spray Coating (CSC). Attempting to list them from most substantial to lightest:
WG Uber SiO2 Silica Spray
WG PROFI Booster
WG SiO2 Maintenance Wash (not a topper but leaves a lot behind)
WG PROFI Detailer Spray
WG SiO2 Waterless Wash

Also I would not personally hesitate to top WG CSC with itself every month or two.

If looking for bare minimum protection drying aid after every wash, SiO2 Waterless Wash or PROFI Detail Spray both seem good for that.

PaulMys
09-28-2020, 08:52 PM
Dmiglio knows his stuff. .......

Oh, great..... Now he's gonna make more NYC vs. CHI pizza comments.......:laughing::laughing:

acuRAS82
09-28-2020, 10:47 PM
Oh, great..... Now he's gonna make more NYC vs. CHI pizza comments.......:laughing::laughing:

I pondered adding “...despite thinking deep dish is better than thin crust”, but realized I didn’t want to instigate another pizza thread... but now you gone and done it PaulMys.

DMiglio
09-29-2020, 03:27 AM
Dmiglio knows his stuff. There’s different ‘levels’ of toppers that could be used with WG Ceramic Spray Coating (CSC). Attempting to list them from most substantial to lightest:
WG PROFI Booster
WG PROFI Detailer Spray
WG SiO2 Waterless Wash

Also I would not personally hesitate to top WG CSC with itself every month or two.

If looking for bare minimum protection drying aid after every wash, SiO2 Waterless Wash or PROFI Detail Spray both seem good for that.

Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

I only just picked the WGCSC and have yet to use it and you’re far more knowledgeable than I am in these products.

Topping with itself(Ceramic Spray Coating) every few months, I would’ve never thought of that. What would your “reapplication” process look like?

I like the idea of using something light to top up after every wash, whether it’s on a coating, sealant or wax. Thanks for listing out some compatible maintenance PBMG products for the coating!

DMiglio
09-29-2020, 03:29 AM

As I’m sure you know, even if you don’t get around to the coating before winter, a couple coats of WDGPS with little maintenance over the winter will get you through to spring. It really is a time tested solid product

Keep us up to date on what you do!

acuRAS82
09-29-2020, 01:02 PM
Topping with itself(Ceramic Spray Coating) every few months, I would’ve never thought of that. What would your “reapplication” process look like?

If I were to top WG CSC with itself every month or two, I would use Reset as my main wash and wouldn’t worry much about the re-application. The product doesn’t apply finicky like a true coating lite, it reminds me PBL Surface Coating which Mike P. uses regularly as a topper on his PBL Paint Coating, with only a wash for prep.

Sure I wouldn’t be cleaning the surface from every and all contaminants and grime, but if the LSP is good, there shouldn’t be too much on there (I would probably do a mini-prep every 6-9 months though), and I’m guessing the product synergy with itself supports a successful bond.

I could be totally wrong but these are my thoughts based on the product feel and knowing PBMG very well.

DMiglio
09-29-2020, 01:16 PM
If I were to top WG CSC with itself every month or two, I would use Reset as my main wash and wouldn’t worry much about the re-application. The product doesn’t apply finicky like a true coating lite, it reminds me PBL Surface Coating which Mike P. uses regularly as a topper on his PBL Paint Coating, with only a wash for prep.

Sure I wouldn’t be cleaning the surface from every and all contaminants and grime, but if the LSP is good, there shouldn’t be too much on there (I would probably do a mini-prep every 6-9 months though), and I’m guessing the product synergy with itself supports a successful bond.

I could be totally wrong but these are my thoughts based on the product feel and knowing PBMG very well.

Simple enough! Thanks for the write up!

PBMG products were heavily discounted recently(2 or 3 weeks ago) not this past weekend and was able to pick up WG CSC for some $20. I figured it’s a steal and I love spray coatings, why not try just ooooone more haha.

I practice the same schedule of a light polish every 6-9 months to clean the surface and prep for winter(mainly to get strong LSP applied) or spring(enhance shine and paint color, apply LSP. I’m not sure how that’ll change now I’m in Florida, but looking forward to trying this process out.. I’ll have to stop myself from using any other toppers until I’m ready to use the WG CSC again.

To the OP hope you don’t feel I’ve derailed your thread and find this info helpful!

The Guz
09-29-2020, 01:24 PM
I am a big fan of WGDPS and am ready to apply it before winter. I’ll wash to strip and then apply 2 coats of WDGPS via machine...not a full detail at this time as paint still looks good from the spring.

Am thinking about applying the Wolfgang spray ceramic coating over the WDGPS to engage de protection over the winter. Is this advisable? Have you done this and what is your experience? Maybe I Am overdoing it —- should I apply just the spray coating to the paint and forego the WDGPS?

Thanks.

It probably wouldn't matter. It is winter so you are going to have to touch up in the spring. I say go for it especially if you want to try a new to you product. Sometimes experimenting leads to winning combinations.

spewking
09-30-2020, 05:54 PM
WG PROFI Booster
WG PROFI Detailer Spray
WG SiO2 Waterless Wash

Thanks much for this info. Good options to get through winter. How does the WG SI02 silica spray differ from the coating? Is it like reload that has a lower amount of Si02 but helps energize the base layer?

spewking
09-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Hey thanks guys for the prompt feedback and insight. Your help is appreciated! I am going to wash with purple power and wipe down with eraser or poor boys to get the paint ready and then apply the spray coating. I’ll get ready with the toppers (based on the list above) and recharge it in December before it really gets cold here in St. Louis and then wait for that one crazy warm day we usually get once every six weeks or so in the winter months to do another spray-on. I’ll let you know how it does compared to the WDGPS normal routine!!!

DMiglio
09-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Hey thanks guys for the prompt feedback and insight. Your help is appreciated! I am going to wash with purple power and wipe down with eraser or poor boys to get the paint ready and then apply the spray coating. I’ll get ready with the toppers (based on the list above) and recharge it in December before it really gets cold here in St. Louis and then wait for that one crazy warm day we usually get once every six weeks or so in the winter months to do another spray-on. I’ll let you know how it does compared to the WDGPS normal routine!!!

This sounds like a great plan!

Looking forward to the finished products and further thoughts as it goes through winter

acuRAS82
10-01-2020, 03:02 AM
Thanks much for this info. Good options to get through winter. How does the WG SI02 silica spray differ from the coating? Is it like reload that has a lower amount of Si02 but helps energize the base layer?

WG SiO2 Silica Spray is comparable to Reload, yes. Just as you mention. Use very sparingly though because it can otherwise be streaky... my experience is from BF and Pinnacle version SiO2 spray sealants, but I think WG is very close to Pinnacle. It has great up front properties but starts to fade at 1-2 months. Therefore it’s great as a topper but IMO it should be reapplied monthly if using as standalone.

Even though I mentioned above that WG CSC could also be applied every month or two, it’s not required as this should last much longer. But I haven’t seen it undergo a winter salt onslaught.