PDA

View Full Version : Weird brown stain from grease through coating / clear, thoughts?

zachmat
09-06-2020, 11:00 PM
Hey there detailing experts! So this one has me and my detailer scratching our heads. Truck is 4 months old, was ceramic coated day one with CQuartz UK by professional detailing shop. No issues in past 4 months. Was doing a maintenance wash and noticed a glob of grease looking stuff, washed it and it left behind what appears to be a brown stain. Tried TarX, IronX and clay and no luck. Detailer thinks we’ll need to polish and reapply coating. Thoughts?

Billy Baldone
09-07-2020, 08:58 AM
Light polish should take it off. Your detailer could polish, re coat it in about 10 minutes. i would not charge for this

TMQ
09-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Ditto above or

Take a terry cloth towel, put a dab of polish on the towel and rub on the spot.

Might be able to take out the spot and not have to re-coat if you keep the area very small.

Tom

DUBL0WS6
09-07-2020, 09:59 AM
I wonder if the solvents in a coating are strong enough to remove it.

zachmat
09-07-2020, 11:19 AM
Light polish should take it off. Your detailer could polish, re coat it in about 10 minutes. i would not charge for this

Thanks man, ya unfortunately I feel like he's gonna charge me, said about an hour of his time. Whatever road grease that was was potent, I removed it that day and this was the result, would have figured the coating would have prevented this.

zachmat
09-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks Tom, ya I was debating just leaving it, its not noticeable to anyone but me, but driving me insane. Figured the coating would have prevented this, the grease was maybe on there for half a day. Thanks for the help!

2black1s
09-07-2020, 11:39 AM
I had a similar experience several years ago on my 97 Grand Prix GTP. It was white. I got some tire splatter on the paint from a tire dressing.

When I cleaned the splatter off (the same day) it left brown stains in the clear coat behind. I tried polishing to remove the stains but they were so deep into the clear that I didn't remove them all. I did remove one by wet-sanding/polishing but decided not to go that route for all of the stains because of the risk of cut through or otherwise compromising the clear coat.

Fast forward a bit... 100% of the stains faded away on their own. I don't remember the exact time-frame but I'd say it was weeks, not days.

So from my experience I'd suggest cleaning the area as well as you can (which it sounds like you already have done) and then letting nature take its course. The stain may fade away over a period of time.

zachmat
09-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Funny you mention it, another Tacoma owner had the same issue on his truck, he noticed his faded in the AZ sun over time. I may go this route as I'd hate to cut through the coating, clear and still be there, especially if its doing no harm staying there. I did iron x, tar x and clayed it so maybe like you said reassess in the future and see if it doesnt fade over time.